Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense ISR Integrally Suppressed Rifle

Feedback Score

Daniel Defense ISR Integrally Suppressed Rifle

Daniel Defense will release their first suppressor product next week at SHOT Show. The Integrally Suppressed Rifle (ISR) is an AR built on a pistol length gas system chambered in 300 AAC. It’s business end features a 10.3″ cold hammer forged barrel with a 5.7″ permanently mounted sound suppressor that brings the overall barrel length to 16.145″.

Daniel Defense looked at the popularity of 300AAC Blackout offerings across the market and realized that the ISR was an elegant way to combine the best characteristics of the round into one platform. The ISR is was not built to compete in a military contract, it was conceived, designed and built for the commercial market, though Daniel Defense anticipates interest from the military.

“The ISR takes advantage of the best characteristics of the 300BLK round without adding weight, length, or the cost of an extra tax stamp to an unsuppressed rifle of the same length,” said Jordan Hunter, Daniel Defense’s director of marketing. The guns are going to be sold as complete guns with no option to buy just an upper receiver group. At least not initially, Jordan said.

The overall barrel length, including the welded-in-place suppressor, means you only need to pay for a single tax stamp — not two as you’d need if you were buying a short barreled rifle and a separate sound suppressor.

Daniel Defense could have teamed up with any number of industry partners to bring a suppressor into their lineup, but they chose to make their own can. “Who do we want to trust with our brand,” asked Jordan, “The quality of our product and the perception of our brand is so important to us that we decided to do it ourselves.”

It’s unclear if the ISR marks Daniel Defense’s entry into the suppressor market. “We have the ability to do anything” said owner Marty Daniel, “nothing is off the table.”

The AR platform rifle weighs a numerically significant 7.62 lbs. The suppressor features stainless steel construction, 17-4PH monolithic baffles and a salt bath nitride finish. DD hasn’t offered any metrics on sound reduction, but they say the can’s performance is on par with something like an AAC 762-SDN-6.

The suppressor is threaded and welded to the gas block. The gas block is mounted with a spiral roll pin and then spot welded in place to the cold hammer forged barrel. Maintenance should be straight forward, as the baffle core is removable.

On the outside, the barrel and can are covered by a Daniel Defense 12″ MFR handguard. The MFR is a thin and small diameter handguard, so heat buildup was a consideration during development, but it turned out to be a non-issue. Jordan says that after five full auto mag dumps, the rail was warm enough to be uncomfortable but not hot enough to cause burns. Running the gun with gloves will make the experience more comfortable if you are hell-bent on plowing through a month’s supply of ammo in a day.

The rifle will cost $3199 and will ship in April. The ISR will be ready for it’s debut on the firing line at the SHOT Show Media Day at the Range, this coming Monday.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...ed-rifle/#more
    Last edited by johnpuga1982; 01-11-13 at 19:18.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I personally think the current state of madness, and extreme uncertainty with regards to an AWB will make it that much harder for the fledgling 300blk to be adopted by any real numbers. Just my 2cents.

I'm sure it will be a quality rifle coming from DD
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 01-11-13 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    so is there only one stamp for this thing?! I wouldn't mind getting into 300blk. Was trying to looking for a 300blk SBR upper until i realized that I couldn't get the ammo.
    Last edited by C45P312; 01-11-13 at 20:21.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C45P312 View Post
    so is there only one stamp for this thing?! I wouldn't mind getting into 300blk. Was trying to looking for a 300blk SBR upper until i realized that I couldn't get the ammo.
    Yeah, only a stamp for the suppressor is required.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like it!

...and to think- some thought a permanently fixed suppressor was a bad idea.

All I gotta do now, is figure out which kidney to sell
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Wow. Good job, DD.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Yep, definitely want to get my hands on that

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I like it!

...and to think- some thought a permanently fixed suppressor was a bad idea.
    It still is.

The only reason that thing exists is because of the NFA.

It defeats one of the main benefits of the 300blk by having much more power in SBRs compared to 5.56
    Last edited by scottryan; 01-11-13 at 23:09.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    18 (91%)
    Looks good. I'd rather have a mk18 but that is a sweet rig. Suppressor looks cool too.
    rcsperformanceonline.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    It still is.

The only reason that thing exists is because of the NFA.

It defeats one of the main benefits of the 300blk by having much more power in SBRs compared to 5.56
    It still is an SBR, the barrel is approx. 10" it's only the silencer tube that brings it to 16". Most of the 300BLK's with silencer are running similar lengths with either thread mounted or QD cans installed. An AAC 9" upper with a 762SDN-6 is only an inch shorter. If they had similar barrel lengths they would be the same size, only you have to put the AAC upper on a registered lower.

If the overall length is that important, you're not going to be running a silencer as all it does it put you into 16" length. For people who want a silenced 300BLK that's still handy, and still shorter than a non-NFA 556 gun with a silencer, and only one stamp, this is right up their alley.

The mass appeal is that this is a one stamp gun. The other offerings on the market require two. I'm not sure why you do not see the benefit in that considering the length issue is a wash.

And gunslinger, why would you want a Mk18 over this? The 300BLK was designed to eclipse the performance of 5.56mm SBR's, and it succeeds in doing so. A Mk18 with the as-issued KAC can is a similar length as this upper.
    Last edited by JohnnyC; 01-12-13 at 01:50.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast