Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for a diet plan.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    This may be really boring and totally unsexy, but I'm all about balance. Some semblance of a balanced diet with regard to macros (until the need arises that we adjust one higher than others). And balanced workout program that includes most kinds of lifting and most types of cardio (for general health...sports specific training is a different thing entirely).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I'm looking for a diet plan.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Yes, one form of exercise to be successful with losing and keeping off weight/fat; but not the only one.

Just as there a billion "diets" out there, there are a billion exercise plans with which one can be very successful; and in many you do not set foot in a gym.
    I agree it's not the only way, but I feel that for most people, like 99%, a well balanced strength and conditioning program is tantamount to long term health.

Crossfit, in its original form was on to something. Unfortunately, as it's become main stream, watered down and plagued by a slew of shitty affiliates, I can't in good conscious blindly recommend Crossfit. There are still some excellent gyms out there, however, I think you will eventually see them rebrand to more traditional strength and conditioning type gyms in the coming years. Crossfit has run its course and gone full retard, but what it originally brought to the table is something people with half a brain can capitalize on.

If you can find a true strength and conditioning gym in your area, I would highly recommend seeking them out. Strength and conditioning (basically old school Crossfit) with good coaching produced the most well balanced, healthy athletes in the world.

ETA: I'm a firm believer that while there are other ways to lose weight such as cardio, slashing caloric intake etc; a well programmed strength program is tantamount to long term health. Everything is strength based. Lifting weights makes you stronger, healthier and harder to kill.

All of the people I know of ( and I know several) that are 50+ and kicking it hard all have one major thing in common amongst others... they've lifted weights their whole life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 02-09-17 at 11:12.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I had given up grain some time ago. I know grain is more than just bread, but as an example except for a very, very few low carb tortilla's I can't think of any grain I eat. All grains have been removed or replaced for the most part with quinoa.
    I've quit measuring progress with the scale for the most part, I now measure my waist to check progress. The scale is being used now as a measurement/rule of thumb for tweaking my diet rather than my progress.
    My caloric output at work isn't very intense. For the most part, I'm a desk bound SME/Tech for some Equipment. I do sometimes spend the entire day on my feet, but that is very rare. I do a lot of research, teaching and coordination. 90% of my output is at the gym.
    My diet is pretty carefully monitored if anything I've reduced my intake too drastically and have begun to add a lot more water and quality carbohydrates and that has actually prompted a bit of a slight weight loss over the last several weeks. I added many more vegetables and much more water and again the quinoa.
    I've added intensity to my lifting and cardio. few rest breaks between lifts and more of the Hiit as Will described earlier in this thread. I've also taken a "rest day" and have gone from 7 days a week to a strict 5 day a week lifting plan.
    I am 5'10" and have always been rather muscular, at 208 I'm beginning to actually see my six pack come back.
    No particular reason to give up grains. Per usual, choice of grains, balanced nutrition, etc wins the day long term. Hot off the presses:

New study suggests that eating whole grains increases metabolism and calorie loss

A new study suggests that substituting whole grains for refined grains in the diet increases calorie loss by reducing calories retained during digestion and speeding up metabolism. This research is published in tandem with a study on the effect of whole grains on gut microbiota. Both studies are published today in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Epidemiology studies have suggested health benefits of whole grains and high dietary fiber intake, including for glycemic control and insulin sensitivity. There has been controversy, however, about whether whole grains and fiber are beneficial for weight regulation, partially because there hasn’t been data from controlled metabolic studies. This new study provided food to participants for eight weeks and may help explain how whole grain consumption is beneficial for weight management.

Cont:

http://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/n...d-calorie-loss
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    202 and rolling along.
    A few setbacks, stomach virus and dental surgery.

Feedback Score
    Bro, you are gonna different info and what and how to do but i tell you from a real life experience there's nothing like eating right (laying off the bacon and fatty food). eat veggies a lot, drink a lot of water and if the temperature is right (prolly at noon) do some jugging. you will never loose weight if you are not patient and persistent so keep keeping on.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've refined my diet a bit at a time as I have learned more.
    Quinoa, brown rice and occasionally oatmeal have been added.
    Most of all of my proteins are from Turkey, Chicken breast, Salmon and Tuna.
    Fresh vegetables are about fifty percent of my intake.
    Fats are coming from Greek Yogurt, Avacados, nuts and seeds.
    Pretty boring, but occasionally I allow myself a treat.
    I would imagine I'm taking in 2200 to 2500 calories a day.
    My weight loss has been steady. I'm at 180 as of today.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Lean red meat a few times a week is a plus, and the one diet "style" that continues to mount for the data for health/longevity is Mediterranean-style, and red meat added to that, win win. Non processed red meat as part of an intelligent nutrition approach, is not unhealthy. Red meat also contains a variety of nutrients not found, or found in minimal concentrations, in other foods. The money shot:

A Mediterranean-style eating pattern with lean, unprocessed red meat has cardiometabolic benefits for adults who are overweight or obese in a randomized, crossover, controlled feeding trial
    The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, June 2018

"Adults who are overweight or moderately obese may improve multiple cardiometabolic disease risk factors by adopting a Mediterranean-style eating pattern with or without reductions in red meat intake when red meats are lean and unprocessed."

Full study:

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advanc...nqy075/5036105
    Last edited by WillBrink; 06-25-18 at 18:19.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I've lost 60 pounds in the past 18 months by:

Logging every calorie that I put in my pie hole. "LoseIt" is a great app.
    Weighing every single day.
    Healthy diet.
    Low fat. Low sugar. Balanced.
    Healthy eating.
    Best way to shop is to buy most stuff from the "perimeter" of your grocery story.
    All the processed crap is what they make their profit on: the crap that is unhealthy.
    Get your gluttony under control.
    All about personal discipline.

Everything else is a short-term gimmick.

Oh, and one more thing...EXCERCISE. No, you do not have to be a body builder or a marathon runner.
    Work up to daily vigorous walking for 45 minutes each day.
    It works.

Reduce calories you are taking in, increase calories you are burning. You will lose weight.

Sounds easy, right? It's not. It's a total bitch.

But it sure as hell is NOT as complicated as way too many people think it is.

The fad diets are bullshit.
    Last edited by TRSTNG; 06-25-18 at 19:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That sounds like a pretty good diet. Good to hear about your progress.

My diet is about similar to yours. I try to go heavy on proteins (chicken, eggs, fish, etc), then add veggies/fruits/grains. I try to reduce carbs when possible, although I love rice and bread so that can be a challenge sometimes. Replacing it with brown rice and wheat/whole grain breads help a bit.

How tall are you?

I'm about 180lbs and 5'9"; still want to lose about 10lbs although I feel I'm in decent overall shape.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm 5'10 and now exactly 180.
    I'm doing fasted cardio in the morning, sometimes I go straight to the gym afterwards, sometimes, like today, I will lift in the afternoon.
    I am getting pretty lean at this point and really don't want to lose much more weight, but would like to become more lean. That's a balancing thing I'm working on now.
    Now that I can run again, my weight loss seems to be coming a bit faster.
    I'm getting stronger as my lifts are getting progressively heavier, I'm not gaing mass, but I'm certainly more lean.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast