Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSA-E not resetting with suppressor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

SSA-E not resetting with suppressor

As of recently, the SSA-E that I've had installed in my SBR since it was first assembled two years go has recently developed an issue. I'm noticing that the trigger is not resetting after firing with the AAC M4-2000 suppressor mounted. The rifle has just recently received a Sionics RGP 11.5" barrel, but the problem was started with the BCM BFH 11.5" that was on the rifle since it was originally assembled. The problem is rather interesting, as the rifle functions fine unsuppressed, but when the can is mounted it occasionally does not reset the trigger despite the fact it picks up and fully chambers a new round and locks back suppressed (and unsuppressed) with good ammo.

Rifle specs:
    Rainier receivers
    Geiselle SSA-E trigger
    Sionics 11.5" RGP barrel (<100 rounds)
    LMT E-Carrier w/ BCM bolt
    Vltor A5 w/ Springco green and A2 buffer

The rifle was fully disassembled, cleaned and lubed when the new barrel was installed. The rifle had a relatively low round count prior to the barrel swap, but the disappointing accuracy of the BCM barrel and it's profile lead me to the Sionics. The last 100 rounds fired through the BCM barrel is when this problem developed and I chalked it up to dirt/grit in the trigger so it was disassembled and regressed with the supplied grease from Geissele when I swapped the barrel.

I'm including a slow-mo video of my fiancee firing the rifle in the event it will help troubleshooting. In this particular video the rifle fired on the follow up shot, but the failure to reset problem was persistent on this outing.

https://youtu.be/GMbxVRd6i_Y?t=9s

What is going on here?

[EDIT] Thought I'd should add that the weapon passes a function test [/EDIT]
    Last edited by JustDSM; 02-25-17 at 23:11. Reason: additional info

Feedback Score
    I would call Geissele and ask them. I would first remove the entire trigger assembly and thoroughly clean & degrease everything and then try again. If the problem still persists you may consider swapping out the disconnector spring for a new one. However I wouldn't do anything until you've spoken to Geissele directly and see what they have to say. This is the first issue I've ever heard of with a Geissele trigger (I have several and they've all ran flawlessly), but Geissele has excellent customer service and will help you fix the problem.
    Last edited by Cane55; 02-26-17 at 02:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane55 View Post
    I would call Geissele and ask them. I would first remove the entire trigger assembly and thoroughly clean & degrease everything and then try again. If the problem still persists you may consider swapping out the disconnector spring for a new one. However I wouldn't do anything until you've spoken to Geissele directly and see what they have to say. This is the first issue I've ever heard of with a Geissele trigger (I have several and they've all ran flawlessly), but Geissele has excellent customer service and will help you fix the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDSM View Post
    The rifle was fully disassembled, cleaned and lubed when the new barrel was installed. ... The last 100 rounds fired through the BCM barrel is when this problem developed and I chalked it up to dirt/grit in the trigger so it was disassembled and regressed with the supplied grease from Geissele when I swapped the barrel.

I did attempt to contact Geissele via email, but this was during SHOT, so I didn't expect an immediate response but I've yet to hear from them.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I called Geissele last week and got a person the phone first try on two different days. Transferred me right to a tech and had my questions answered. I would just give them a call. They are typically available.

Have you swapped this trigger into a different lower and replicated the the issue?
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    I called Geissele last week and got a person the phone first try on two different days. Transferred me right to a tech and had my questions answered. I would just give them a call. They are typically available.

Have you swapped this trigger into a different lower and replicated the the issue?
    I'll give them a ring Monday and see what they've got to say. I didn't figure anyone would able to provide technical support would have been around during SHOT so I figured email was more appropriate at that time.

Surprisingly, my SBR is my only AR lower.. HA! How many can say they only AR they own is a SBR?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bill likes to have the guys who work on his triggers take the calls from customers if possible. You will likely talk with one of them and they will let you know what's going on. IMO it would be smart to pull the trigger, disassemble and clean and lube prior to making the call. As you are doing so, look each piece over and check the fit. Also look for anything that could be in there such as a piece of an anvil from a blown primer or other debris. Good luck and please let us know what the final outcome is.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    It wouldn't hurt to try it with all the grease removed to change one of the variables. Like the other guys here have said, Geissele has great customer service and when you call for technical help they actually put you on the phone with guys who are very skilled. They will definitely get you squared away. Please follow up here when you solve the problem as I'm very curious to see what the problem is.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    As others have said, give them a tell on the phone. However, they'll want to have to ship it to them so they can rig it up in a precision jig to check all dimensions and geometries.

A good field test is to, with the trigger installed in the lower, drop the hammer on a empty chamber and then break the upper and lower open at the rear take down pin.

Grab the hammer firmly and see if there is any meaningful wiggle or play to it. Geissele triggers use slightly over sized pins and if you can feel any amount of play, there is likely an issue with your lower pin holes.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    As others have said, give them a tell on the phone. However, they'll want to have to ship it to them so they can rig it up in a precision jig to check all dimensions and geometries.

A good field test is to, with the trigger installed in the lower, drop the hammer on a empty chamber and then break the upper and lower open at the rear take down pin.

Grab the hammer firmly and see if there is any meaningful wiggle or play to it. Geissele triggers use slightly over sized pins and if you can feel any amount of play, there is likely an issue with your lower pin holes.
    While looking the rifle over this afternoon, I did notice that the hammer pin rotates with the hammer when conducting a function test. I assumed this was standard, but after your post, I'm wondering if it is indicative of an issue. I'll check for any slop in the hammer, although I don't suspect there is any, just some rotation in the pin. The anodizing is not worn through or anything of that nature.

[edit]

Just measured the pin and the pin hole for the hammer. The pin measures 0.1550 and the pin hole measures 0.1555.

There is also no play in the hammer that can be discerned without a dial indicator..

[/edit]
    Last edited by JustDSM; 02-26-17 at 15:23.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDSM View Post
    While looking the rifle over this afternoon, I did notice that the hammer pin rotates with the hammer when conducting a function test. I assumed this was standard, but after your post, I'm wondering if it is indicative of an issue. I'll check for any slop in the hammer, although I don't suspect there is any, just some rotation in the pin. The anodizing is not worn through or anything of that nature.

[edit]

Just measured the pin and the pin hole for the hammer. The pin measures 0.1550 and the pin hole measures 0.1555.

There is also no play in the hammer that can be discerned without a dial indicator..

[/edit]
    The hammer pin is not the issue. The J-spring / hook is holding the trigger pin tightly. Like I said before, pull the trigger out and look for a small piece of debris. Clean and lube then test. If it still doesn't work call Giselle in the morning.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast