Thread: Appendix Training Q's

Feedback Score

Appendix Training Q's

Hey guys,

When training with an appendix carry holster, what sort of extra safety precautions do you take?

I assume that you can't shoot every drill to empty, because the gun still has to be re-holstered hot.

Do you move in the same way as strong side holster work OR anything different?

Feedback Score
    I use a vanguard2 and 3 and remove the gun to reholster each time, as I normally would.

When I had a ctac, I had a safety on the gun and used it as I normally would.

If I was using a non-safey gun in a normal Aiwb holster, I'd point away from my body whilst reholstering.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When training with a AIWB holster, I teach a right handed student to move the right foot back before holstering. I also teach them to place the left thumb inside the pants near the fly and push the pants away from them when holstering.

Move your right foot back, push your pants away from you with the left thumb and observe how much of the body moves out of the way before holstering.

I would appreciate feedback. Please try it and critique the technique.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A benefit of either the gadget on a glock, or an hammer-fired gun is the ability to place the strong side thumb on the back of the hammer/gadget to prevent NDs. I do as already recommended, strong side foot to the rear, you can also lean back slightly, and reholster feeling for any signs of resistance that could indicate something in the way.

Feedback Score
    Strongly recommend visualizing before you begin reholstering and then watch as you insert striker fired guns. I also move my strong side foot back and grasp the belt with an outward tilt, if two hands are available.

Be careful, proper practice will increase your confidence, but do not get complacent. When in doubt, remove the entire holster and then reholster.

Feedback Score
    Absolutely watch the gun back to the holster, I think that is one of the benefits of carrying appendix. You can actually watch the gun into the holster where with other methods it becomes a bit more difficult. Also make sure you don't have lose pieces of garments that can get into the trigger guard, such as shirt tails or strings from hoodies. When you say reholstering hot, are you concerned with burning yourself? I guess it depends on the holster you are using, I use a g code incog and have never burnt myself. I recently ran it in a Costa pistol class and it was definitely ran hot.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. That all makes sense. Essentialy, keep the gun pointed away from your body and just be careful (as always).

Feedback Score
    I don't carry AIWB, but was always taught to "reluctantly re-holster" anyway. No need to be in a hurry to put the gun away. Doesn't mean I'm a slow poke on the line either (far from it), I just do it deliberately and mindfully vs. by rote. Same approach as I have to clearing.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member