Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Philippine-manufactured 1911's

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Please keep us informed about this pistol's performance record. Many of us will read your posts to learn how it works. These pistols may be sleepers in the handgun world.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently returned from the Philippines. I spent most of my time there at Marikina(spelling) its the home of Armscor. The VP of the facility is a good friend and I was able to spend several days there shooting and training.

I was able to use 2 1911's. One was a 9mm house gun (rental gun) and the other was a double stack .45 also a house gun. The 9mm had over 50k rounds. That was a rough estimate as the VP said it was one of their oldest still used rental guns. The gun had been in constant use for over 10 years.

The double stack had about 5k-10k. It had obviously not see as much use as the 9mm.

He he also let me play around with 2 of his personal 1911's which had some very good smithing done to them. I will try to attach some pics of the guns. Im not to sure how to load em to a proper size, sorry if they display in tiny thumbnails.

One was a charles daly commander sized and the other a full sized Armscor. Both guns had over 10k rounds through them. He has owned both for over 8 years and shot many a competition with them. The charles daly was his carry gun for a few years.

The 9mm was a tack driver. I was really surprised and honestly I wanted to buy it.

The double stack shot very well. Just a little high.

No stoppages what so ever with both guns.

Of his 2 personal guns both behaved flawlessly. The Daly was more pleasant to shoot then the full size and no lie I wanted that little blaster. I ran about 100 rounds through each gun, doing various Pat Macnamara drills.

Stuff coming out of the PI obviously has some QC issues. They are however priced very reasonably. I did see some guns that ran very well and some in horrific conditions. The humidity there does terrible things to steel. There were some guns so rusted that I felt like I needed a tetanus shot just from looking at them.

The gunsmiths there are able to produce some exceptional work, sometimes with just hand tools.

If you do find a good running 1911 from the PI hold on to her!

pi1911.jpg

pi19112.jpg

pi19113.jpg
    Last edited by sn8kedoc; 03-09-17 at 16:44.

Feedback Score
    My commander 9mm, the frame was cut bad and would only lock the side back with Tripp Research magazine. Other than that it shoots like a dream.
    Its a Metro arms, American classic.

Feedback Score
    I have a friend with several RIA 1911s, as well as a Colt and another I cant remember. I have also fired my Uncle's Gold Cup. The Rocks shoot fine, but the full size bit me, due to the sharp edges and uncomfortable grips. The Colts fit and finish were better, and i appreciated the time put into the details. Rocks have their place, but there is a difference with other makers.

Feedback Score
    I have two 1911's.....the first is a Colt Bright Stainless Series 80 Enhanced Gold Cup I bought new in '91 and the other is a RIA 1911 GI that was given to me in leiu of rent in about 2006 (about as different as two 1911's could be).
    The Colt remains unmodified other than a full length guide rod, grips and a spring change, while the Rock Island, until recently, remained original. Well over 10,000 rounds have been fired in the Gold Cup with very few malfunctions...the RIA has only seen about 1500 since I've owned it, but it has been nearly trouble free as well. I recently tired of the unimpressive feel, looks and trigger pull to justify fitting most of the currently available Wilson Combat upgrades to the RIA, which about tripled how much I've got in it, but the truth is it shot nearly as well as the Gold Cup all along (at common handgun ranges), before the upgrades. If mine is typical, I would not hesitate to recommend a RIA 1911 for an entry level 1911 for anyone and would have no qualms about building a pistol from scratch on a RIA frame. Of course since I've only had one, that should be taken into consideration, but I've been very happy with the Philippines- made pistol....

-Rich
    Last edited by desert_dick; 09-10-17 at 19:35.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtmini14 View Post
    i got to ask if they truly are that bad how come they sell so many?
    Cheap and people usually don't shoot enough to find out if its good or bad enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    If you can't pick your shit up at 3pm or 0300 and it's configured to get it done 0-400m in seconds, sideways, upside down, or unstable... your a daylight range clown.

Feedback Score
    Owned a ria, you couldn't give me a another one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
    Cheap and people usually don't shoot enough to find out if its good or bad enough.
    You are correct, most people do not shoot enough to tell and that is why they won't spend over $1,500 on a 1911. Higher dollar 1911s are nice and well worth the money if you are a volume shooter.

The RIA is not without it's faults. I had to adjust the extractor on my RIA Tactical 9mm within the first few hundred rounds. The extractor ran reliably the following 7,000 + rounds before I replaced it with a Wilson Combat extractor during the course of routine maintenance.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit47 View Post
    Mainspring housings will sit proud of bottom of frame.
    The above statement is not always true.

I just installed an Ed Brown Chainlink III mainspring housing on my Rock Island Standard that I refinished a week and a half ago, and everything fit and functions perfectly. There was absolutely no fitting needed at all.

Last edited by RazorBurn; 10-19-17 at 08:57.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456