Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Competition experiences wanted...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Colt Competition experiences wanted...

Has anyone here been putting one of these through its paces? If so:

1-What caliber have you been shooting?

2-What's your round count?

3-How do you feel it's accuracy stacks up?

4-Fit and finish of YOUR sample.

Feel free to add anything else that you want to this.

Here is how this affects me: I handled the 38 Super version recently and was pretty happy with it. Once upon a time I bought a stock Government Model in 38 Super and sent it off to Wilson Combat for sights, mag well, trigger, etc. It's my favorite pistol and my most accurate shooter with my raggedy butt able to put 5 shots into 2" groups at 25 yards. What I like about the Colt Competition is that all I would need to add is a mag well and I'd have almost the same thing but it'd come with a FO front sight, as I prefer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have about 2k through mine, I love it. No issues to speak off. More accurate than I am.

The duel, 19 lb recoil spring tames heavy loads, but it's a bit much for gaming. I dropped in a 14 lb spring and GI guide rod (colt duel one won't fit regular springs) because I didn't need the extra reliability or recoil reduction it offers. You get less muzzle dip with a lighter spring... but the slide comes home with less authority. Great pistol either way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have a Colt Competition but I do have a lightly modded Colt .38 SA [new 2012]. All the internals are stock, just sights I can see, dehorn and a new thumb safety. I've been shooting to the exclusion of my other pistols for the past 7 months including 2000 rounds without cleaning or new lube. No issues except failure to go into battery with Checkmate 10 round mags and Armscore ammo. I've moved to a 15# Wilson flatwire spring which gives it a nice smooth recoil stroke and the force to chamber when dirty. I tried the Wilson FW 13# spring but the Geco ammo was ejecting with to much vigor!
    I would expect the Competition model to be at least as good but time will tell.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I've moved to a 15# Wilson flatwire spring which gives it a nice smooth recoil stroke and the force to chamber when dirty. I tried the Wilson FW 13# spring but the Geco ammo was ejecting with to much vigor...
    I made the move to a 15 pound spring as well. Much better feel.

Feedback Score
    I've put just under 50 rounds (6 mags) through a 45 Colt Competition 1911 (not mine) and thought it was pretty decent right out of the box.

Seems everyone on the Interwebz hates the blue fiber insert but it was very usable to my eyes (outside). Ejector had decent tension. Trigger wasn't a handicap. The mag release spring needs a couple coils chopped off IMHO.

Considering the street price should be $850 ish - and the fact that you don't have to replace the slide stop, extractor (both forged) and even the MIM sear and disconnector are well regarded by gunsmiths...
    Seems like a very decent place to start off.
    NRA & GOA - Join the fight!

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregP220 View Post
    Considering the street price should be $850 ish - and the fact that you don't have to replace the slide stop, extractor (both forged) and even the MIM sear and disconnector are well regarded by gunsmiths...
    Seems like a very decent place to start off.
    Couldn't agree more. The trigger in the sample I handled was also great, though part of that is probably by virtue of the lighter mainspring that is used in the 38 Super.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregP220 View Post
    The mag release spring needs a couple coils chopped off IMHO.
    I have noticed that new Colt 1911's for the last few years seem to have a really stiff mag release spring. It isn't a huge issue unless you have sort of thick grips - then it can be problematic. As you noted, clipping off a coil or two might be the right thing for those who prefer the thicker grips.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
    I have noticed that new Colt 1911's for the last few years seem to have a really stiff mag release spring. It isn't a huge issue unless you have sort of thick grips - then it can be problematic. As you noted, clipping off a coil or two might be the right thing for those who prefer the thicker grips.
    I clip 2 coils off my stock Colt magazine releases. It helps greatly.

My competition (.45) only has around 400 rounds, split about evenly between over ball and hollow point. Some of the rounds were shot with the pistol wet and muddy. A single malfunction was encountered and was likely magazine related, as I later found the magazine was barfing rounds into my mag pouch. Fit and finish were where one would expect for the price. As mentioned, magazine release was too stiff, thumb safety was too stiff, slide release too stiff. I *hate* blueing because it has zero purpose on anything but a reproduction firearm, so I had it cerakoted. The edges, as on all new colts, were extra sharp and hand melted before refinishing. Accuracy was average for a production 1911 (as in very good). I would consider buying it again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    I clip 2 coils off my stock Colt magazine releases. It helps greatly.

My competition (.45) only has around 400 rounds, split about evenly between over ball and hollow point. Some of the rounds were shot with the pistol wet and muddy. A single malfunction was encountered and was likely magazine related, as I later found the magazine was barfing rounds into my mag pouch. Fit and finish were where one would expect for the price. As mentioned, magazine release was too stiff, thumb safety was too stiff, slide release too stiff. I *hate* blueing because it has zero purpose on anything but a reproduction firearm, so I had it cerakoted. The edges, as on all new colts, were extra sharp and hand melted before refinishing. Accuracy was average for a production 1911 (as in very good). I would consider buying it again.
    I'd say my biggest complaint with the pistol is the matte blue finish. I don't mind wear on guns, but I breath on this thing and it's showing steel through... not just from holster wear, but from my hands on the grip. I mean, I'm in AZ and I was suprised to find some rust on it last week. I want to get it melonited... but I know one day i'll have custom work done to it so I think I need to wait to get it all done in one go. I wish they would PVD the competition line. Hell, I wish they offered it in that beautiful FDE PVD finish they use on the m45.

Btw, how is Fusion as a custom shop? Looks like they would melonite it, flatten the slide top, cut and crown the barrel, and install a flat trigger for under 500. Anyone know the wait time?
    Last edited by foxtrotx1; 02-12-17 at 15:52.

Feedback Score
    Every place I've looked at wants $400 or more to do an Ion Bond (pvd) finish.

I'd be OK with parkerized or a melonite/tenifer type finish (even better).
    NRA & GOA - Join the fight!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast