Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Nosler

Feedback Score

.22 Nosler

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ome-22-nosler/

Interesting, getting more performance out of the .224 bore in an AR magazine well sized cartridge. I wonder if it will be worthwhile?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I am pretty curious what the barrel life on one of those puppies would be.

If I recall correctly, a .22-250 like the article references would erode a throat quite quickly.

Feedback Score
    Yeah barrel life will suffer for sure. Although I have several friends with .22-250's and they're not as bad as you might think.

I'd be interested in a CHF chrome lined barrel just to give the tube a fighting chance.

2950fps with 77gr SMK's sounds delightful though.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yes, I'd be fascinated to see how a 77 grain SMK going that fast would handle some wind.

I'd be in a real contemplative mood about barrel choices. Maybe one of the Noveske double chrome-lined barrels? A BCM BFH with chrome? Or just get every bit of accuracy out of a nice Bartlein or WOA SS barrel?

Feedback Score
    Depends on your specific use I guess, plus how often you're willing to re-barrel.

I don't anticipate using an AR as a true precision rifle, but the improvements to terminal performance and distances past 250 yards are interesting by themselves. So a medium contour CHF chrome lined barrel would be my personal preference for exploring the cartridge. Maybe use that new 9310H alloy and double the thickness on the chrome lining since those barrels can still hold around 1-1.5 MOA which is still respectable. I doubt a light weight barrel would be as suitable a choice due to the increased heat.

Feedback Score
    I saw that earlier, quite interesting. Here's my initial thoughts:

CONS
    1) If you're chambering in something other than .223/5.56 just for hunting, why not chamber in the harder hitting 6.8SPCII or .300BO? (almost not a con though if used in different applications)
    2) Limited barrel life
    3) Limited factory loaded ammo currently
    4) If you reload, you're buying factory new brass from one place and one place only, however if you reload 6.8 you're getting factory new brass too so that's almost moot if we're comparing AR hunting rounds

PROS
    1) Same BCG, therefore, other than the obvious, if you reload you already have shell holders
    2) Extended range and punch on heavier rounds
    3) Seems like a great Varmint round especially at further engagements like coyotes and pigs (pigs have a good sense of smell and they don't question it too often, and coyotes usually won't come in close unless you're baiting, calling, or using decoy dogs)
    4) In relation to #2 the heavier rounds will be a great deer round
    5) Wide variety of .224 diameter rounds available out there for reloading including fantastic hunting rounds
    6) Did I mention it seems like its going to be a fantastic hunting round?
    7) Flatter trajectory for precision shooters

Again this ballistically seems like its going to be a great hunting round and something I'm going to keep an eye on. I think I'm beating a dead horse on the hunting part, but I love hunting with an AR, light, no recoil, higher magazine capacity. In case you can't tell, this peaked my interest when it was sent to me this morning. I still think 6.8 will make a better deer round but this might have a varmint role. This round might actually catch on.
    Last edited by mballz23; 01-17-17 at 02:18.
    Like pictures of guns, dogs, and trucks? Me too. Let's be friends, or not, whatever you want to do. Just an option
    Instagram

Psalm 140:4
    Profile pic by 556 Productions

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is another thread on the .22 Nosler. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...sler-cartridge

It appears to be an interesting cartridge. The 77g load should shoot a bit flatter out to 600 yards than the current .223 cartridges on the market.
    Last edited by T2C; 01-17-17 at 05:54.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What about a nitrided barrel? That should help mitigate throat wear while avoiding the potential loss of accuracy from double chrome lining.

Feedback Score
    True, if you wanted to run a match grade SS barrrel nitride might be a good treatment for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    There is another thread on the .22 Nosler. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...sler-cartridge

It appears to be an interesting cartridge. The 77g load should shoot a bit flatter out to 600 yards than the current .223 cartridges on the market.
    I looked before opening this thread, didn't see that. Mods feel free to merge the two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast