Thread: Coast Flashlight Long Term Use Quick Review

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Coast Flashlight Long Term Use Quick Review

I've been carrying the same Coast LED flashlight daily for close to 8 years now. It has had a rough life.

I'm not talking little Nancy 3 foot drops. You need to think bigger, like Ran over by a big rig bigger. Not to mention that alone happened 3 times on separate occasions.

Recently the tail cap switch began acting fussy. I would have to find a sweet spot or it would act as a momentary. The light output had also picked up a very slight yellowish tint.

I swapped out the batteries which didn't help. I thought the lens may have needed an internal wipe down, which it didn't. When I had the lens off I noticed the LED "focuser" (my word for a little dome shaped magnifier/lens sitting directly on LED) looked different than it had before.

Disregarding the warnings printed directly on the housing, I touched the LED. The "focuser" fell off the LED. I studied the "focuser" closer and it appears that some sort of adhesive is what joins the two together. It appears to me that the adhesive had began to let go, hence the slight yellowish tint.

This light has earned the right to stay warm and take it easy on a book shelf. It performed better and longer than I could've ever imagined.

Wish the same exact light was still available, but I don't expect any issues from the light taking it's place which is a Polysteel 200. The Polysteel 200 has a very similar size which was the main reason for choosing it. It also produces plenty of light while not being overly bright to minimize splash back on reflective surfaces.

I also own a HP550 which lays down an amazing 1000 lumens and a (I assume) discontinued 100 lumen headlamp that just sips on batteries.

This was suppose to be short, but I'm a customer for life.

On to the carnage,

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

TL;DR
    Coast Flashlights;
    Great performance, longevity when abused for years and priced below what would be expected of a quality light. Buy it.
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 01-07-17 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I have a small "leatherman" light made by led lenser.... just a sample of one, but has been tough as my surefire/streamlights.
    I wish they still made this model.

Feedback Score
    Great flashlight. Mine's had a priviledged life sitting on the nightstand.

Feedback Score
    Good to hear! My brother gave me a coast penlight for Christmas and I've been really liking it. It's the HP3R, usb rechargeable or 2xaaa. Pretty sweet light for the size.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Interesting update;

I didn't know if Coast would find any of my findings of value or not. Spent a few minutes to contact them. Was pleased to see a "Contact the President" tab on their website. Dropped a quick e-mail linking to this thread. Didn't request any warranty possibilities as my light was purely operator abuse.

Well, Mr. Brands took the time to not only respond but also to thank me for the quick write up and pictures.

Got this in the mail today at no charge,

Mr. Brands said "I think you'll like the PX1". He was right. It's an amazing little light.

Deal in confidence with the product and the people behind it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review! I appreciate you taking the time to spread the word.

Feedback Score
    I swear by my Coast HL7 headlamp. Slide dimming feature and the ability to focus and flood the beam is super handy. Outdoorgearlabs rated this as their #1 headlamp, beating out some Black Diamond and other more expensive brands. I have a couple headlamps from Pelican and Princeton Tec and I always grab the Coast when I head out. You really can't beat it for something under $30.

PS- The face that the president got back to you is pretty damn cool. Reminds me of SOTECH...Jim is a super friendly and great guy.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Interesting update;

I didn't know if Coast would find any of my findings of value or not. Spent a few minutes to contact them. Was pleased to see a "Contact the President" tab on their website. Dropped a quick e-mail linking to this thread. Didn't request any warranty possibilities as my light was purely operator abuse.

Well, Mr. Brands took the time to not only respond but also to thank me for the quick write up and pictures.

Got this in the mail today at no charge,

Mr. Brands said "I think you'll like the PX1". He was right. It's an amazing little light.

Deal in confidence with the product and the people behind it.
    Sounds like nice CS... thanks for the follow up👍
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings