Thread: I need a new duty rifle light

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I need a new duty rifle light

Its about time I replace my duty rifle light. I currently have a Streamlight SuperTac which has served me well.

My requirements are:

Durability and the ability to PID at 100 yards

I work in an area with lots of open desert, washes, and suburbia neighborhoods. Being set up on a perimeter with a long shot or searching open desert and washes is common. My current light isnt the most powerful light but does a great job with throw and allows me PID at 100 yards. My new light needs to at least match it or preferably exceed it.

The top three Ive been looking at are the M600, a P3x in a mount, or the new 2 cell Protac rail mount from Streamlight. Anybody have experience with these that can help?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run a tlr-1 hpl w/ remote switch on my sbr rifle. The zone I patrol has everything from dense neighborhoods, large school/ commercial buildings to large wooded areas and farmlands. This light has been great and I wouldn't change a thing.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I think there are plenty of options that would serve well, but the best would be SureFire's intellibeam scout. Really cool technology, I ordered mine as soon as they became available. I did have an issue with mine, but they fixed it quickly and I haven't had it pop up again. I've only heard good things from others so maybe I was the unlucky one that got a rare lemon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For duty use, I'd go with the proven Surefire M600. I have one of the Streamlight ProTac Rail Mounts and like it (especially at the price), but it's just not a proven system yet. Good choice for HD/backup/range rifle, but I couldn't bring myself to skimp if durability and constant use was a concern such as it is on a duty rifle.

Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've PID'd to 90 yards with the M600U/X300U, and I know it can be used further than that. I just haven't had the opportunity to identify anything beyond that. It's one of the best beams I've used on a rifle.

I'd take the M600U over the P3X. The P3X throws just a hair better, and you do get a more intense spill, but only for 2-3 minutes. The 1000 lumens drop to ~600 after that, which it holds for well over an hour. Flashlight Guide has a graph on it. I can't find a graph for the M600U, but mine seem to hold their full output for the functional life of the batteries, and once it starts dropping, it continues dropping for a few minutes until it's out. I'm not out there measuring lumens, but I've never visually noticed any dimming until the batteries were toast.

So since you're talking about scanning (having the light on constantly), you're basically looking at a gigantic 600 lumen light with a little more run time, or a smaller, lighter, and proven 600 lumen light with a still-generous runtime. The M600U is really the most practical choice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    I've PID'd to 90 yards with the M600U/X300U, and I know it can be used further than that. I just haven't had the opportunity to identify anything beyond that. It's one of the best beams I've used on a rifle.

I'd take the M600U over the P3X. The P3X throws just a hair better, and you do get a more intense spill, but only for 2-3 minutes. The 1000 lumens drop to ~600 after that, which it holds for well over an hour. Flashlight Guide has a graph on it. I can't find a graph for the M600U, but mine seem to hold their full output for the functional life of the batteries, and once it starts dropping, it continues dropping for a few minutes until it's out. I'm not out there measuring lumens, but I've never visually noticed any dimming until the batteries were toast.

So since you're talking about scanning (having the light on constantly), you're basically looking at a gigantic 600 lumen light with a little more run time, or a smaller, lighter, and proven 600 lumen light with a still-generous runtime. The M600U is really the most practical choice.
    Thanks. Thats the exact response Im looking for.

I have the X300U-B on my duty handgun. How does the M600 compare for distance?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I need a new duty rifle light

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Thanks. Thats the exact response Im looking for.

I have the X300U-B on my duty handgun. How does the M600 compare for distance?
    No problem, I considered getting a P3X on a rifle for awhile, but finding the quick drop in output killed it for me.

The Ultra models have identical beams, so if the X300U on your handgun is satisfactory enough for use on a rifle, then the M600U will be too.

Definitely try it in a neighborhood or parking lot with some ambient light for it to punch through, though. That's about the hardest time it's going to have getting light down range, compared to a dark desert or similar environment.

Last edited by Uprange41; 01-14-17 at 10:06.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Don't forget about the Malkoff MD2 series: I use one with their M61T head that uses TLR optics for a focused beam (350 lumens/12,000 lux) and I find it quite capable, with throw equal to my Surefire PR1 Peacekeeper (600 lumens);

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...ducts/m61t-md2

Also the M61HOT head (500 lumens/18,000 Lux) which looks like it would outperform the SF PR1 in both reach and spill;

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...cts/m61hot-md2

Or the Hound Dog 18650 head (900 lumens/29,000 Lux) if you really want to light 'em up at a distance. With this head on the MD2 body, it blows away my SF PR1;

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...8650-head-only

All the heads are interchangeable, if you want options for the same body. For a light that can serve as both hand-held and as a WML, IMO Malkoff is the best available for a no-nonsense, ultra-rugged light. Built in the USA by some mighty nice people, too.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights