Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jumping on the duracoat bandwagon.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have no experience with Gunkote but I thought it was an oven cure product. I don't have a full size oven that I can use to bake a barreled action so I stick with the air cure stuff and as long as the metal prep is done well the performance is quite good. I've tried the Brownells Aluma-Hyde and I still prefer the DuraCoat to that because of the long cure time with the Aluma-Hyde.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    OP, if it turns out the way you like, please post some pics!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    OP, if it turns out the way you like, please post some pics!
    I'm certainly hoping it will. The only delay right now is finding a warmish place to start spraying the parts. The wife would kill me if I spray in the basement (again).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I did two jobs in the basement and she said no more lol. The last time I even constructed somewhat of a paint booth out of plastic drop cloth that sealed off a part of the basement and connected to a window for venting and fumes still got upstairs. Luckily my folks live close by and I can use their garage for painting activities, it warms up pretty good out there, there's a TV, a frig, it's a pretty sweet set up actually.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Range Trigger Monkey View Post
    I did two jobs in the basement and she said no more lol. The last time I even constructed somewhat of a paint booth out of plastic drop cloth that sealed off a part of the basement and connected to a window for venting and fumes still got upstairs. Luckily my folks live close by and I can use their garage for painting activities, it warms up pretty good out there, there's a TV, a frig, it's a pretty sweet set up actually.
    Looks like I'll be planning to paint Tuesday. Temps will be up in the 50s out side and I'll be setting up a heated paint booth (groundblind) in my open air barn. Results will follow....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have no experience with Gunkote but I thought it was an oven cure product. I don't have a full size oven that I can use to bake a barreled action so I stick with the air cure stuff and as long as the metal prep is done well the performance is quite good. I've tried the Brownells Aluma-Hyde and I still prefer the DuraCoat to that because of the long cure time with the Aluma-Hyde.
    KG1200 is air cure for stocks and scopes. In my experience of a few polymer pieces it didn't wear very well and having to use a heat gun to sweat mold release out of plastic parts prior to abrasive blasting was an added hassle.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 01-16-17 at 09:23.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Anyone have any experience with the Brownells branded oven cure gunkote?

I've got a can sitting on the bench I intended to use to refinish a zastava cz99 beater I picked up for <$150. Almost a year on haven't found the time...

Nate
    NAAH Tool Works
    Naahtoolworks@gmail.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well it's been a interesting start down the duracoat trail. After doing some initial testing with my airbrush I decided against doing my AR yet. The airbrush puts out so little paint it would take hours and hours to do the whole Ar with multiple layer. I will have to invest in a painters gun to finish that task. But after seeing some pictures online I decided to two tone my Glock 19 with multi beige and multi tan. I really like the way it came out and the finish appears to be holding pretty well. Only have noticed one blemish so far and that was due to a piece of lint or dust that was on the slide when I sprayed.

Here's the picture

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ISiman/oh View Post
    Well it's been a interesting start down the duracoat trail. After doing some initial testing with my airbrush I decided against doing my AR yet. The airbrush puts out so little paint it would take hours and hours to do the whole Ar with multiple layer. I will have to invest in a painters gun to finish that task. But after seeing some pictures online I decided to two tone my Glock 19 with multi beige and multi tan. I really like the way it came out and the finish appears to be holding pretty well. Only have noticed one blemish so far and that was due to a piece of lint or dust that was on the slide when I sprayed.

Here's the picture

Damn that did turn out nice. Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ISiman/oh View Post

Here's the picture

I've used a horror freight detail gun to spray several non gun projects. They work surprisingly well for the $10 price tag.

Nate
    NAAH Tool Works
    Naahtoolworks@gmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast