Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stovepipe Malfunction - G19

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Stovepipe Malfunction - G19

So, it's been a while since I've been able to shoot and finally got out to the range yesterday with my G19 that I carry daily. My carry G19 hasn't been shot in well over a year and basically just been carried with the same mags loaded up since then. Only thing done between the last firing and now is a detail strip and cleaning of the weapon. Previously, there has been ZERO malfunctions with the only modification to the weapon being an APEX FRE and Non-LCI SLB (due to brass to the face). Round count at a documented 1,325 rounds, up to yesterday.

At the range, I fired a mag-worth of my carry ammo with no problems through the same G19 mag that I've carried for years. Felt good about that. Then switched it up to my 124gr ball reloads for my drills that I planned out. For my practice session I decided to take some brand new (Glock brand) G17 mags for function testing because I plan to switch to them for my backup mags for carry. Most strings of fire were between 3 and 5 rounds each. Long story short, within 100rds I had 3 different stovepipes on 2 different G17 mags. This not only caused a stovepipe, but would dislodge the top round in the mag in the process (not sure if that's normal for a stovepipe).

Question(s)
    Should I be looking at the mags as the culprit?
    Or is it something with the gun that needs to be adressed?
    OR is it my reloads? (I've shot over 2k documented reloads with the same recipe, sooo...)

TL/DR
    Gen4 G19 with 1,325 malfunction-free rounds starts to stovepipe with the only change being some brand new Glock 17 mags being used. What should I be looking at as the culprit for my malfunctions?

Thanks fellas.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 01-06-17 at 11:43.

Feedback Score
    Since no one else has offered a reply, I'll just do some thinking out loud.

If I'm not mistaken, Glocks do occasionally have function issues when a magazine made for a larger Glock is used in a smaller Glock of the same caliber, right? Threads I've read on the net seem to suggest that slamming the larger mag into a smaller version of the pistol might result in over-insertion of the mag. I'm not saying that's your problem, but it suggests an area of concern for using G17 mags in a G19. I Googled a number of threads on the issue of overinsertion with mags made for a larger Glock being used in a smaller one of the same caliber. Could just be an internet legend, I suppose.

It's odd the problem only occurred with the G17 magazines.

Here's what I would do if it were my gun:

Go to the range with the identical ammo and some actual Glock 19 magazines to see if the function is 100%. Fire as many rounds as you feel comfortable with before pronouncing the reliability acceptable. Then, and only then, re-test with the Glock 17 mags.

If only the G17 mags cause malfunctions again, you'll know that's the culprit. If the pistol malfs with its proper G19 mags and the same ammo, then it's probably the ammo. If it malfs with proper G19 mags, G17 mags, and different ammo, then there's probably something internal going on (like something happened during your detail strip).

My limited experience with reloading taught me that if a known recipe starts malfunctioning then there's a problem with the powder measure "wandering" or something. This actually happened to me and that's why I don't reload anymore.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 01-06-17 at 15:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Return your gun to factory specification, test fire with OEM mags for that model, using domestically produced new manufacture SAAMI spec ammo. Add one variable at a time until you reproduce the malfunction. Then, back one step to the last functional condition.

All bets are off with homeloads and aftermarket parts.

Your G19 should run fine with G17 mags.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I've never heard of the reported issue with 17 mags in a 19. I've only done it a few times but haven't had issues. Keep us updated, I'd definitely check it with factory ammo first. Then mags you know are good. Those are the easiest variables to mess with before uninstalling/reinstalling stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    This not only caused a stovepipe, but would dislodge the top round in the mag in the process (not sure if that's normal for a stovepipe).
    Two questions:

When you say dislodge the top round in the mag do you mean the slide rail has picked it up to feed it, or that it was simply nose forward on the feedramp?

Terminology wise some folks call cases caught lengthwise in the ejection port stovepipes also, do you mean the case was upright in the ejection port?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are apex parts being suspect here in the reference to after market parts?

Feedback Score
    Extractor needs to be fit (although I find it was designed for gen4 g19). But need to verify tension on that first. Use your brass.

Also make sure you are not using the heavier extractor spring since you have nonLCI.
    Last edited by nml; 01-07-17 at 09:11.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I doubt it's the extractor if it passes the extractor test (fire with 1 in chamber without the magazine inserted, verify over several rounds the brass is kicking out to the side and not falling down the mag well). My guess is your hand loads are simply under powered. How old is your Gen4? Does it have the original recoil spring assembly that was recalled (due to being a little too stiff)? Lots of people had stove pipes with the original recoil springs (circa 2011 made guns IIRC).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    I doubt it's the extractor if it passes the extractor test (fire with 1 in chamber without the magazine inserted, verify over several rounds the brass is kicking out to the side and not falling down the mag well).
    1911 test, of little value for most others.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Exactly. You need to verify fitment with all kinds of brass. There's tolerance in the Glock slides themselves AND between models which is why I believe the Apex was designed for the G19. I don't consider the Apex like other aftermarket parts because it is actually trying to replicate the previous extraction system before Glock made it worse, but it is still not what came out of the factory so it's up to you to make sure it is doing its job.

I've mentioned a G17 Gen4 before; (circa 2010/2011) that stovepiped out of the box with the 336 ejector. At some point in time an Apex and 30274 found its way into the gun. It extracted properly, until I encountered an ammo batch with a number of smaller spec brass that had insufficient tension. Worse than stock at the point because of the geometry. Now I don't trust this gun with the stock extractor but the fitted Apex should pass the test of time ... we'll see. Since this is a gun that now functions I can finally see what the stock barrel is capable of with HST.

There was fresh shiny 19 in my last class with a challenged shooter. One of the new 4 letter serials. Ammo was weak ... the gun was choking like crazy. Instructor mentioned something about it not being a Glock problem just a shooter problem. I kept my mouth shut and avoided eye contact.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast