Thread: placement of light and grip on a 7 inch carbine handguard

Feedback Score

placement of light and grip on a 7 inch carbine handguard

After watching some of Larry Vicker's vids, I moved my vertical grip towards the forward end of the rail and learned to "choke up" on the foregrip, as if my support hand were shooting "thumbs forward" with a pistol.

But when I mount a light on the left side of 7inch handguards, I find that I have to either move the vfg back towards the magwell to have enough room to keep running "thumbs forward", or keep my grip at the end of the rail but have to go back to a broomhandle grip.

Which option will give me more control, "thumbs forward" grip close to magwell, or extended "broomhandle" grip close to front sight post?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The closer to the front of the rifle you go the more leverage you will have. It might be worth looking into an alternate way to mount the light so it's not at 9 o'clock and screwing with your grip. There are several mounting solutions at reasonable costs if you check around.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)

My solution with a 7" rail and a light+laser. Run the light at 4:30, activate with your thumb.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    And you shouldn't have to ever shift your grip to work your light. It should be an intuitive task.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    And you shouldn't have to ever shift your grip to work your light. It should be an intuitive task.
    nice looking setup. I like how the light placement still allows the laser to be placed at 12 o clock. So do you use a "broomhandle" grip with thumb close to the tail cap of the light, regardless of whether you're planning on using it?

I know kyle lamb mounts the light at the same position, but he runs his thumb over the top of the rail when not using the light.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You really want an offset mount with a shorter rail. Most companies make them depending on your preferences.

It'll put the activation button just in front of where your thumb rides in your new grip, and most of the light itself in front of your rail along the barrel.

It's far and away the best solution.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Yes, I used it like a broomhandle.

I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about what one person or another does with their setup. Kyle Lamb has significantly more experience at a higher level of Unit than I was a part of, but I'm relying on my personal combat and training experiences when stating my opinion that weapon manipulation should be intuitive and accomplished at a subconscious level of competence.

Less jargon: if you can't immediately react to a threat, regardless of lighting conditions, you're setting yourself up for failure.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post

My solution with a 7" rail and a light+laser. Run the light at 4:30, activate with your thumb.
    That's basically it. You can survive without a C-clamp grip.

Feedback Score
    If you're running just a light, you shouldn't have any issues finding a mount that cantilevers the light out next to the FSB on either the 11 or 1 o'clock. This way you can keep your support hand out as far forward as possible on the 7" rail and activate the light with your thumb. Things start getting more complicated when you add an IR laser and start running out of rail space.

Something like this would probably work well for you if you are running a scout type light http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...egic-partners/
    Last edited by pyrotechnic; 01-15-17 at 11:33. Reason: Added link