Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stovepipe Malfunction - G19

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Here's what I would do if it were my gun:

Go to the range with the identical ammo and some actual Glock 19 magazines to see if the function is 100%. Fire as many rounds as you feel comfortable with before pronouncing the reliability acceptable. Then, and only then, re-test with the Glock 17 mags.

If only the G17 mags cause malfunctions again, you'll know that's the culprit. If the pistol malfs with its proper G19 mags and the same ammo, then it's probably the ammo. If it malfs with proper G19 mags, G17 mags, and different ammo, then there's probably something internal going on (like something happened during your detail strip).
    Thanks Doc. This is exactly what I planned to do but thought I'd ask here first.

My limited experience with reloading taught me that if a known recipe starts malfunctioning then there's a problem with the powder measure "wandering" or something. This actually happened to me and that's why I don't reload anymore.
    I really don't think the powder measure is having an effect here. These were new reloads that I did a week or so ago and was pretty meticulous on getting the powder throw right and checking it periodically. Every time I checked, I was within .1 grain.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 01-07-17 at 23:56.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Return your gun to factory specification, test fire with OEM mags for that model, using domestically produced new manufacture SAAMI spec ammo. Add one variable at a time until you reproduce the malfunction. Then, back one step to the last functional condition.

All bets are off with homeloads and aftermarket parts.

Your G19 should run fine with G17 mags.
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    Are apex parts being suspect here in the reference to after market parts?
    Apex parts are a known quality part, but, while I don't think it's the problem, I will check that after I've verified that it's not a magazine issue.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I've never heard of the reported issue with 17 mags in a 19. I've only done it a few times but haven't had issues. Keep us updated, I'd definitely check it with factory ammo first. Then mags you know are good. Those are the easiest variables to mess with before uninstalling/reinstalling stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really hope it's not an issue with 17 mags in a 19. I picked up more than a few mags over the last few years that I'd hate to have to dump because of something like that. I've never heard of that being an issue either though.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Two questions:

When you say dislodge the top round in the mag do you mean the slide rail has picked it up to feed it, or that it was simply nose forward on the feedramp?

Terminology wise some folks call cases caught lengthwise in the ejection port stovepipes also, do you mean the case was upright in the ejection port?
    I actually had both types of malfunction (RE: spent case orientation). And yes, the top (live) round in the mag would be dislodged underneath the trapped (spent) casing in the ejection port.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was the last round in the mag each time this happened. Basically, the 2nd to last round fired, weapon cycled but stovepiped, and in the process dislodged the last round below. I remember this because I wasn't able to do a tap/rack to clear the malfunction due to being at slide lock when the last round was dislodged and loose in the ejection port underneath the spent casing.

Any thoughts there?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    I doubt it's the extractor if it passes the extractor test (fire with 1 in chamber without the magazine inserted, verify over several rounds the brass is kicking out to the side and not falling down the mag well). My guess is your hand loads are simply under powered. How old is your Gen4? Does it have the original recoil spring assembly that was recalled (due to being a little too stiff)? Lots of people had stove pipes with the original recoil springs (circa 2011 made guns IIRC).
    I believe I got this Gen4 G19 in April of 2012. I also believe that all the springs and ejectors, ect. are the current part numbers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I never had any issue using G17 mags in my G19. Run G17's with +2 extenders, ETS 22 & 31 rounders, G18 33rounders..ect.
    All have been 100%.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    If they were old beat up mags or off brand I would look at them, but being new Glock mags I don't think you'll get that lucky. G18 mags get run alllllll the time. April 2012 is definitely the latest ejector (last change I know of to gen4 9mm platform, outside of the frame molds).

As far as round dislodged etc sounds normal to me with a FTE. Slide is coming for and starts to chamber round but FTE stops it... IMO three things are possibly happening:
    1 either the extractor is loosing tension on the case and without the magazine tension (less support from an empty/almost empty mag than a full one) the case is hitting the ejector suboptimal
    2 the slide velocity is too slow
    3 the extractor has too much tension (different than fitment) and without the magazine tension helping to force it up, the hit on the ejector is not enough based on slide velocity

3 is less likely
    Last edited by nml; 01-08-17 at 20:05.

Feedback Score
    I havent fired a huge amount thru my G19 with G17. But never had a problem or seen other guys have issue with it either.

I would suspect your reloads first.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This step already may have been suggested. To me the easiest way is trying commercial practice ammo through the 17 mags and see the results. No malfunctions would point the reloads. Unless the o.p.'s past success has been with a large batch loaded at the same time and unless this same batch was used with the 17 mags, then he can not feel as confident about the ammo. Being loaded later at a different time introduces possible variables such as mixed brass with multiple loadings, die settings having changed because of vibration or being removed and reinstalled, powder measure setting having changed, or different bullet even though charge is the same.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Since no one else has offered a reply, I'll just do some thinking out loud.

If I'm not mistaken, Glocks do occasionally have function issues when a magazine made for a larger Glock is used in a smaller Glock of the same caliber, right? Threads I've read on the net seem to suggest that slamming the larger mag into a smaller version of the pistol might result in over-insertion of the mag. I'm not saying that's your problem, but it suggests an area of concern for using G17 mags in a G19. I Googled a number of threads on the issue of overinsertion with mags made for a larger Glock being used in a smaller one of the same caliber. Could just be an internet legend, I suppose.

It's odd the problem only occurred with the G17 magazines.

Here's what I would do if it were my gun:

Go to the range with the identical ammo and some actual Glock 19 magazines to see if the function is 100%. Fire as many rounds as you feel comfortable with before pronouncing the reliability acceptable. Then, and only then, re-test with the Glock 17 mags.

If only the G17 mags cause malfunctions again, you'll know that's the culprit. If the pistol malfs with its proper G19 mags and the same ammo, then it's probably the ammo. If it malfs with proper G19 mags, G17 mags, and different ammo, then there's probably something internal going on (like something happened during your detail strip).

My limited experience with reloading taught me that if a known recipe starts malfunctioning then there's a problem with the powder measure "wandering" or something. This actually happened to me and that's why I don't reload anymore.
    Over insertion is a myth....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZiNNyVh9G4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXohG9HfR1M

MM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast