Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spike's Sandbox combo build, anyone done one?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Put the BCM upper on the Delton lower because Delton is made in Elizabethtown NC and we own a house at White Lake, the neighboring town. So in 2009, I walked into Delton and bought 3 stripped lowers to build during grad school. Main gun has a Larue MBT2s, RRA LPK, KNS pins, etc . Pics of it below. The BCM upper came with a DD Lite II rail that I swapped last year for a Samson Evo from 556Tactical for less weight and a smaller diameter. KISS rifle in FG was built on the other Delton lower and has a PSA pencil upper.

I agree on the 12" rail being short for an 18" barrel since I'd likely want a bipod. I think I will end up going the SBR route. I've got 3 other lowers to build on as well including a billet stripped, stripped Anderson, and complete Moe PSA. Between them I know I want something with an 18" barrel and some magnification, a 10.5"/11.5" SBR, and likely a 7.5" pistol build (that I am thinking I may try the Adams Arms piston kit on).

Some pics
    Current 3 before the FDE furniture on the S&W:

S&W with FDE

Main rifle

and for gigs, the SBR Scorpion

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    It's got teeth. I've never seen an AR with teeth before.
    I put function over fashion, but I'd be embarrassed by having a gun with teeth... It would be kind of like painting a "flying tiger" set of teeth on my Subaru.

That said, if I had to buy a Spike's, then I'd rather have the teeth than the fighting penises.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I put function over fashion, but I'd be embarrassed by having a gun with teeth... It would be kind of like painting a "flying tiger" set of teeth on my Subaru.

That said, if I had to buy a Spike's, then I'd rather have the teeth than the fighting penises.
    Same here. Every AR I've built is first and foremost a fighting weapon, by design and by the components used to build it.
    I couldn't help but imagine someone dressed up as a clown and wielding that toothy AR...
    That would be a sight to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    To me having a receiver with shark teeth, or a Punisher skull, or some cute badass slogan just reeks of trying to impress someone rather than cultivating a reliable fighting weapon.

Not that I haven't worn a baseball cap with a Punisher skull on it, but that's just a piece of clothing; that's not part of my "kit."

I prefer my rifles to adhere to the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, not my cup of tea. That's an interesting receiver setup for sure...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All good points, but he apparently likes it. I get the comments IF that was the only rifle he had, but it certainly looks like it isn't.

As I said, if it was cheaper I'd get one for grins and giggles, have my daughter (a serious artist) paint the face and then cover with Norrell's Clear Satin Moly Resin.

OP - I know Noveske says the Flaming Pig isn't designed to time with the pig in any particular position, but I'd try to get it so it looked like the lower was chasing the pig.

You other guys - lighten up, 'Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness' don't mean his happiness is yours.

ETA: OP any plans to shave the FSP and make those carbine's fore-ends more useful? Since others are talking about looks versus utility, my personal take is that the actual carbine profile is not only butt ugly, but limits what you can hang on the hand guards and hinders effective combat marksmanship. I get why the .gov built it that way, but having freedom of choice, I won't own one.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-18-17 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    All good points, but he apparently likes it. I get the comments IF that was the only rifle he had, but it certainly looks like it isn't.

As I said, if it was cheaper I'd get one for grins and giggles, have my daughter (a serious artist) paint the face and then cover with Norrell's Clear Satin Moly Resin.

OP - I know Noveske says the Flaming Pig isn't designed to time with the pig in any particular position, but I'd try to get it so it looked like the lower was chasing the pig.

You other guys - lighten up, 'Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness' don't mean his happiness is yours.

ETA: OP any plans to shave the FSP and make those carbine's fore-ends more useful? Since others are talking about looks versus utility, my personal take is that the actual carbine profile is not only butt ugly, but limits what you can hang on the hand guards and hinders effective combat marksmanship. I get why the .gov built it that way, but having freedom of choice, I won't own one.
    26 Inf, thanks for the reply. I would consider shaving the FSB, but there's no real point, I'll just build additional guns. I like the FSP guns since they are simple and lightweight and offer up something different when shooting them. I don't plan on doing any real hardcore training for a while, as I have a 2 year old, working on a second one, and a career that eats up most of my time.

I also like the idea of timing the pig to align with the side profile of the gun to give it an interesting look. With the rail being 12" it may be better to do a 300 build on this with a shorter 8" barrel and tuck the suppressor under it. However I think a 10.5" or 11.5" barrel and the pig would be a wicked look for sure.

All of these posts, and only a few with actual useful feedback. Do you all have too much free time or just like the "trial by fire" to keep the board as vanilla as possible?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Spike's Sandbox combo build, anyone done one?

Quote Originally Posted by JRHorne View Post
    All of these posts, and only a few with actual useful feedback. Do you all have too much free time or just like the "trial by fire" to keep the board as vanilla as possible?
    Useful feedback per your questions would require someone to like the style or type of AR you are building and as pointed out for many it's just not our cup o' tea. But I've had a good time reading the posts and adding my own two useless posts. Except I gotta say the whole clown outfit and gun with teeth was the highlight of a rather crappy morning. Made myself laugh on that.
    Also when I look at the custom build forum I don't see anything "vanilla" there. I see a lot of creative thought and for the most part some excellent builds. Certainly within he financial means of the builder.. Just because the teeth of our weapons are in the spitting end and not the lower receiver, doesn't mean that there is a lack of imagination on M4C. (That was a good one..)
    It was posted early in that you might get harassed, but from what I have seen it was all in good fun. I don't think anyone here is opposed to your build- build what you want as long as it's safe and you're happy. I really don't care if it's got teeth or not, but it sure as fun to poke a little fun with it.I mean your AR has teeth! If someone can't chuckle about that, then I'd say their fun meter needs calibrating. But I haven't seen a single comment with malice. You got some welcomes too.

Oh and 26Inf is just a super nice guy. He's not like the rest of us degenerates. ;-)
    (that was a compliment 26)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JRHorne View Post

Frankly, I was trying in a subtle way to get you to think past how badass a gun "looks". People manufacture funky looking equipment designed to look cool and scary because that's what is more likely to get the average person to part with their money.

If you have one or more genuine top tier, combat ready weapons and just want to build one with nasty looking shark teeth for the fun of it: more power to ya.

Too often, though, people don't stop to think that the quality is "under the hood" and has little to do with how mean the thing looks.

If that isn't you, my apologies. I just usually see posts like this where someone wants to show off their badass configuration, yet that same person doesn't bother to consider increasing their proficiency with it, or pushing its capabilities to see if it chokes, and whatnot.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 01-18-17 at 13:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Frankly, I was trying in a subtle way to get you to think past how badass a gun "looks". People manufacture funky looking equipment designed to look cool and scary because that's what is more likely to get the average person to part with their money.

If you have one or more genuine top tier, combat ready weapons and just want to build one with nasty looking shark teeth for the fun of it: more power to ya.

Too often, though, people don't stop to think that the quality is "under the hood" and has little to do with how mean the thing looks.

If that isn't you, my apologies. I just usually see posts like this where someone wants to show off their badass configuration, yet that same person doesn't bother to consider increasing their proficiency with it, or pushing its capabilities to see if it chokes, and whatnot.
    Well said DG
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast