Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt Competition experiences wanted...

Feedback Score
    Have one in 9mm, it seemed reasonable tight for a Colt when new. But after only several hundred rounds, its gotten the typical Colt loosey goosey frame / slide fit. Shoots great.

The blue theme is dorky.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't carry the gun, but I do shoot it a lot. It's only rusting on the frame. The slide is rust free despite having more missing finish than the frame. It seems to be "browning" under even a coat of oil. Could this be a result of the bluing process? I added an ed brown magwell. it's having the same issue.

I love this pistol, but when i get the cash for the custom work... it's getting melonite.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Looked at a 9mm and .45 today. Thumb safety function was horrible. Very gritty on and spongy/gritty off. Not impressed at all. Looked at springfield ro in operator and base models. Felt tighter with far far better safety. Anyone else experience this?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I've done "triggers", changed RS's/guide rods and tweaked thumb safeties on a couple 9mm's for range buds.
    For the price it seems an entirely serviceable range/game gun.
    And it's a Colt.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bear13 View Post
    Looked at a 9mm and .45 today. Thumb safety function was horrible. Very gritty on and spongy/gritty off. Not impressed at all. Looked at springfield ro in operator and base models. Felt tighter with far far better safety. Anyone else experience this?
    It's typical of Colts to be hit or miss on the thumb safety fit. I have a Colt Rail Gun that had a poorly fitted ambi thumb safety which I replaced with a Wilson bulletproof model. In exchange for offering more forged parts and less MIM parts than their price-peer competitors, I feel it's an acceptable trade-off, if that's what it takes for them to keep the gun at or below the $1k mark.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    I wouldn't mind at all except the frame won't stop rusting. I can't put enough oil on it. I'm in AZ btw. Humidity has been below 40 percent....
    I've heard of some guys using wax, maybe car wax? Mine don't rust even though I live in the south. I wipe them down after carry and use ballistol.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    I don't carry the gun, but I do shoot it a lot. It's only rusting on the frame. The slide is rust free despite having more missing finish than the frame. It seems to be "browning" under even a coat of oil. Could this be a result of the bluing process? I added an ed brown magwell. it's having the same issue.

I love this pistol, but when i get the cash for the custom work... it's getting melonite.
    This is why guys would HC their frames, introducing the "two tone" back in the day.
    The slides never seemed to rust, but grip safety's, MSH's, front straps were prone to rust.

Melonite is a click better than HC in terms of corrosion and abrasion resistance.

Feedback Score
    1. 9mm
    2. ~1,000 rounds
    3. Accuracy with a FO front sight leaves something to be desired for me, but I can easily keep 147 gr subsonic rounds in the 2 inch and under group range
    4. Fit and finish are excellent.

I did have to send mine back to Colt because it was spitting empties straight back into my eyes. Five weeks later, Colt had it back and now it does nothing but run perfectly.

Feedback Score
    Have 70 Series Stainless in 45 ACP; use conventional Wilson Recoil Spring and Guide; use Wilson buffers at range (never for carry); installed Short Harrison Trigger; clipped two coils off mag release spring; and will install EGW or Wilson pinned ambidextrous safety. (No more advertisements) No problems. Recommend highly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wanted to follow up after complaining about rust. Yes, the pistol was rusting. It's my fault. The second safe I was using to store the pistol was drawing moisture.

It no longer rusts when stored properly or left out.

I did manage to wear through the finish on the front strap though, put about 4k rounds through it this year. Lots of USPSA shooting. It's a raped ape.

I'm enjoying running the gun with a short GI guide rod + 14lb recoil spring. Switching that out and changing the hammer spring to 18lbs was a big improvement in feel.
    Last edited by foxtrotx1; 09-15-17 at 05:40.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast