Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Philippine-manufactured 1911's

Feedback Score

Philippine-manufactured 1911's

These are sold here under a variety of brands - Iver Johnson, Cimarron, Citadel, Armscor, etc. The majority of comments that I've heard seem to be generally positive. Anyone know how their long-term durability has been?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    These are sold here under a variety of brands - Iver Johnson, Cimarron, Citadel, Armscor, etc. The majority of comments that I've heard seem to be generally positive. Anyone know how their long-term durability has been?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Rock Island Armory also makes 1911s in the Phillipines I believe. I have only had hands on experience with them, but they were pretty positive. I don't own one, but my range buddy does, in several trips and probably about 1,000 rounds it has performed just about flawlessly. Less jams than his Kimber, but in all fairness, the kimber had a higher overall round count on it also. I know 1,000 rounds is hardly a torture test, but so far it has performed better than I thought it would for a sub $500 1911. YMMV

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Rock Island Armory also makes 1911s in the Phillipines I believe. I have only had hands on experience with them, but they were pretty positive. I don't own one, but my range buddy does, in several trips and probably about 1,000 rounds it has performed just about flawlessly. Less jams than his Kimber, but in all fairness, the kimber had a higher overall round count on it also. I know 1,000 rounds is hardly a torture test, but so far it has performed better than I thought it would for a sub $500 1911. YMMV
    Rock Island Armory, Cimarron, and others are Armscor products. I've had 5 RIA's and 1 Cimarron. 4 of the 5 RIA's were excellent as was the Cimarron. I still have 2 full size Rocks and a compact (3.5" barrel). And more so than not, the customer service is excellent w/ the lifetime warranty stays with the firearm no matter how many owners. The CS facility is in Pahrump, Nevada.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Rock Island Armory, Cimarron, and others are Armscor products. I've had 5 RIA's and 1 Cimarron. 4 of the 5 RIA's were excellent as was the Cimarron. I still have 2 full size Rocks and a compact (3.5" barrel). And more so than not, the customer service is excellent w/ the lifetime warranty stays with the firearm no matter how many owners. The CS facility is in Pahrump, Nevada.
    Thank you for clarifying that, Bama. I was unaware they were all under the same roof.

Feedback Score
    I have zero direct or indirect experience with them, but you may find this interesting...Mr. Gunsngear interview at Battlefield Vegas. Armorer has positive comments. 11:33 starts some discussion on RIA durability. Reportedly, they hold up very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PApRcRE-ft8
    Last edited by brushy bill; 01-10-17 at 22:15.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've had a couple of full size ria guns. One in 10mm, other in 45. The 45 ran just fine but grip and thumb safeties had sharp, abrasive edges. Slide stop notch on 10mm mushroomed out very quickly and had same edges as 45.
    They fixed it under warranty with no hassle. For a budget pistol they are good if you don't want to change anything or have work done on it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If one could buy a like new used one showing a depreciated price, then that would be a really good deal for a range toy. According to reviews they do run but so does my Expanse upper hybrid, which will forever keep me in the dirt clod/stump shooter category. The man who buys the RIA 1911 must never say that Colt 1911 purchasers are paying for name only. If he does, then he should ask to accompany me on my next dirt clod shoot.

Feedback Score
    I swear the Phillippine 1911s have smaller trigger guards than a standard 1911.

Feedback Score
    Makes a better platform to start work on than say Springfield IMO.

Feedback Score
    Guess it's all a matter of perspective. Talking to my brother-in-law who has owned a couple of these, he says that any 1911 coming out of the Philippines is pretty much a steaming pile of crap and should be avoided. Evidently his experience was not a positive one. To be fair, I've heard more than a few negative opinions on these guns.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast