Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety detent hole too shallow

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Safety detent hole too shallow

The safety detent hole is too shallow on one my lowers. What i did was grind the lip off a detent. Does the lip do anything expect keep the detent from falling through with the safety removed?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Who is the manufacturer?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Who is the manufacturer?
    Aero but it is a blem lower

Feedback Score
    So you ground the detent instead of snipping the spring? Not that you should have to do either.
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkeg View Post
    So you ground the detent instead of snipping the spring? Not that you should have to do either.
    How would making the spring shorter raise the detent higher inside of the lower. The OP's problem (if I am reading correctly) is that the hole was not countersunk deep enough from the bottom side and the detent is not protruding into the selector lever notches to engage. Removing the edge from the detent allows it to pass by the countersunk area and engage the notches.
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcard600 View Post
    How would making the spring shorter raise the detent higher inside of the lower. The OP's problem (if I am reading correctly) is that the hole was not countersunk deep enough from the bottom side and the detent is not protruding into the selector lever notches to engage. Removing the edge from the detent allows it to pass by the countersunk area and engage the notches.
    ^This^

OP; does the detent engage the selector properly? Did you function check the FCG?
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Or, take a 5/32 drill in a pin vise and make the counterbore the correct depth.

BTW:

Left: countersink, Right: counterbore

Feedback Score
    This is correct. I stepped away from the computer, and when I returned I was thinking take-down detent. Oops.
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If the detent holes are shallow, they will allow the user to over rotate the selector more easily. If your receiver has the selector stops at 3 and 9 o'clock, you would still be able to rotate the selector past 90 degree (FIRE) onto AUTO / BURST position.

Any selector can be over rotated given enough force, but one with shallow detent holes will do so easily. It's an inexpensive part, don't mess with it and just replace the selector.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    If the detent holes are shallow, they will allow the user to over rotate the selector more easily. If your receiver has the selector stops at 3 and 9 o'clock, you would still be able to rotate the selector past 90 degree (FIRE) onto AUTO / BURST position.

Any selector can be over rotated given enough force, but one with shallow detent holes will do so easily. It's an inexpensive part, don't mess with it and just replace the selector.
    The counterbore on the lower is too shallow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast