Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting to Tacticool or vice versa?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Honestly, I believe you are better off with a military cartridge. The .308W is the best choice for a general purpose hunting rifle. For several reasons. Surplus ammo is available along with everything under the sun in the commercial market. The .300WM requires a magnum length action. The .30-06 requires a long action but the .308W can be used in a short action carbine style rifle and even in the AR10 platform. This makes for a much more desirable compact and lighter rifle package. YMMV and everyone has a different opinion. This is just mine! Surplus battle packs are easy to find and don't cost an arm and a leg. I just bought 200rd Hirtenberger battle packs for $100. I'm sure there are better (less expensive) deals but I like Austrian ammo in my Austrian rifle. So, I buy Hirtenberger when I can find it.

My Scout rifle will soon be fitted with a compact Thermal Imager that will also be switchable to my AUG.

SamM
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    Maybe something like a predator rifle is what you desire.

They are not a light as a hunting rifle, yet not as heavy as a tactical rifle.

I don't have any working knowledge of these types of rifles, but they are getting pretty popular with Savage, Ruger, and many other bolt gun mfgs. offering them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ww2farmer View Post
    Maybe something like a predator rifle is what you desire.

They are not a light as a hunting rifle, yet not as heavy as a tactical rifle.

I don't have any working knowledge of these types of rifles, but they are getting pretty popular with Savage, Ruger, and many other bolt gun mfgs. offering them.
    That's a heck of a good suggestion.
    I was looking at a precision rifle web site and there was an article on a Savage Model 10 they were working on, it appeared to have a lot going for it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I agree with the others that 308 Win or 30-06 is going to be a better cartridge starting out.

Based on your location in the Pacific Northwest and what you are looking for in a rifle, a Kimber Adirondack may be something to look at. Lightweight, stainless, threaded and is available in 308 Win (and 3 other calibers). Put some decent glass on there and you'd have a hard to beat lightweight rig. You might look at Zeiss Conquest HD5 scopes for their Lotutec coating, again simply because you are in the Pacific Northwest.
    "Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" - Patrick Henry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    That's true. I live in the Pacific Northwest. That would be my AO.
    I have lived and hunted in the Pacific Northwest for 30 years. Four of those years I was a long-tabber on active duty stationed at Ft. Lewis. A couple of thoughts on this post and on a couple of your other posts:
    1. Learn to hunt before you need to hunt.
    2. A 308 or 30-06 with 180-grain bullets is plenty around here, plus you can find ammo everywhere.
    3. Put 100 rounds through a 300 WM before you buy one, especially a light one. Plenty of folks have trouble managing a lightweight 30-06, and a lightweight 300 WM will be a vicious bitch in the recoil department. It's easy to lie to yourself about recoil during the course of shooting up one box of ammo. Five boxes will cure you of that.
    4. There's a reason that the typical hunting rifle sold in the US weighs about eight pounds--that's where the ability to hump it all day long intersects with the sweet spot for recoil management.
    5. Binoculars are more important for the hunter than rifles. You'll put more meat on the table with $1,000 binos and a $200 rifle than the other way around.

Seriously, get a stainless/synthetic Ruger Hawkeye, Remington M-700, or Winchester Model 70 with a 22" barrel in 270, 308, or 30-06. Put a Leupold scope on it and you can hunt for the rest of your life.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 01-11-17 at 13:30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Spot on.
    In particular the tip on glass/binos and "learn how to hunt, before you need to hunt".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I have lived and hunted in the Pacific Northwest for 30 years. Four of those years I was a long-tabber on active duty stationed at Ft. Lewis. A couple of thoughts on this post and on a couple of your other posts:
    2. A 308 or 30-06 with 180-grain bullets is plenty around here, plus you can find ammo everywhere.
    3. Put 100 rounds through a 300 WM before you buy one, especially a light one. Plenty of folks have trouble managing a lightweight 30-06, and a lightweight 300 WM will be a vicious bitch in the recoil department. It's easy to lie to yourself about recoil during the course of shooting up one box of ammo. Five boxes will cure you of that.
    4. There's a reason that the typical hunting rifle sold in the US weighs about eight pounds--that's where the ability to hump it all day long intersects with the sweet spot for recoil management.
    5. Binoculars are more important for the hunter than rifles. You'll put more meat on the table with $1,000 binos and a $200 rifle than the other way around.

Seriously, get a stainless/synthetic Ruger Hawkeye, Remington M-700, or Winchester Model 70 with a 22" barrel in 270, 308, or 30-06. Put a Leupold scope on it and you can hunt for the rest of your life.

Okie John
    There is so much great advice in this post. I would add that learning to hunt before you have to is probably the most important thing that was said. Killing an animal is easy, harvesting an animal, getting everything from it you can is not. I didn't grow up hunting, this last season was my eighth. The first thing I learned about hunting is that the work starts when you pull the trigger. Tracking, gutting, dragging(or quartering) the animal out is a lot of work. Then when you get it home you have to process and clean all of the meat, and portion it out accordingly. With modern conveniences like electricity, running water, and a vacuum sealer, processing takes me hours. I can't imagine trying it in a eotwawki situation. Just something else to think about while you consider your options.
    Personally I have a 30-06 and a 270, I would feel comfortable with either one as a go to in a situation like you're considering.
    Last edited by Chipper78; 01-11-17 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    That is all very, very level headed advice. And, it's probably the right way to go. But, I'll tell you the truth. I had this idea that if things did go south, I'd want a rifle that could hunt anything in the Nortwest US. And, given that I'm not a hunter, but am am a slightly above average shot in general, a big magnum round would bring down game better than a .308 if I didn't put the round exactly where I want it.

Given that the odds are minuscule in the extreme that I'll ever be in that situation it's best that I start out with a .308 or a 30-06. The 300 Win Mag sure is sexier to goofballs like me though

JRC
    The fact that you referenced "sniping" and shit hitting the fan, I honestly don't know if you're being serious. But if you are, it wont matter what rifle you have because you'll probably be dead in short order.

P.s. a 308win is a very capable hunting round (like up to and including brown bears), and much more pleasant to shoot...not to mention cheaper.
    Last edited by J-Dub; 01-15-17 at 08:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Okie John
    X2.. Maybe look into a good lever gun, lots of forest in Wa.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Meta-Prometheus View Post
    I agree with the others that 308 Win or 30-06 is going to be a better cartridge starting out.
    This.^^

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast