Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to AK-47s: Romanian SAR-1

Feedback Score
    The romy hf barrels will out last the owner

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have two SAR-1s and an SAR-2 in 5.45x39mm, the latter was my first ever gun. I threaded all three of mine, (14X1 reverse for the SAR-1, and 1/2x28mm for the SAR-2 followed by a 1/2x28 to 24x1.5 adapter and a jam nut to create a facsimile of an AK-74 threaded front sight base) if you do that and install the plunger pin and spring into the front sight base you'll be able to use standard AK muzzle devices on them, I've also heard of ways to retrofit homemade bayonet lugs on them but haven't tried that myself. If you were to do that though, the bayonet you have won't work, as it's for the older milled type AKs, where the mounting points for the bayonet are actually on the front sight base itself, so you'd need an AKM type bayonet.

Feedback Score
    That place out in Vegas that does the machine gun rentals was getting something like 80K rounds through their Romanian import rifles before replacing. The barrel will wear out eventually but according to them will still hold a pie plate sized group at 10 yards after that many rounds. I've run well over 25K through a 74 variant that still holds around 3MOA. So given that the 7.62x39 is a lower pressure round, slower moving round- you'd probably see easily 40K through that barrel on semi auto before noticing any major changes in accuracy. Get the plunger pin, spring, and have the muzzle threaded. Some gunsmiths can tig weld on some bayonet lugs if needed or just replace the gas block which are cheap- something like $15 per block, just need an AK smith who can do that for you.

7n6

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I have two SAR-1s and an SAR-2 in 5.45x39mm, the latter was my first ever gun. I threaded all three of mine, (14X1 reverse for the SAR-1, and 1/2x28mm for the SAR-2 followed by a 1/2x28 to 24x1.5 adapter and a jam nut to create a facsimile of an AK-74 threaded front sight base) if you do that and install the plunger pin and spring into the front sight base you'll be able to use standard AK muzzle devices on them,
    I wonder if there's enough meat on the 7.62x39 version to thread the muzzle.

The WUM series Romanian AK's, which were the first to be imported, are generally considered to be the best quality of all the Romanian AK's.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The SAR1s (7.62x39) are being threaded by owners, if I understand your question right.
    Last edited by darr3239; 01-25-17 at 16:33.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a threading kit that I used to thread my SAR1 years ago. I no longer need it, PM if interested.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What you have before yourself is an excellent rifle. I bought mine in 2004. Generally, you will need to be looking at least a 1/2" muzzle give or take to be able to thread it. I can't remember the exact dimension, but it's somewhere around there so that you can thread it 14x1LH. I threaded mine when the AWB ended back in 2004.

It has the proper AKM receiver with the X and Y stamps, as well as the dimples. These guns came into the country with a full magazine well, it was made that was at the Cugir factory in Romania. They were not cut out like the WASR's. You can purchase a front sight plunger and spring from CNC Warrior, and it will work fine. There are a metric shit ton of options for muzzle devices that are threaded 14x1LH.

The chrome lined hammer forged barrel as stated will outlast you. If you bought that gun in today's market and paid under $700, you got yourself a smokin' deal. Enjoy.

Feedback Score
    SAR 1's have the full sized barrel and are easily threaded for 14x1LH. Their muzzles were never turned down like the Maadi's or some of the WUM series Romanians. However, even if they were turned down, you can still have the muzzle threaded 1/2x28 and then use some custom muzzle devices from CNC Warrior. so either way, you are fine.

7n6

Feedback Score
    I did not realize that. Fortunately, my WUM1 came with a threaded barrel (hidden under a tac welded muzzle nut).

Feedback Score
    You have purchased the Caterpillar bulldozer of AKs - you can't kill a Romanian AK. They're usually not pretty to look at, but they shoot, and shoot, and shoot. I have 2 and would trust my life to their reliability and robustness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast