Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody using the Wilson flat wire recoil spring?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Anybody using the Wilson flat wire recoil spring?

Like the title says. I'm looking to replace the recoil (and firing pin) spring in my Colt Rail Gun. I was going to simply order the 16 or 18 pound ISMI spring (I'm not sure yet what weight I should get) when I came across the Wilson flat wire spring. Does anyone here have experience with them in the 1911? I know Glock recoil springs are flat wire and they seem to last forever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've used a few in full size .45acp 1911s. I saw no difference in function, etc. I believe they are assessed to have an extended life. The basic Wolff / ISMIs are good to go as inexpensive as they are.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have one in my 1911, with GI style guide rod...been good thru 1000ish rounds
    The WC part requires a new guide rod in addition to the spring account the diameter is different than a standard spring

NC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My new Sig 1911 came with a flat wire recoil spring.

Glock 19 Gen 5
    Colt Combat Commander

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I put one on for a few hundred rounds and removed it. I felt it recoiled more and had a snappier action, rather than the soft push and glide it had with the stock spring. Ken Hackathorn said the same thing in a youtube video, so it has to be true.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I put one on for a few hundred rounds and removed it.
    I felt it recoiled more and had a snappier action, rather than the soft push and glide it had with the stock spring.
    Ken Hackathorn said the same thing in a youtube video, so it has to be true.
    Is this based on design, or spring weight?

Was the flat wire spring the same weight as the standard spring? IE: 18 # vs 18 # ?

I'm guessing the weight was different. Not a Pro here, just common sense.
    Glock 19 Gen 5
    Colt Combat Commander

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a 17# in one gov size pistol, can't really tell much difference. I tried one to see if it would in fact last longer. I do run a flat bottom fps and 23# mainspring. Don't know if they are worth the extra $$. YMMV

Feedback Score
    In '86 I bought a stainless steel Gov't model. First thing I did was replace the stock recoil spring with one of the flat wire springs. I don't know how many rounds have gone through that pistol since then. Have to be in the 20 someodd thousand range. Between that 22# spring and the polished ramp, that gun ate everything I put in the magazine semi wad cutters to empty shell cases, it fed everything.

Still does.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I use one in my Colt Rail Gun along with the shok buff.

Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I put one on for a few hundred rounds and removed it. I felt it recoiled more and had a snappier action, rather than the soft push and glide it had with the stock spring. Ken Hackathorn said the same thing in a youtube video, so it has to be true.
    Can you find the video? I thought he said the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    I have one in my 1911, with GI style guide rod...been good thru 1000ish rounds
    The WC part requires a new guide rod in addition to the spring account the diameter is different than a standard spring

NC
    The Wilson spring comes with their guide rod, I presume because the inside diameter of the flat wire spring is smaller. It should work with the standard GI plug though.

So my understanding is longer spring life, no other difference given identical springs weights. I don't shoot .45 ACP often enough because of the cost of ammo so the spring life isn't a big deal.

So my next question is, what spring weight are you guys using in 5-inch 1911s using standard 230-grain factory ammo? It's all I use. I know 16 pounds is original spec but I see 18.5 is popular too, for more reliable feeding when dirty and that appeals to me because I don't clean my guns very often (I am of the belief that over-cleaning is more harmful than helpful). Not trying to open a can of worms here.
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 01-13-17 at 13:48.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast