Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upper Receiver Decision

Feedback Score

Upper Receiver Decision

Hello All,

The longer I'm on this site, the more I find myself in analysis paralysis when I have to make a decision. I can't seem to do it without running it by the forum first. So, here goes.

Before the election, I went on a panic buying spree getting the parts that I thought would be restricted for pretty much every build that I had planned for the foreseeable future. One of those was a new go to 'battle rifle' and one was a precision build.
    I picked up a Vltor MUR upper for the precision build because it was supposed to be more rigid and reduce POI shift. But, then I decided on an Aero enhanced upper and one of the associated rails that doesn't interface with the barrel nut to try and avoid the POI shift altogether. So, I decided that I'd use the MUR for my battle rifle.

Fast forward to tonight when I started to assemble things. I pull out the MUR upper and I see that I ordered the version without the forward assist. I decided that since it was going on a precision build I wouldn't need it. So, all of that leads to my decision:

Should I go ahead and use the MUR despite the fact that it doesn't have an FA because it's supposedly tougher and I'll likely not need it? Or, should I use one of my standard Aero or Spikes uppers that may not be as rigid but that do have an FA just in case I need it?

If you've made it this far, thank you for taking the time

JRC

Feedback Score
    Its become kinda fashionable to claim the f/a is completely unnecessary and may only cause a problem is used, but when I talked with the two guys that are probably the top two AR builders in the world they both said they would never recommend a duty gun that didn't have one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm in " the have studied it, never done it" category but will offer my opinion. If you think that you may wish to sell or trade it later, absence of the forward assist may make the rifle harder to sell. Dealers would probably beat you down over not having the assist yet still would not reduce their resale price. So your trade value would be lower. If you intend to keep, treasure, and shoot the rifle, informed opinion seems to be that you would never use it. Of course, keeping it forever implies that your build will be satisfactory. Nothing is guaranteed. Since you have doubt, I suggest that you slightly reduce the price, sell yours, and buy another with forward assist. This option relieves fretting and will free you from having to answer a million questions about why you bought one without this feature.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    without the forward assist it does save a little weight

in all honesty have you used it the FA in any situation?
    Me I have had problems with certain ARs not liking certain mags and the FA came into play but as for your build you want rigidity so just use the vltor model

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Just sell it and get the F/A version. Better to have it and not need it etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One reason for building one without a FA is if you are a lefty. It gets in the way of operating and ambi charging handle IMO.

Feedback Score
    Thank you to everyone that took the time to offer advice.

I took the prevailing suggestion and bought one with an FA. The one without is in the EE for $150 if anyone is interested

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...59#post2438359

Thanks,

JRC

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I go out of my way to get only uppers with no forward assist.

I have had malfunctions, done malfunction drills in classes, ect. Never once have had need to a forward assist, and since ditching them never have I missed one.

If your gun does not go into battery you have an issue, figure it out and fix it. Pounding on the FA until it goes into battery is not "fixing it", its forcing it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just for the sake of complete examination of the subject, I'd like to ask a question:

Since the "M" in "MUR" stands for "Modular," is it possible to send the unit to Vltor and ask them to replace the deflector module with a FA/deflector module? Would that work?

I think it is probably the most complicated and expensive option for the OP, but I have never seen a MUR1S. Are the base units of the upper receiver the same with different modules attached?
    Last edited by Amicus; 01-11-17 at 19:23. Reason: Can't type
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    You know, I agree with what you're saying. But, then that little voice pops up and says 'you might need it, best if it's there'. It's really a dumb thought because the odds of my being in a life or death combat situation where my rifle is dirty enough to keep it from going into battery such that the FA would help are infinitesimal. I think I'd be more likely to win the Powerball. Twice. I may need the rifle to defend my home against one or two people, but it'll be clean when that situation starts.

So, it's silly to worry about a FA. But, I still do it.

JRC

Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I go out of my way to get only uppers with no forward assist.

I have had malfunctions, done malfunction drills in classes, ect. Never once have had need to a forward assist, and since ditching them never have I missed one.

If your gun does not go into battery you have an issue, figure it out and fix it. Pounding on the FA until it goes into battery is not "fixing it", its forcing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast