Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scout Rifle Qs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    I have the Sandman L. Think the TI mounts a little different and brake design is different as well. I am like you, I have almost as much invested in brakes as I do the suppressor.

If you can remember to swap it back to 30cal when shooting 30cal, they have a 22cal/5.56 end plate for it.
    True, the Sandman Ti weighs a lot less at 16+oz. It is not quick detach, it just uses the standard threaded 308 barrels. The other Dead Air suppressors for 308 are longer heavier and require one of their muzzle brakes or flash hiders for each gun you intend to mount it on. The weight of the muzzle brakes and/or flash hiders also add weight. The Sandman Ti is also cheaper, but I don't think it is rated for fully automatic fire.

The Ti suits me. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Little Creek; 01-14-17 at 09:54.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Seems like a decent basic flash suppressor on the rifle, but I assume a good break would reduce the stout, but nut punishing, recoil of this compact rifle. I can see how a suppressor would be a great addition, but with tax stamp, probably cost more then the rifle.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It removed a great deal of the "felt" recoil and seemed to reduce muzzle climb/jump.

Edit: It is a little long though.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 01-14-17 at 11:12.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It removed a great deal of the "felt" recoil and seemed to reduce muzzle climb/jump.

Edit: It is a little long though.
    Sorta defeats some of the reasons one gets such a compact rifle. I can see the benefits though.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Sorta defeats some of the reasons one gets such a compact rifle. I can see the benefits though.
    We are only talking 3/8 to 1/2" longer than stock flash hider.

Did you get the 16" or 18" barrel?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    We are only talking 3/8 to 1/2" longer than stock flash hider.

Did you get the 16" or 18" barrel?
    16" I want to add as little uneaded length as possible but 3/8 to 1/2" would be a non issue.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Finally got the scout rifle and Leupold 1.5-4 28mm scout scope. I want to put in the forward position. I see the rings supplied with the rifle are only for more traditional position. Leupold QRW low rings or Warne Scope Mounts Quick Detach Rings GTG?
    A lot of scout owners over at scoutrifle.org seems to like the Leupold qrw rings. I am blanking on them exact model, but some have expressed admiration for some weaver rings, I believe one of the reasons is it mounts the scope just a little lower.

if you are unsure...the leupolds are a safe starting place.

The scout scope you have may not allow your to mount it forward of the receiver given at max power the eye relief is 6inch. Because you are using a box magazine fed rifle, that the scope may hang a bit back over the magazine is not an issue unless you really want to be able to load rounds one at a time.

A forward mounted scope is NOT a requirement in order to say you have a scout. a conventionally mounted scope is "legal" and doesn't "de scout" the rifle.

While I would encourage you to give the forward mounted scope a really good try, if it doesn't "do it" for you, don't sweat it. As much as I like it, I am probably going to have to give it up due to my eyes. if the scope had a focus option I could keep it. I will probably go with a fixed 4 power (leupold's fixed 4x has a focus option) or some 1-4 scope, and it will have to most likely be mounted conventionally.

I see it now comes with one metal mag, where it used to come with one metal and one polymer mag I recall.

What 10rnd mags are GTG? Magpul AICS .308 mags?
    I have just started playing with Magpul AICS 308 mags. But not on my scout...not compatible with my rifle. I am using them on a R700. I have the 5 rounders. Due to weather I haven't had a chance to try them on the range, but they seem well built and for curiosity I did load some rounds in it and then just cycled some rounds. went really smooth.

Given that the magpuls are very reasonably priced, buy one and give them a try would be my thought. For rifle balance when shooting in field positions, give 5 rounds a try and compare. I personally don't plan on using 10 rounders with my scout or my R700, but that is just me.

Rec me a sling?
    I second the earlier suggestion to use andy's leather. https://www.andysleather.com/

The original suggested sling was the CW sling. it was basically a loop between the front swivel and one about mid way down the stock. Then the Ching sling was invented and that became the recommended sling. There isn't really a "official sling" for scouts. But to get the most out of your rifle, you should choose a shooting sling vs a carry sling.

I like the Ching sling and would recommend starting with it. Andy makes the CW, Ching, and the Rhodesian. I am going to try out the Rhodesian on my non scout rifles, but even if I end up liking it I probably won't use it on my scout rifle.

I assume a good break would reduce the stout, but nut punishing, recoil of this compact rifle. I can see how a suppressor would be a great addition, but with tax stamp, probably cost more then the rifle.
    don't take this the wrong way....but properly mounting and holding the rifle will go a long way to "taming" the felt recoil. I shoot the steyr and it's about a half a pound lighter without sling and scope. as I have learned to shoot it, the recoil has become less and less an issue. But the first few times I shot it oh man did it hurt. But now it is very comfortable and I hardly notice the recoil. And I know it's not an issue of just getting desensitized because if I make a mistake mounting and holding the rifle....OUCH.

I think you are going to enjoy your rifle. The more I learn to shoot and use mine...I am finding I am judging my other bolt actions by it more and more... too heavy, too long, poor stock etc, etc.
    Last edited by 1859sharps; 01-22-17 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A forward mounted scope is NOT a requirement in order to say you have a scout. a conventionally mounted scope is "legal" and doesn't "de scout" the rifle.

While I would encourage you to give the forward mounted scope a really good try, if it doesn't "do it" for you, don't sweat it. As much as I like it, I am probably going to have to give it up due to my eyes. if the scope had a focus option I could keep it. I will probably go with a fixed 4 power (leupold's fixed 4x has a focus option) or some 1-4 scope, and it will have to most likely be mounted conventionally.
    It's good to see that some people get this. In many Scout rifle circles using a conventional scope brings a host of negative comments. Things like: it wasn't designed for that, Col. Cooper said, blah, blah, blah... While I have the utmost respect for the Colonel and his rifle design, as you say a Scout scope is not required. My Steyr Scout wears a 3-9X Leupold Patrol in QD mounts. It's the perfect scope for the use of my Steyr as a general purpose rifle.

Honestly, I feel the same about the Ching sling. I use a Magpul adjustable sling and it works the same and goes around my arm just as well.

Thankfully, my rifle has a threaded barrel. The Steyr factory adapter and ASR Flash Hider have added a little length and weight but not enough to negatively effect the rifle.

SamM
    Last edited by SamM; 01-23-17 at 22:43.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1859sharps View Post
    A lot of scout owners over at scoutrifle.org seems to like the Leupold qrw rings. I am blanking on them exact model, but some have expressed admiration for some weaver rings, I believe one of the reasons is it mounts the scope just a little lower.

if you are unsure...the leupolds are a safe starting place.
    That's what I did, thanx.

The scout scope you have may not allow your to mount it forward of the receiver given at max power the eye relief is 6inch. Because you are using a box magazine fed rifle, that the scope may hang a bit back over the magazine is not an issue unless you really want to be able to load rounds one at a time.

So far, I note the forward mounted position allows for a faster two eyes open quick site picture on dry firing. However, I have not had legit range time with it. I can see the target clearly and what's around me better, but those are initial experience minus legit testing of one position vs the other. I'd assume the position of the scope also relates to the intended use of the rifle and the pros/cons there of both locations.

I have just started playing with Magpul AICS 308 mags. But not on my scout...not compatible with my rifle. I am using them on a R700. I have the 5 rounders. Due to weather I haven't had a chance to try them on the range, but they seem well built and for curiosity I did load some rounds in it and then just cycled some rounds. went really smooth.

Given that the magpuls are very reasonably priced, buy one and give them a try would be my thought. For rifle balance when shooting in field positions, give 5 rounds a try and compare. I personally don't plan on using 10 rounders with my scout or my R700, but that is just me.
    Got a 3 pack of 10rnders, so far so good. They seem to cycle ammo fine and no hang ups, but limited rnd count so far. Online experiences with those mags and that rifle also seem G2G.

I second the earlier suggestion to use andy's leather. https://www.andysleather.com/

The original suggested sling was the CW sling. it was basically a loop between the front swivel and one about mid way down the stock. Then the Ching sling was invented and that became the recommended sling. There isn't really a "official sling" for scouts. But to get the most out of your rifle, you should choose a shooting sling vs a carry sling.

I like the Ching sling and would recommend starting with it. Andy makes the CW, Ching, and the Rhodesian. I am going to try out the Rhodesian on my non scout rifles, but even if I end up liking it I probably won't use it on my scout rifle.
    On the list of things to order

don't take this the wrong way....but properly mounting and holding the rifle will go a long way to "taming" the felt recoil. I shoot the steyr and it's about a half a pound lighter without sling and scope. as I have learned to shoot it, the recoil has become less and less an issue. But the first few times I shot it oh man did it hurt. But now it is very comfortable and I hardly notice the recoil. And I know it's not an issue of just getting desensitized because if I make a mistake mounting and holding the rifle....OUCH.

I think you are going to enjoy your rifle. The more I learn to shoot and use mine...I am finding I am judging my other bolt actions by it more and more... too heavy, too long, poor stock etc, etc.
    So far, I shot it from a bench to zero to 100 yards, and a few standing. I tend to hold the rifle similar to an AR, somewhat squared off and forward, rifle tucked in tight. Recoil is manageable, but I don't see putting say a few hundred rnds through it in a day. Do you modify your stance with these scout rifles compared to say an AR?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post

It's good to see that some people get this. In many Scout rifle circles using a conventional scope brings a host of negative comments. Things like: it wasn't designed for that, Col. Cooper said, blah, blah, blah... While I have the utmost respect for the Colonel and his rifle design, as you say a Scout scope is not required. My Steyr Scout wears a 3-9X Leupold Patrol in QD mounts. It's the perfect scope for the use of my Steyr as a general purpose rifle.

Honestly, I feel the same about the Ching sling. I use a Magpul adjustable sling and it works the same and goes around my arm just as well.

Thankfully, my rifle has a threaded barrel. The Steyr factory adapter and ASR Flash Hider have added a little length and weight but not enough to negatively effect the rifle.

SamM
    I have never actually read what the late Col. had to say on the scope placement of his concept. Was he specific about that and did he give his reasoning as to the position being superior?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast