Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for a diet plan.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm looking for a diet plan.

I've been getting back in to shape since early fall. I've dropped 25 pounds and I would like to knock another 25 off and get to about 185. I haven't been that light since I was a young E-5.
    I've had a set back or two, but now I'm in a place where I can make some real progress, but that next 25 is a sticking point.
    The thing is I dont really have a "plan" other than skip processed food and eat clean, so far this has been working. I've been adjusting and tweaking stuff, but I need to get a bit more serious.
    So who has a good diet plan?

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    High protein, low to moderate carbs, and get plenty of good fats. Always a good place to start.

Eat plenty of veggies.

What is your training like? What are you eating now?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A lot of people will push paleo and ketogenic. Both work great, however adherence is hard, especially if you eat out a fair amount.

https://medium.com/@hellokip/everyth...d92#.4pf54e6yd
    http://fourhourworkweek.com/2012/07/...se-100-pounds/

Slow carb has a very high adherence rate, and works if you're not sensitive to beans/lentils etc.

Allen

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double3 View Post
    High protein, low to moderate carbs, and get plenty of good fats. Always a good place to start.

Eat plenty of veggies.

What is your training like? What are you eating now?
    Four Miles a day on weekdays at a 4.5 MPH pace, 6 miles a day on the weekends. Daily moderate weights in a rotating, legs, chest, arms shoulders/back thing they have on the B Board at the gym I go to.
    I eat pretty clean most of the time. No Fast Food, lots of eggs, grilled beef, baked chicken and occasionally baked fish. No pasta, white potatoes or rice. So it's clean, I just eat enormous portions when I do eat. Usually I'm getting in about one and a half meals a day.
    I have an extremely slow metabolism and have Hashimoto's so my thyroid is shot and it is kind of fighting me all the way.
    I will check out what you guys have suggested, thanks.
    Last edited by Averageman; 01-15-17 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The question is what is the purpose of a "diet" ... to get in shape, or to lose weight?

To lose weight the secret is to eat less than you burn. The best way to get through the weight loss phase is to get rid of the weight, ASAP. One you hit your weight goal, you can resume a more "normal" diet carefully monitoring your intake and what, for you, results in weight gain. You can get the excercise going at this point and work on building up muscle, if you desire, or cardio (which is better for weight maintenance) or best yet, a combination of both.

But you have to dump the weight first.

My opinion, FWIW.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin1776 View Post
    The question is what is the purpose of a "diet" ... to get in shape, or to lose weight?

To lose weight the secret is to eat less than you burn. The best way to get through the weight loss phase is to get rid of the weight, ASAP. One you hit your weight goal, you can resume a more "normal" diet carefully monitoring your intake and what, for you, results in weight gain. You can get the excercise going at this point and work on building up muscle, if you desire, or cardio (which is better for weight maintenance) or best yet, a combination of both.

But you have to dump the weight first.

My opinion, FWIW.
    Why on earth would you have to dump weight first (ie, starve yourself...according to your first post) in order to partake in a "normal" diet? Please help this make sense to me...

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Four Miles a day on weekdays at a 4.5 MPH pace, 6 miles a day on the weekends. Daily moderate weights in a rotating, legs, chest, arms shoulders/back thing they have on the B Board at the gym I go to.
    I eat pretty clean most of the time. No Fast Food, lots of eggs, grilled beef, baked chicken and occasionally baked fish. No pasta, white potatoes or rice. So it's clean, I just eat enormous portions when I do eat. Usually I'm getting in about one and a half meals a day.
    I have an extremely slow metabolism and have Hashimoto's so my thyroid is shot and it is kind of fighting me all the way.
    Large meals are horrible for your metabolism. Cram a bunch of food in your stomach and your digestion grids to a halt. I'd suggest much smaller meals and more of them.

Is 4.5mph a walking pace or a jog for you? Don't be one of those people holding on the treadmill the whole time. If you can't keep whatever speed with your arms swinging naturally at your side, then lower the speed/incline until you can. Its a cheat that really limits people's progress by robbing them of doing actual work. You can see the effect of this on a heartrate monitor.

I'd loose those long activities first off and go to intervals. If you can't run due to a physical problem, you can always do intervals on the bike. Start easy with something like 2:00 easy then 1:00 hard. A lot of treadmills and bikes have interval programs.

I highly doubt you're in a range heartrate wise where you're going to be getting any real benefit to long steady state workouts. The fat burning zone thing is probably one of the most misleading things going. Your body has probably become very well acclimated to those long activities. Intervals are a outstanding way of breaking through barriers.

Also don't think interval workouts have to be limited to cardio equipment. There are tons of HIIT / interval workouts out there, Google will get you tons of info.

Feedback Score
    Bro, you are gonna different info and what and how to do but i tell you from a real life experience there's nothing like eating right (laying off the bacon and fatty food). eat veggies a lot, drink a lot of water and if the temperature is right (prolly at noon) do some jugging. you will never loose weight if you are not patient and persistent so keep keeping on.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    So are you stuck right now or still losing weight? If it aint broke don't fix it.

I'd look at adding in some HIIT and stick with compound movements on lifting days(squats, deads, pullups, bench...... The more muscle you have the more calories you are going to burn.

There are lots of ways to do it but you need to find what works best for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Double3 View Post
    So are you stuck right now or still losing weight? If it aint broke don't fix it.

I'd look at adding in some HIIT and stick with compound movements on lifting days(squats, deads, pullups, bench...... The more muscle you have the more calories you are going to burn.

There are lots of ways to do it but you need to find what works best for you.
    THIS.

You said your current diet is working. Don't jack with it. Sure, you can add or subtract certain foods but don't mess with the overall nutrient breakdown too much.

You said moderate weight. Experiment changing this to heavy weight.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast