Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New sub $1K Arsenal SLR-107R

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Not a big AK fan, but I'd take two. One in plum and one it black to throw some Magpul Zhukov goodies on.

If one came out with a Krink stock, I'd take three.
    Last edited by cougar_guy04; 01-17-17 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumber237 View Post
    Does the SLR have the stock trunnion that is compatible with Magpul's AK stocks? I know my SAM7 isn't because milled Arsenals use a different trunnion that requires grinding to fit Magpul stocks.
    I read it's a stamped receiver where as the SAM7 is milled receiver and that's why the Magpul stock is not compatible. This should be GTG
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cougar_guy04 View Post
    Not a big AK fan, but I'd take two. One in plum and one it black to throw some Magpul Zhukov goodies on.

If one came out with a Krink stock, I'd take three.
    Huh? The regular SLR-107FR comes with either a 100-style poly folder or the triangle (Krink) folder. The whole point of these fixed-stock models is they're cheaper and don't have the folding stocks. Also, why does furniture color matter if you're going to swap it out for new furniture?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    Huh? The regular SLR-107FR comes with either a 100-style poly folder or the triangle (Krink) folder. The whole point of these fixed-stock models is they're cheaper and don't have the folding stocks. Also, why does furniture color matter if you're going to swap it out for new furniture?
    First off, I'm not all that up to speed on who is making what variant of AK anymore or who is making what with decent barrels. The AK is mostly just a curiosity for me. I know an AR front to back, top to bottom. Not so much with the AK, just who the reputable brands and builders are. I just looked up the SLR-107FR and that's exactly what I'd want to build. I knew Arsenal built those at one time but never knew if they were a limited run or not. Thanks for the info.

Second, the plum one would stay as is with the factory furniture. The black one would get the Magpul Zhukov treatment. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    First off, I'm not all that up to speed on who is making what variant of AK anymore or who is making what with decent barrels. The AK is mostly just a curiosity for me. I know an AR front to back, top to bottom. Not so much with the AK, just who the reputable brands and builders are. I just looked up the SLR-107FR and that's exactly what I'd want to build. I knew Arsenal built those at one time but never knew if they were a limited run or not. Thanks for the info.

Second, the plum one would stay as is with the factory furniture. The black one would get the Magpul Zhukov treatment. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my post.

The FR's have been in steady production for years, and only last year did they halt US shipments to handle military contracts. They'll be back in a year or so probably, but there should be an ample amount of used FR's, and maybe some new-old stock. If you want to look for the triangle-specific models, you can search "SLR107-34" for the 7.62x39, "SLR104-34" for the 5.45x39, and "SLR106-64" for the .223 Rem version. Probably won't find anything in a store or online, but you should be able to find something used.

And I gotcha. Be sure about the Zhukov handguard, though. It requires semi-permanent modification, and if you think you'll ever want to go back, just go with a different handguard from the start.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    The FR's have been in steady production for years, and only last year did they halt US shipments to handle military contracts. They'll be back in a year or so probably, but there should be an ample amount of used FR's, and maybe some new-old stock. If you want to look for the triangle-specific models, you can search "SLR107-34" for the 7.62x39, "SLR104-34" for the 5.45x39, and "SLR106-64" for the .223 Rem version. Probably won't find anything in a store or online, but you should be able to find something used.

And I gotcha. Be sure about the Zhukov handguard, though. It requires semi-permanent modification, and if you think you'll ever want to go back, just go with a different handguard from the start.
    Thanks for the insight, I appreciate the knowledge. My only experience is with a Century WASR 10-63 that is pretty "meh". It was to be expected, but the price was right.

Pretty sure about the Zhukov stuff (at least for the stock), but I'm hoping to lay hands on one before I commit to it. Nothing else, there's always the ultimak rail.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thanks for the insight, I appreciate the knowledge. My only experience is with a Century WASR 10-63 that is pretty "meh". It was to be expected, but the price was right.

Pretty sure about the Zhukov stuff (at least for the stock), but I'm hoping to lay hands on one before I commit to it. Nothing else, there's always the ultimak rail.

The WASR is fine as far as a base rifle goes. I would use it confidently, anyway. But the SLR-107-11 is a killer value in today's AK market, and well worth the price difference over the WASR. But to make a liar out of me, Atlantic got SLR-107FR's today. https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com....html?Itemid=0

You can always drop a triangle stock in there later on, it's as simple as pushing a pin.

And as for Zhukov... I've seen rifles at Cabela's with Zhukov handguards. I think they were RAS-47's or some shit, but you could at least handle them. I still don't really "get" the handguards, but some love them. The stock isn't bad either, I had a couple of the very first ones and they did indeed make long guns shorter, but they simply aren't as robust as the 4.5mm folders or a fixed K-Var stock.

Feedback Score
    Owned a few AK's at on point, sold them all and never looked back. Narrowed all my toys to two simple calibers 5.56 & 9mm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

New trigger too which is a bonus.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post

New trigger too which is a bonus.
    Showoff

Looking forward to all of your videos and thoughts after SHOT.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast