Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Stage Triggers...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    For a do-all trigger, if I had to choose one, I would go with the SSA. However, if you have multiple lowers, I don't understand the need to have them all the same if they aren't all serving the same purpose. I.e. you mentioned 5.56 and also 6.5G uppers. 6.5G is typically more of a long range round, most likely on a scoped rifle, where a SSA-E would make more sense. However, SSA-E as already pointed out, feels too light for most (myself included, yes I have one on a scoped rifle) for a defense weapon, and I would prefer a SSA if I was using a 5.56 in a HD/SD situation. Can you please let us know why you insist they all be the same?
    My thinking to just have one is so no matter what I am shooting, I am always learning the trigger. Due to ammo costs, I will shoot more 5.56 than 6.5G, so when I shoot 6.5G I will know that trigger just as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    +1 on SSA as a general purpose trigger. It takes a little more pressure to break than the SSA-E, which is a fantastic target trigger. I've got both in different purpose carbines.

+1 also on not limiting yourself to just one trigger for all your rifles. I understand standardization, but unless your rifles are all exactly the same, it makes sense to match the trigger to the concept of use for each one.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 01-10-17 at 19:02.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    +1 also on not limiting yourself to just one trigger for all your rifles. I understand standardization, but unless your rifles are all exactly the same, it makes sense to match the trigger to the concept of use for each one.
    This^

I have the SD-E, SD3G, and G2S and they all fill their roles as well as I could ask for. Different feels and characteristics for different rifle roles.

Also, it looks like Geissele is finally releasing their single stage trigger, the Super Speed Precision (SSP). I know you said two stage but it may be worth a look.

1:38 is where he talks about the new trigger.

https://youtu.be/YQKBBDWJzx8

Feedback Score
    My trigger finger can't tell the difference: the G2S & SSA by Geiselle are great 2 stage triggers. I find the SSA-E, too light for my taste.

ETA: fix my typo

Feedback Score
    I own the ssa-e, mbt and rock river varmit. For my thermal coyote hunting rig I have the ssa-e which I like better for hunting. The other two are more for general uses but I some times use the 5.56 for hunting. The mbt is in the 308 and the 5.56 has the rock river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Geissele SD-E or SD-C. Goddamn outstanding triggers. Dat flat face doe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    For a do-all trigger, if I had to choose one, I would go with the SSA. However, if you have multiple lowers, I don't understand the need to have them all the same if they aren't all serving the same purpose. I.e. you mentioned 5.56 and also 6.5G uppers. 6.5G is typically more of a long range round, most likely on a scoped rifle, where a SSA-E would make more sense. However, SSA-E as already pointed out, feels too light for most (myself included, yes I have one on a scoped rifle) for a defense weapon, and I would prefer a SSA if I was using a 5.56 in a HD/SD situation. Can you please let us know why you insist they all be the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
    My thinking to just have one is so no matter what I am shooting, I am always learning the trigger. Due to ammo costs, I will shoot more 5.56 than 6.5G, so when I shoot 6.5G I will know that trigger just as well.
    I also need to add that my wife will be educated on the new triggers. She doesn't shoot nearly as much as I do but if something happened when I was gone, I want the same trigger so it is a variable she does not need to worry about should she need to use the rifle, which of course would under an incredible amount of stress. If they are all the same pull weight there is no worry of her thinking she has a weapon that I may have swapped the lower on, and she would pick the weapon based on the upper and would have no idea what lower is on it. If she knows how one trigger feels, then she knows how all the triggers feel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree the SSA-E is a bit too light for a defensive weapon. For that I actually prefer a single stage such as the ACT, PNT or Sionics Enhanced triggers. I'm really interested in the new Geissele single stage trigger. If you want to go 2 stage, the SSA is a great trigger but IMO it's still a bit too light for a defensive weapon.
    Last edited by 556BlackRifle; 01-10-17 at 23:10.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I've used all four (if you count the SD-E as the same as SSA-E). The trigger weight you want is a personal preference, so choosing between SSA-E and SSA is up to you. I think the SSA-E is lighter than most people need or benefit from, but it's not unreasonably light - just light. The Larue with the standard spring has a weight that feels in between the SSA and SSA-E weights, but it also comes with a heavier trigger spring.

There is no difference in feel between the SSA and G2S, and per Geissele there should be no difference in reliability or durability, although the SSA gets an additional inspection that the G2S doesn't.

The 2-stage feel and break is very, very similar between the Geissele and Larue, but I have come to have a slight preference for the Larue - it just feels slightly crisper. The difference is tiny, however.

The Geissele triggers have a very well rounded bow with no sharp edges. The Larue is cut from plate steel and is polished but not as rounded. There is not much difference in use, but if you are super-sensitive, or are likely to shoot hundreds of rounds per day, the Geissele is less likely to irritate your finger.

I believe that the SSA is proven in actual military use, and I'm not aware that the others are. The Geissele triggers listed all have a design that has one less part to fail, get lost or break compared to the Larue design (which has a separate pin for the disconnector). However, I have not seen any reports of the Larue breaking, and it looks like an excellent design as well.

If I were you I would go with either all Larue or all Geissele SSA/G2S with no difference in feel between the latter. The Larue is currently available for $125 if you're "in no rush". The G2S is generally in the $150 range depending on sales.
    Pretty much covers it and I agree with all. The only one I haven't used is the G2S. I would go with the Larue if you're not in a hurry. I have bought them like this twice. Once took about 30 days and the other was less than two weeks but there is no guarantee. Cost aside, I would probably pick the SSA. Any of them would serve you well but I wouldn't use the SSA-E for what you're describing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

2 Stage Triggers...

If it's going to be used for defensive work, the SSA-E is too light. I like the KAC 2 stage in my rifle well enough that I'm not going to change it, but if I was upgrading a GI trigger I would only be looking at Geissele and KAC. Of the Geissele offerings I would look at the SSA and the S3G. I really like the S3G and feel like it makes an excellent general purpose duty trigger.

EDIT: I had an SSA-E in my BCM mid and it was in fact too light. Excellent trigger but the first stage is very light and the second stage breaks like a glass fart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 01-11-17 at 10:31.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast