Thread: Question on recoil operated shotguns...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question on recoil operated shotguns...

A long time ago some Benelli M1 shotguns were made into ultra short SBS's called a Hammer.

My friend likes the concept and he'd like to know...

Are there other shotguns besides the M1 that are semi auto, recoil operated (NOT gas), can load a ghost round on the carrier, and do not REQUIRE a front end barrel support to hold the barrel into the receiver. Allow me to clarify on the last part. The Beretta 1201FP is much more affordable than a Benelli but its front barrel support is what attaches and retains the barrel to the weapon so it wouldn't work.

Thanks.

TED

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 1201FP is basically a Beretta branded M1 with a different barrel, mag tube, and stock. They can be ghost loaded.

If you can find a 1201FP cheap enough you could change out the barrel and mag tube to M1 or M2.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    A long time ago some Benelli M1 shotguns were made into ultra short SBS's called a Hammer.

My friend likes the concept and he'd like to know...

Are there other shotguns besides the M1 that are semi auto, recoil operated (NOT gas), can load a ghost round on the carrier, and do not REQUIRE a front end barrel support to hold the barrel into the receiver. Allow me to clarify on the last part. The Beretta 1201FP is much more affordable than a Benelli but its front barrel support is what attaches and retains the barrel to the weapon so it wouldn't work.

Thanks.

TED
    I don't now of ant semi-auto shotgun of conventional configuration - that do not REQUIRE a front end barrel support to hold the barrel into the receiver including the M1's.

In terms of in expensive and ghost-loading the Stoeger 3000 probably would be the closest to fitting your needs.

The Hammers were Benelli's that were cut down to right off the end cap, probably about a 10 inch barrel, still retained the barrel locator ring in the standard location, used a standard field magazine end cap and either a field spring or cut down extended spring.

Anyway you look at it you are going to have to SBS the receiver. Unless you are just going for the look, M2 entries are available - 1200-1300 (they have 14" barrels). You'd probably have at least a grand tied up in modifying the Stoeger and getting the stock you want to replicate the 'Hammer.'

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I talk about the barrel mounting via support at the front, I guess what I really mean is the barrel screwing into the mag tube like a mossberg 500 or the Beretta 1200 series. That is what I do not want.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    When I talk about the barrel mounting via support at the front, I guess what I really mean is the barrel screwing into the mag tube like a mossberg 500 or the Beretta 1200 series. That is what I do not want.
    Got you. Still, the Stoegers are pretty popular and offer good bang for the buck.