Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AK74: Issue or not?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peshawar View Post
    Sounds like you might have a new barrel that headspaced a little tight. This method of press checking is one of the few nice things on the AK and should work just fine. OP, are you only able to retract the carrier / charging handle about 1/4" before you meet resistance? The carrier isn't unlocking the bolt until you draw it back past that. It might be that your cartridge's bullet is stuck in the lands of the barrel's rifling. Next time you get a chance, perform the press check and if you run into the problem eject the cartridge and examine the bullet. Are there pronounced marks on it where it was engaging the rifling? If so that's likely your issue.
    This. If it is difficult to extract an unfired cartridge or rechamber that cartridge while it's still held by the extractor, it's likely that your headspace is a little tight. While it's possible the headspace will wear open to normal with a little use, too little headspace is dangerous because it causes higher chamber pressures when firing, so keep an eye on it.

Feedback Score
    LowSpeed_HighDrag, do you by chance have headspace gauges?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    LowSpeed_HighDrag, do you by chance have headspace gauges?
    Unfortunately, no, I do not.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    So....I diagnosed the "problem". The pressure of the loaded magazine is causing the bolt to be sticky when returning to battery in a press check. No mag inserted=no friction and no problem. Crisis averted, and with around 600 rounds through it so far, they've all been flawless.

Feedback Score
    I have about 25K through one of my Arsenal SLR 105R's and it still holds around 3 MOA. Sounds like you have teething issues. Just needs more ammo run through it is all. A lot more ammo. Likely was built on the tighter side of tolerances.

7n6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12