Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rheinmetall / Steyr RS556

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    A crossover gas regulator with a silencer setting would be great to have for my AUG. Looking forward to seeing that happen. This would be a nice rifle to compliment my Steyr collection. A few days ago, I contacted Steyr Arms and inquired about the RS556 but no answer yet. I know they are busy with Shot right now. I'll post if I get a reply.

SamM
    I have no idea about the RS556, but I do know that Steyr has some things up their sleeve. In the next couple years going forward, we should see the innovative stagnation that came from Austria down, be replaced with actual new US designed and produced products that consumers want.

Maybe this will be part of Steyr's "industrial revolution", maybe not...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have no idea about the RS556, but I do know that Steyr has some things up their sleeve. In the next couple years going forward, we should see the innovative stagnation that came from Austria down, be replaced with actual new US designed and produced products that consumers want.

Maybe this will be part of Steyr's "industrial revolution", maybe not...
    My contact at Steyr Arms has told me the same thing. Steyr plans to bring more and more manufacturing in-house and new products are in the works. It's a good time to be a Steyr fan. I'd like to see their pistols upgraded with a red dot capability. In time, the entire industry will swing that way. Why not get a jump on it! The Steyr S9-A1 has been one of the most accurate pistols that I have ever shot. The lack of high-cap magazines forced me sell mine.

It's exciting to know that AUG upgrades may be on the horizon as well. The RS556 would be nice to have. I actually do not need one and it would not replace my AUG as my 'go to' rifle. My AUG only needs a full lug rail from PJS to be complete. On the list and waiting.

SamM
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    I'm just liking that magazine. If it's like the AUG mags in more than just general appearance, I'll take a few.

Feedback Score
    Steyr is one of the best manufacturers in the world.

Hell if they release these piston AR variants with actual hammer forged chrome lined barrels- I'd buy a few for sure.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 01-26-17 at 13:38.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm just liking that magazine. If it's like the AUG mags in more than just general appearance, I'll take a few.
    The magazine looks very similar to the Lancer AWM.

Steyr is one of the best manufacturers in the world.

Hell if they release these piston AR variants with actual hammer forged chrome lined barrels- I'd buy a few for sure.
    I'm in as well. The RS556 would be a must have for me.

SamM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    The magazine looks very similar to the Lancer AWM.
    I was looking at a small cell phone picture and saw what I wanted to see. Really wanted to see.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Steyr will call their new AR15 pattern rifle the STM556. Still trying to find out more. What I am hearing sounds very positive. Below is a press release that is several years old.

Steyr introduces a whole new concept of AR15-based assault rifle, the STM-556!
    The AR-15 is definitely the new AK, in that, being no longer the state of the art of individual weapons, its manufacturing technology is nowaday so widely spread that the number of Countries whose arms industry produces AR-15/M16/M4 variants increases day after day. The latest Country to jump on the AR-15 bandwagon is Austria, with Steyr-Mannlicher GmbH, the company known worldwide for the AUG bull-pup assault weapon system, announcing today the launch of its own variant of Eugene Stonerʼs platform. Called the STM-556, Steyrʼs new weapon system is built around two solid billet aluminium receivers, with a monolythic upper, a top MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail for optics and a quad-rail handguard for tactical accessories. Chambered − as of now − only in the NATO standard 5.56x45mm caliber and fed through STANAG 4179 magazines, the Steyr Mannlicher STM-556 rifle comes factory-equipped with MagPul MOE telescoping stock and pistol grip and MagPul flip-up iron sights. The controls reprise the latest standards in AR-15 configurations, and are ambidextrous.

IMG_2354.jpg

Its quick-change barrel will allow the STM-556 to instantly convert from an assault rifle to a CQB carbine, a DMR or an IAR
    Steyrʼs own twist in the STM-556 platform is however a quick-change barrel system that allows rapid conversion into any weapon role that the modern warfighter might require to have handy on the field. Capitalizing on the many AR15-related developments of the past years, the Steyr Mannlicher STM-556 assault rifle can be equipped with a variety of barrel lenghts, from 10.5-inch up. All STM-556 barrels come with a Steyr AUG-style flash hider. Barrel change requires no tools and nothing else but the gun being unloaded, with the magazine out and the bolt held in open position, and allows the STM-556 to be converted from the assault rifle/carbine role to a CQB subcarbine, an infantry automatic rifle or a designated marksman rifle in a matter of seconds. The STM-556 rifle features a peculiar hybrid system between a gas piston and a Steyr AUG-style gas block, making barrel change easier.

IMG_2355.jpg
    No date on production has been released. It's on my list of must have Steyr rifles. Now, I'm on their's!

SamM
    Last edited by SamM; 02-13-17 at 18:11.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I like it. Monolithic upper receivers are a double edged sword but in this case appears necessary. They do have their advantages.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    I'm excited for the RS556 as well. I'm just worried that with the new HK 433, this is going to be another one of those weapons contracts that Steyr loses at the last minute (Similar to the G17 defeating the Steyr GB in the Austrian pistol contract, G36 defeating the AUG for the German rifle contract, and developing the amazing ACR for the US Army only for them to cancel the program.) As the HK copies the AUG/RS556 quick change barrel, but also has a folding stock and is 100% made in Germany, the RS556 will have to have something up it's sleeve to win the contract.

One feature I hope they included, and which would help make the RS556 quite competitive, is a provision for hybrid closed bolt semi /open bolt full auto for use in the IAR role, similar to the one developed for the SCAR HAMR. Combined with the quick change barrel, that would make for a far superior Automatic Rifle then the M27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    While I think steyr makes some great stuff I just don't see the appeal of this. I would much rather spend money on other items in their lineup.

I don't view a QCB as a important feature on a rifle of this type. If I was a unit armorer with hundreds to maintain I might change my tune. However, as it sits, it has a monolithic upper with short handguards and a large exposed gas block that will undoubtedly get very hot. The Colt 6940 is a non starter for the same reason. We moved past this 10 years ago. I just find the HK 416 to be a much more thought out and mature looking system as long as you don't require a QCB. And the HK will no doubt have a Barrel that is on par with the Steyr and a decade long service history with some of the worlds most elite units. As far as king of the hill of the piston AR15 world, there is a clear stand out.

But the rifle will not compete with the 416. Rather the 433 is probably the heavy favorite to win considering it is a clean sheet design tailored specifically to the German desires for their rifle and due to the way it is made, it is more than likely cheaper to produce.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast