Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hare-Brained (or not) Prepper Schemes?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    So you are talking about an off grid solar energy system, which was something I was looking into when we built our house last year, but on a larger scale. For a shed, small cabin, or pump house, you'd need collector panels, a controller, energy storage, and an inverter. Very doable at the level you are talking about.

Check out the off grid kits from Grape Solar:

https://m.costco.com/Grape-Solar-400...100049288.html

Pretty much all you'd need besides batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow. That's pretty cool. I may just do that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Wow. That's pretty cool. I may just do that.
    Lots of options out there, and building a kit to meet your needs may be better than buying a complete set up.

Be careful with the Harbor Freight solar gear. I've seen very mixed reviews. Some folks swear by them, and others claim it's just junk made to last a day past the warranty period. Grape Solar seems to be a solid quality manufacturer.

Good solar storage type batteries are worth the extra $ you'll pay for them.

Check out Prepper and RV magazines for good info and tests on solar systems as RV'ers and off grid folks are the ones who use and live by this equipment.

Good luck with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I just saw a small copper still for sale online somewhere ( can't remember where now) and was wondering the legality of home-distilling. While I don't drink, this would be something that I would like to learn/do.

Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    Rather than spend a bunch of money on booze, you could buy a still and research how to make spirits safely.

I dunno how you get licensed to produce spirits for personal consumption, but I know that legally/more practically if anyone in your house wears a CPAP, you can make your own distilled water with it.

Plus you manage to avoid stockpiling crappy booze. In a world where people are bartering, I'd rather be able to actively produce something than simply hope I've saved enough.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234