Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 blk barrel, which one?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

300 blk barrel, which one?

I am in the market for a .300blk barrel, and am having a hard time making a decision.

First, I am not sure what all this will be used for, but it will probably have a red dot. Right now the plan is majority subs, with a can (Saker or Omega) and maybe occasionally supers, but no real purpose on that front. This will be replacing the barrel on a "range toy", so lets focus there for the build.

If it matters, I already have a 12.5 556 SBR, and have been eyeing the idea of an 11.5 as a second SBR, so the 5.56 is covered.

The upper it is going on has a 10" rail that I was able to mount a Saker or Omega on (outside of the rail) but it is big enough for the can to go inside. That is not a goal, but a possibility. Of course, could always swap rails in the future too, but because of that I am primarily looking at 10.5" barrels.

I have a Seekins .750 adjustable gas block to go on it.

I am looking at the following in the mid-higher end range ($200-300)

Noveske 10.5 https://dsgarms.com/nov07000034
    Seekins SS 10.5 http://www.capitolarmory.com/seekins...ch-barrel.html
    Mega Arms 10.5" (416 SS, nitrided) http://www.megaarms.com/ar-15/ar15-b...ckout-barrels/

Then on the cheaper side ($150 or under) there are

DSG 8.5": https://dsgarms.com/dsghbarrel-300-001
    Faxon 10.5: https://www.rainierarms.com/faxon-fi...ht-barrel-10-5
    SOLGW 9": https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/co...ant=3083520321

I am not finding many (if any) reviews on the DSG, SOLGW, or Mega barrels, and very little on Faxon. Seems like most of what I can find is around Noveske, Seekins (older posts), and KAK barrels on other sites, along with stuff like Radical, PSA, and a few others.

I know I dont really care about velocity differences, especially with subs, but I know it may one day become the HD rifle just for the extra quiet (once reliability is established), so I am not sure where to go...

Feedback Score
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks - but why would I go Aero/BA vs anything else I have listed?

They are more expensive than multiple options, while still being 4150 steel with QPC coating, which has me a little hesitant.

Do you have any experience with a specific barrel?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I have the SOLGW barrel bu haven't gotten much time with it yet other then a quick function check. It train well with superbug haven't tried it with subs or suppressed yet.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have 5.56 barrels from Faxon and AP / Ballistic Advantage, and have been happy with all of them. Unfortunately those two companies seem to have chosen the silly "GI" profile for their short 300BLK barrels, and I would skip that.

If you decide you want one anyway, AIM sells the Faxon barrel with a pinned gas block:
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...l&search=faxon

The Mega looks like a good barrel at a reasonable price. I can't see spending Noveske money on a short barrel for a range toy.

FWIW, I have 300BLK barrels made by AAC, DS Arms (not DSG Arms), and AR-Stoner (Midway-USA house brand), and all of them have worked fine, with no perceived accuracy differences so far. I haven't done extensive testing on any of them though - the ammo drought coincided with the part of my life when I had shooting time, so they didn't get used much, and now that ammo is more readily available I have less time to shoot.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It could be argued at 10.5", 5.56 makes just as much sense.

The original Honey Badger used a 6" barrel, while the new one uses a 7" barrel.

The 7.5" is a nice configuration for 300BLK, especially for suppressed use.

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...tegory=1852006
    Last edited by Clint; 01-18-17 at 10:42.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Without a purpose given by the OP other than possibly replacing a range toy and a desired rail length for the cans mentioned, how can we make a recommendation with such limited information? There's a lot of pro's and con's associated with different barrels, even with the stated majority of subs in use.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    BC98 - Thanks, wish you had more time with it though!

Someotherguy- -I understand the time thing, thats the way it goes! like you mention, the money outlay has to match the need or desire, so that is part of the trouble I am having.

Clint - I have looked into shorter barrels, but heard some reliability issues under 8" over on 300blk forum, I am still considering shorter barrels but I dont know which direction to head. Just not convinced I want to go under the rail, though the Honey Badger is a handy little package.

Tom - sorry to have caused confusion, Ill try to clarify.

What purpose do you need other than range toy and possible HD gun in the future?
    I have not listed a desired rail length, only mentioned the one the upper was built with, along with the fact that I am open to changing that if needed. The purpose of that part was to explain why I was looking at 10.5" barrels, and that a shorter barrel could be used since the cans will fit inside the rail.

I would love to have some discussion on the pros and cons associated with different barrel lengths, specifically the sub 7", 8.5", and over 10". My understanding is 8.5 is about ideal for all around use, but I am not sure if that is the case.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure how to begin, other than stating that most subsonic suppressed only combinations can run well to 7" and a little shorter with a pistol gas system length. Supersonic only combinations can really work well when you extend the barrel length, but after around 12.5" the gains are not as high going longer compared to shorter lengths.
    You can make a 7"ish supersonic combo run, but you will need to add action mass if it's based on the subsonic combo. That combination would need more action mass to maintain a desired cyclic rate. The 7"ish super combinations are brutal as far as erosion goes, and the cans need to be able to handle the muzzle pressure.
    A 12.5" barrel with supers could be considered a realistic upper limit for most in barrel length. Sure, you can go longer and gain velocity, but those gains are smaller with an additional loss that adds up with that extended length. Running subsonics in a 12.5" combination could be related to having almost 6" of extra barrel length that you don't need, with all the negatives associated with that.
    I realistically think that 9"ish is about the best compromise between the two. I've used a little longer and shorter, but within a realistic limit combining the two without a lot of detriment compared to a dedicated system between either subs or supers.
    Last edited by tom12.7; 01-20-17 at 17:47. Reason: Doing two things at the same time, sorry.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Awesome info, thank you.

I was just about settled on 8.5-9" for my ideal gun, and that helps solidify the choice. Now to find the barrel for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast