Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loose barrel extension

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    I'd use a reaction rod for install or removal of a muzzle device...Unless it had any kind of thread locker on it or felt too tight. And I would not use a breaker bar with the reaction rod. If it felt too tight, clamping the barrel is the only way I would use. Ned's barrel block looks great. I made my own crappier improvised version out of wood, but it requires lots more exposed barrel to grab vs Ned's design.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    I have a crappier version for use in my vise as well, which worked after the problem was realized, but I know it was my failure to pay attention that caused the issue, at least in part.

With that said, the hammerhead is only about 6" long, and not really comfortable on the hands for tightening/loosening the muzzle device, which is where the breaker initially came in, not simply due to "massive torx, full steam ahead!"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    What causes the extension to come unscrewed in this situation? Leverage? Please don't interpret this as argumentative, I'm curious.
    No worries.
    The extension will come loose if the rotational torque applied (counter clockwise) to the barrel (or muzzle device) is greater than the torque it takes to unscrew the extension. The reaction rod holds the extension.
    Muzzle devices should only be torqued to 20-30 lb/ft of torque. Barrel extensions are well over 100. Therefore a properly installed barrel extension should easily be able to withstand a muzzle device swap. However, threadlockers on the muzzle threads increase the amount of torque. And there are lots of reports which suggest that some substandard barrel makers install the extension first, then melonite second. This seems to cause the barrel extension to be easily unscrewed.
    I think the OP found all three of these factors coming to play (reaction rod, threadlockers, substandard melonite barrel). It's a trio.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
    I have a crappier version for use in my vise as well, which worked after the problem was realized, but I know it was my failure to pay attention that caused the issue, at least in part.

With that said, the hammerhead is only about 6" long, and not really comfortable on the hands for tightening/loosening the muzzle device, which is where the breaker initially came in, not simply due to "massive torx, full steam ahead!"
    I'm betting that the meloniting method used by your barrel mfg made the extension come undone far more easily than it is supposed to. Your picture shows proof that it was melonite after assembly. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but that can cause the extension to come unscrewed much more easily.

Feedback Score
    I had some thing happen on one of same barrels B Friday special.. It was a WTF moment for me. I was changing barrel standard nut to free floating barrel nut the same way with reaction rod. I reset barrel extension and barrel nut, (I expect the upper receiver will be scrap now) if I go to replace the barrel. The one I had it happen to was fresh out of box, as it came 12.5 300B.O. barrel, gas block, gas tube, AAC suppressor mount. I had installed on new upper. I doubt it was torqued anywhere near 100 ft. Lbs. With that I agree with P2000 on the meloniting. End result I been shooting with it for over a year now but only a few 1000 rnds. No further problem.
    Last edited by blade_68; 01-15-17 at 21:42.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I can almost guarantee it's the barrel and melonite. I use the Reaction Rod almost everyday for everything and that has not happened yet.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I know the reaction rod is a good tool used by many, but I don't want to apply any torque to the barrel extension when replacing a muzzle device. If I am ham fisted, which is quite common for me, I may screw something up.

Ned's barrel wrench looks like a nice tool to add to the collection, but I normally use a barrel vise I bought from Brownells. I have to remove the handguards to use the Brownells vise.

I have another vise I made up out of materials laying around the garage, which does not require removing the handguards. It's used mostly for AR muzzle devices and replacing M1 Carbine barrels. It clamps tight enough to hold a M1 Garand barrel while removing the receiver.
    Last edited by T2C; 01-16-17 at 02:32.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I know the reaction rod is a good tool used by many, but I don't want to apply any torque to the barrel extension when replacing a muzzle device. If I am ham fisted, which is quite common for me, I may screw something up.

Ned's barrel wrench looks like a nice tool to add to the collection, but I normally use a barrel vise I bought from Brownells. I have to remove the handguards to use the Brownells vise.

I have another vise I made up out of materials laying around the garage, which does not require removing the handguards. It's used mostly for AR muzzle devices and replacing M1 Carbine barrels. It clamps tight enough to hold a M1 Garand barrel while removing the receiver.
    I've made similar. 2 pieces of 2x4 bored out, put in some rubber and clamp the barrel. Works well for muzzle devices in a pinch and keeps pressure of everything.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    sent an email to see what they say on the barrel, but I am starting to look for new barrels.

I will buy a barrel clamp of some kind, and was planning on it for working on bolt guns, but I do want to mention that one of the reasons for the reaction rod in this case was also to avoid removing the rail - this is a 10.5" 300blk with a 10" rail, so this all started as just a pop off the FH, reinstall the new one, and go to the next upper... now I know better/to pay closer attention.

Now I have to decide if this is going to continue to be a range toy, or if I want to spend a bit more $$ and set it up for an HD role.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Why not re torque the extension. It will probably line up. I've read others have done this and it lines up fine. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    They probably torqued it to 150 inch lbs.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast