Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Stage Triggers...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question 2 Stage Triggers...

Geissele SSA vs SSA-E vs G2S vs LaRue MBT-2S for lowers that will be fitted w/ 5.56, .223 Wylde & 6.5G uppers w/ 4150CMV or SS barrels from good manfs but not match grade (no kriegers in my future). Use will be punching paper/steel @ upto 600yds, and of course home defense.

My goal is to have the same trigger in all lowers.

Please respond from personal experience, not just what you have read online.
    Thx,
    Bob

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Take the SSA-E off the list. I love mine but it is too light, IMHO, for general use.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've used all four (if you count the SD-E as the same as SSA-E). The trigger weight you want is a personal preference, so choosing between SSA-E and SSA is up to you. I think the SSA-E is lighter than most people need or benefit from, but it's not unreasonably light - just light. The Larue with the standard spring has a weight that feels in between the SSA and SSA-E weights, but it also comes with a heavier trigger spring.

There is no difference in feel between the SSA and G2S, and per Geissele there should be no difference in reliability or durability, although the SSA gets an additional inspection that the G2S doesn't.

The 2-stage feel and break is very, very similar between the Geissele and Larue, but I have come to have a slight preference for the Larue - it just feels slightly crisper. The difference is tiny, however.

The Geissele triggers have a very well rounded bow with no sharp edges. The Larue is cut from plate steel and is polished but not as rounded. There is not much difference in use, but if you are super-sensitive, or are likely to shoot hundreds of rounds per day, the Geissele is less likely to irritate your finger.

I believe that the SSA is proven in actual military use, and I'm not aware that the others are. The Geissele triggers listed all have a design that has one less part to fail, get lost or break compared to the Larue design (which has a separate pin for the disconnector). However, I have not seen any reports of the Larue breaking, and it looks like an excellent design as well.

If I were you I would go with either all Larue or all Geissele SSA/G2S with no difference in feel between the latter. The Larue is currently available for $125 if you're "in no rush". The G2S is generally in the $150 range depending on sales.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Take the SSA-E off the list. I love mine but it is too light, IMHO, for general use.
    Agree with this. I put one in my coyote rifle and while it's a darn nice hunting/target trigger, I wouldn't put it in all my rifles...

Feedback Score
    The Giessele G2S is what got me into 2 stage triggers. Now all my ARs has a Giessele. I have G2S and SSA. They feel the same, but the SSA is easier to intall. Also, the SSA gets a better QC inspection. They make shooting much more consistent and predictable. I can't go back to milspec trigger anymore. Been temped to try the SSAE, but keep hearing it is to light. I don't have any experience on any other brands. If you have more then 2 rifles to equipt I would recommend the G2S.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I don't feel the SSA-E is unreasonably light. But I feel it is best used for scoped applications as it is designed for. Unless you are trying to mirror a duty rig, I'm a big fan of the SSA or the G2S. With enough patience, I'll eventually have SSA triggers in my non SPR orientated rifles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For a do-all trigger, if I had to choose one, I would go with the SSA. However, if you have multiple lowers, I don't understand the need to have them all the same if they aren't all serving the same purpose. I.e. you mentioned 5.56 and also 6.5G uppers. 6.5G is typically more of a long range round, most likely on a scoped rifle, where a SSA-E would make more sense. However, SSA-E as already pointed out, feels too light for most (myself included, yes I have one on a scoped rifle) for a defense weapon, and I would prefer a SSA if I was using a 5.56 in a HD/SD situation. Can you please let us know why you insist they all be the same?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have SSA, SSA-E, and a NM-match.

I cant personally feel MUCH difference between the SSA and SSA-E. The NM-Match is a whole nother animal, but isnt in this discussion.

To me, obviously the 2nd stage in the -E is lighter, but it simply makes the trigger feel smoother. The SSA is very easy to stage. The SSA-E is much more difficult to stage. I personally like the -E better between the two.

Never shot the Larue so I cant comment.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I have SSA, SSA-E, and a NM-match.

I cant personally feel MUCH difference between the SSA and SSA-E. The NM-Match is a whole nother animal, but isnt in this discussion.

To me, obviously the 2nd stage in the -E is lighter, but it simply makes the trigger feel smoother. The SSA is very easy to stage. The SSA-E is much more difficult to stage. I personally like the -E better between the two.

Never shot the Larue so I cant comment.
    I have experience with the SSA, SSA-E, National Match, and the KAC 2 Stage. None with the MBT.

The SSA and SSA-E are very similar in my opinion, but the SSA-E is much lighter. The KAC 2 Stage is very similar to the SSA, and I am not sure which one I like more. The National Match, as stated above, is completely different. I have the DMR version on my KAC LPR and it is fantastic. I would not run that trigger on any other gun.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have an SSA and the 1st version (gray) of the MBT...I like both, for different applications.

I like the SSA as general purpose trigger...good for close range to 300+ yards. The pull weight and trigger shoe shape work for me in this use.

I actually prefer the MBT for long distance...I like the "lighter feeling" pull of the MBT. The MBT specs from LaRue with the same pull weights as the SSA, but I think it feels lighter, and it break "crisper". I also like the flatter or non convex trigger shoe for this application.

All of this is from the perspective of one way range shooting and hunting.

NC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast