Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your full-size pistols?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All my Colt and STI 1911s live in the safe. Maybe someday I'll go back to them. Meanwhile living in S Florida, it is just easier going with Colt CCOs and Glock 19s for EDC and Competition.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Glock 17

It is carried daily, IWB, concealed.

It is no harder to conceal a 17 than it is a 19. Belt, holster and clothing are the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    If it's not a duty sidearm what do you do with it?

Carry it open? Concealed? House pistol? Vehicle holster pistol? Competition? Training new shooters? Hunt?

Was looking at getting another full size pistol but figured if It's not for any of the above there is no practical reason to have one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Glock 17

It is no harder to conceal a 17 than it is a 19. Belt, holster and clothing are the key.
    I see. Since I don't carry the G19 anymore I only use it as a stash house gun and for the occasional competition.
    There are better pistols for both purposes so I was considering getting something else.
    Having tried out guns other than Glocks I am no longer quite the fan I was and enjoy shooting and carrying other guns more. So I don't think I'd get another Glock. (unless I find that 100 % reliable, awesome trigger for Glocks)

If I were to get another, a G34 or 17 cut down to G19 grip length appeals the most.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I stopped carrying and shooting the Glock 19 sized guns. They do not agree with my hands. Or maybe my hands don't agree with them.

PM if you'd like; but what other gun(s) have you started carrying?

I see. Since I don't carry the G19 anymore I only use it as a stash house gun and for the occasional competition.
    There are better pistols for both purposes so I was considering getting something else.
    Having tried out guns other than Glocks I am no longer quite the fan I was and enjoy shooting and carrying other guns more. So I don't think I'd get another Glock. (unless I find that 100 % reliable, awesome trigger for Glocks)

If I were to get another, a G34 or 17 cut down to G19 grip length appeals the most.

Feedback Score
    I stopped carrying and shooting the Glock 19 sized guns. They do not agree with my hands. Or maybe my hands don't agree with them.

PM if you'd like; but what other gun(s) have you started carrying?
    Ever since I got my Beretta 81FS (Cheetah) 7.65mm/.32 I've been carrying it. Okay since it's second range trip. Accurate, reliable, fast handling and fast shooting.

I also enjoy the extra margin of safety given by the smooth double action trigger. (about 9 lbs) Also love the rapidity of fire and feel of the communicative single action trigger. The decocker is perfect (down to fire like a 1911) and even though it's a safety as well, I've had no issues with accidental activation and don't expect any. It takes an effort to decock/put on safe which is ideal. Maintenance is easy. (like a M92)

The sights are small but with a painted front they are plenty fast and accurate. The grip is little on the short side but otherwise fine (no pinching during reloads) and lends to concealment and comfort. Magazines are ejected forcefully. The pistol weighs about 27 oz loaded with 13 rnds and is a joy to hold and shoot. (much less recoil than .380, which feels like a 9x19 in a blow-back) Spare mags are very light, too.

The slide is the widest part that goes in my belt line. The frame itself is much narrower and the top of the slide/barrel rounded and that leads to comfort.

Yea, it's just a .32 and I don't care. The European ammo I use gets about 950-1050 fps (73 gr) and penetration of 14-16 inches calibrated ballistic gelatin (with one or two flips of the bullet) is the norm and I'm fine with that.

After spending time with this gun I just can't enjoy the blocky Glock grip and spongy, long trigger of a Glock anymore. Although I still shoot the Glock well.

But I digress (now that I'm derailing my own thread). I would probably get a full-size Beretta 92 9mm if they had the same type of frame-mounted decocker, reduced (vertec style?) grip circumference, and compact-length barrel. But I wouldn't carry it. Too fat and heavy. It would be a competition and house gun.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-30-17 at 00:22.

Feedback Score
    For fun and for carry. I've carried mainly full sized guns. Sig P220 pre-rail model and the Beretta PX4 full size seeing the most carry. Proper holster and cover are really all you need. I buy my pants up a size and I can even carry a spare mag if I want. I've carried my wife's P30 a few times and want to move to something smaller like that or something in the Glock 19 size. Budget allowing that is.
    Industry Disclosure: I work at a local gun shop.

Feedback Score
    Night stand / range toy, my Glock 17 sports an InForce light and as far as pistols go it's what I shoot the most. I know a lot of people prefer the 19 to the 17, but I'm actually the opposite.
    Last edited by tgizzard; 02-02-17 at 18:43.

Feedback Score
    Glock 17

Concur 100%. My 17 rarely, if ever, leaves my reach. It is my daily concealed carry IWB. At home its on an end table or my nightstand if its not on my belt. It sees a few hundred rounds a week in range time, and only "mods" are TFOs, aggressive stippling, and threaded barrel.

Feedback Score
    Ever since I got my Beretta 81FS (Cheetah) 7.65mm/.32 I've been carrying it. Okay since it's second range trip. Accurate, reliable, fast handling and fast shooting.
    To clarify I actually practice what I'll call "dual primary" carry. I carry the Beretta but at the same time a Ruger LCR .357. (Loaded with the mild Hornady .357 Critical Duty 135 gr jhp)

Feedback Score
    As others have stated, a full size G17/22 Glock can be carried concealed with a good belt and holster combination and thoughtful choice of clothing.
    A one size larger polo shirt or sweater covers a OWB carried G22 for me at about a fifteen degree cant. IWB works even better when my back and hips can tolerate it.
    That being said, my daily carry is my issued G23 gen 4 in a Glock sport combat polymer holster when off duty. If I have to use it for real, it will be the company gun in evidence, not mine.
    We will most likely be changing to G17s in a couple of years and if I am still there, it will be my off duty carry.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 02-21-17 at 05:15.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast