Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Philippine-manufactured 1911's

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
    Makes a better platform to start work on than say Springfield IMO.
    I'm no expert on 1911s but seeing the SA here documented at 114k rounds I'd want to see a Philippine one like that before making that kind of statement

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 01-11-17 at 14:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I swear the Phillippine 1911s have smaller trigger guards than a standard 1911.
    I just mic'd the inside of a FS Rock and a CZ 1911. Lengths and heights (inside dimensions) were within 0.0010" of each other.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Some STI's are made there too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    If one could buy a like new used one showing a depreciated price, then that would be a really good deal for a range toy. According to reviews they do run but so does my Expanse upper hybrid, which will forever keep me in the dirt clod/stump shooter category. The man who buys the RIA 1911 must never say that Colt 1911 purchasers are paying for name only. If he does, then he should ask to accompany me on my next dirt clod shoot.
    I have no great love for my overpriced (at the time) Colt. The one I purchased in Sep 2014 was a bit north of 1,000.00. That was the going rate and when I decided I wanted one. Bad timing. Not that long ago the same new Colt was bringing mid-upper 800.00. I do appreciate the finish on the pistol however for its intended purpose I see it as a decent 800.00 max pistol. I more highly rate the CZ and my Valor. If I have a favorite, it's probably the Valor followed by the CZ and Norinco.

Last edited by bamashooter; 01-11-17 at 18:25.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I should clarify that some STI models are on Phillippine-made frames and on those, some of the components are not "regular" STI parts leading me to believe they are also Phillippine-made parts. As to top ends on these guns I do not know.

Feedback Score
    I have never owned any PI 1911, but at a Gunsight 250 pistol class (my first) in 2011, there was a group of older guys in my class who came as a group, and two of them were running Cimmeron 1911's. At that time, I was extremely unfamiliar with 1911's, and really didn't know much about them except they were single action, most of the staff carried them, and they were all .45 ACP (which I later learned was wrong, but it shows my knowledge level at the time).

About half my class of 22 students ran 1911's. The rest of us had Glocks, Springfield XD's, a couple Beretta 92's, and at least 1 Sig 229. By Wednesday, several of the 1911's started to go down, and I'm talking some fairly high end guns. One for sure was an Ed Brown, another was a Les Baer. I know the other that was having a lot of issues was a Springfield of some flavor. I can not tell you if these failures were ammo/mag/gun related, probably a combo, but what I KNEW was the guys from TX never had a problem with any of their guns. BTW, I don't remember a single failure from any non-1911.

Anyway, I was eating lunch on Thursday with these guys, and I asked them what their secret was, since it appeared to me that 1911's had issues with high round count and wondered why theirs ran so flawless. I asked them if their guns were expensive, "top of the line" firearms. The busted out laughing and told me their guns cost less than $400 each new and were made in the PI. But one guy told me the other guy was one of the best 1911 gunsmiths he knew, and he'd 'had a few miles behind him'. The Smithy told me his secret. He would buy new Cimmeron 1911's, which he said were made on Colt production machinery. He would take the new gun apart, replace every spring and wearable part, tweak the trigger, clean and lube it, and if it had any bugs, he would fix them. He claimed that if you knew your way around a 1911, these Cimmerons were a great base to start from.

I have no idea how much of the story I was told is true, bu I do know one thing, their guns ran great while other folks were having to go into a shooting bag and grab a spare 1911 to continue the class while the Gunsite Smithy worked on their gear.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The other large 1911 manufacturer over there is Shooter Arms Manufacturing (SAM). They too export assorted brand names.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    I have never owned any PI 1911, but at a Gunsight 250 pistol class (my first) in 2011, there was a group of older guys in my class who came as a group, and two of them were running Cimmeron 1911's. At that time, I was extremely unfamiliar with 1911's, and really didn't know much about them except they were single action, most of the staff carried them, and they were all .45 ACP (which I later learned was wrong, but it shows my knowledge level at the time).

About half my class of 22 students ran 1911's. The rest of us had Glocks, Springfield XD's, a couple Beretta 92's, and at least 1 Sig 229. By Wednesday, several of the 1911's started to go down, and I'm talking some fairly high end guns. One for sure was an Ed Brown, another was a Les Baer. I know the other that was having a lot of issues was a Springfield of some flavor. I can not tell you if these failures were ammo/mag/gun related, probably a combo, but what I KNEW was the guys from TX never had a problem with any of their guns. BTW, I don't remember a single failure from any non-1911.

Anyway, I was eating lunch on Thursday with these guys, and I asked them what their secret was, since it appeared to me that 1911's had issues with high round count and wondered why theirs ran so flawless. I asked them if their guns were expensive, "top of the line" firearms. The busted out laughing and told me their guns cost less than $400 each new and were made in the PI. But one guy told me the other guy was one of the best 1911 gunsmiths he knew, and he'd 'had a few miles behind him'. The Smithy told me his secret. He would buy new Cimmeron 1911's, which he said were made on Colt production machinery. He would take the new gun apart, replace every spring and wearable part, tweak the trigger, clean and lube it, and if it had any bugs, he would fix them. He claimed that if you knew your way around a 1911, these Cimmerons were a great base to start from.

I have no idea how much of the story I was told is true, bu I do know one thing, their guns ran great while other folks were having to go into a shooting bag and grab a spare 1911 to continue the class while the Gunsite Smithy worked on their gear.
    I found my Cimarron to be an excellent pistol. It too is Armscor imported by Cimarron in Texas who is well known for their "cowboy" guns. The blued 1911s came in raw and then polished / blued to a high luster by Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing in Florida. Recently sold my Cimarron. Photos don't do it justice. The Colt tools and machinery is an urban legend as it is w/ the Norinco.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ditto on Colt machinery in Philippines being b.s.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    Ditto on Colt machinery in Philippines being b.s.
    Like I said, I had no idea about how much of their story was true, and sorry for perpetuating the PI-Colt connection, but as one of those guys shot in the lane next to me, I can tell you he didn't have a single issue with his 1911, so they had something going for them...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast