Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for a diet plan.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

This explained a lot to me, I think I've got something I want to try.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Just like in the mil keep it KISS. Do not over complicate. HIIT gym? You don't need any such thing unless you simply want to. HIIT can be done on a stationary bike for example. It's as simple as it gets: All out effort for say 10-30s seconds, a minute rest, repeat, for 5 mins, working your way up to 10 mins max. If you can do more than 10 mins, you aint doing HIIT. Most people who think they are doing HIIT, aint...

A few times per week is OK, but more then that, you'll over train.

Make sure thyroid is correctly managed.
    Well that gassed me pretty quick.
    Sprints on the stationary bike for two minutes, one minute rest X five. That's a lot more intensity.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Well that gassed me pretty quick.
    Sprints on the stationary bike for two minutes, one minute rest X five. That's a lot more intensity.
    Thanks.
    That's still not true HIIT as no one can do an all out effort for 2 mins. Per above, all out effort for 10-30 seconds, followed by 1-2 mins rest for 5 mins to start., is true HIIT. What you're doing is interval training. HIIT is a form of interval training but not all interval training is HIIT. Many mistake one for the other.

The most trained people can only give a max effort for 10 -20 seconds. Look up Tabata protocol which was alternating between 20 second bursts of maximum effort work and 10 second rest phases for a total of four minutes or eight rounds four times per week plus one 30 minute moderate intensity cycling session once a week.

And that was with highly trained Olympic level speed skaters.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 01-19-17 at 10:02.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I actually noticed that on the bike. I will read up on it some more.
    Thank You.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I actually noticed that on the bike. I will read up on it some more.
    Thank You.
    It's as simple as I wrote it: all out effort for 10-30 seconds, followed by 1-2 mins rest for 5 mins to start.

That's it bro.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    It's as simple as I wrote it: all out effort for 10-30 seconds, followed by 1-2 mins rest for 5 mins to start.

That's it bro.
    Love the practical simplicity!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Baldgui View Post
    Love the practical simplicity!
    For more thoughts on such things, see Brink’s KISS System for success
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Four Miles a day on weekdays at a 4.5 MPH pace, 6 miles a day on the weekends. Daily moderate weights in a rotating, legs, chest, arms shoulders/back thing they have on the B Board at the gym I go to.
    I eat pretty clean most of the time. No Fast Food, lots of eggs, grilled beef, baked chicken and occasionally baked fish. No pasta, white potatoes or rice. So it's clean, I just eat enormous portions when I do eat. Usually I'm getting in about one and a half meals a day.
    I have an extremely slow metabolism and have Hashimoto's so my thyroid is shot and it is kind of fighting me all the way.
    I will check out what you guys have suggested, thanks.
    Seems like a pretty good regimen already.

Not sure how old you are now but age and metabolism does affect it big time. This is also my issue.
    I used to be a lean 170lbs in my 20's and could run a mile in under 7mins, but not anymore (190lbs now). Getting old sucks; I'd like to be 175 ideally but my diet is not consistent. I still hit the weights at the gym everyday and do cardio, but not as intense as I used to. I used to play basketball in college but my ankles have gotten worse with age.

You can just streamline your diet a bit, do portion control, and count calories if you can. Track your macro's and eat smaller portions during the day. What's your height, weight, and body fat %?

Hiit training is great, although I've never liked it personally. I played sports which kept me in shape when I was younger. Outdoor sports is great for weight loss and maintenance if you can handle it. Sports are fun, more social, and definitely a good workout vs solo exercises at the gym or at home. If I didn't injure my ankles I'd still be playing basketball.
    Last edited by JusticeM4; 01-21-17 at 07:25.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)

That's it bro.
    Active rest or no?

That's how I've always done it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    That's still not true HIIT as no one can do an all out effort for 2 mins. Per above, all out effort for 10-30 seconds, followed by 1-2 mins rest for 5 mins to start., is true HIIT. What you're doing is interval training. HIIT is a form of interval training but not all interval training is HIIT. Many mistake one for the other.

The most trained people can only give a max effort for 10 -20 seconds. Look up Tabata protocol which was alternating between 20 second bursts of maximum effort work and 10 second rest phases for a total of four minutes or eight rounds four times per week plus one 30 minute moderate intensity cycling session once a week.

And that was with highly trained Olympic level speed skaters.
    In more running terms the very short very intense intervals are typically called repeats. Such a workout would look like 200m at max effort followed by a much longer jog/walk recovery. The idea being to be more recovered than with aerobic intervals, but the work is at a greater effort. Typically intervals are equal in time but not necessarily in distance.

On rest...active rest is always better to clear the lactic acid (the burning) which builds in your muscles during those work bursts.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast