Thread: What pump for 3 Gun Heavy?

Feedback Score

What pump for 3 Gun Heavy?

So I've shot 10 matches of 3 gun and been running in the practical or old tac ops division and have been kicking around the idea of shooting heavy metal since I have a 308 AR and a 1911. I run a JM Pro 930 and like the safety on the mossbergs, it's quick to get on fire and super easy to put on safe when dumping it in a barrel. But most 500's and 590's have open cylinder and no chokes which is less than ideal. I gave some thought to getting a nova if I could find one cheap. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Benelli nova or super nova are the only two guns you see in heavy worth owning.

Feedback Score
    I've looked nova's and they're nice. Since you're a big name in 3gun can you tell me anything about this new class for 308? The match I was at on sunday was saying that there is a class where you can shoot 308 rifle but still keep your 9mm and 12ga semi from practical.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    I've looked nova's and they're nice. Since you're a big name in 3gun can you tell me anything about this new class for 308? The match I was at on sunday was saying that there is a class where you can shoot 308 rifle but still keep your 9mm and 12ga semi from practical.
    The Heavy division are so different at every match. 3GN has one set of rules and every outlaw match has another.
    To me the easiest was the rules that just turned you to run a heavy rifle but the pump gun was the most fun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you get a Nova, you might consider a 24" field model. Then you have the ability to choke it. I have seen many guys struggle with steel with cylinder bore SG's, especially small steel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    If you get a Nova, you might consider a 24" field model. Then you have the ability to choke it. I have seen many guys struggle with steel with cylinder bore SG's, especially small steel.
    Agreed. Chokes are mandatory

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know zero about 3 gun competition but have a question. Chokes aside, why is the Nova better than a Mossberg 590 or 590a1 or a Rem 870 for the heavy category?
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    I know zero about 3 gun competition but have a question. Chokes aside, why is the Nova better than a Mossberg 590 or 590a1 or a Rem 870 for the heavy category?
    Thank you.
    Reliability & loadability. It's a better built gun then the Mossberg or Remington pumps. Plus it's easier to do the 2-3 modifications needed for 3-gun.