Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird FTE problem with my carbine

Feedback Score

Weird FTE problem with my carbine

Okay, weird to me, maybe not to y'all...

I'm seeing this between every 5-9 rounds out of one of my carbines where I get a double feed into the chamber where the rifle is attempting to feed both the new round and the spent cartridge, rear first, into the chamber. This is happening with all types of ammo, from factory .223, my handloads to the hotter M193, M855 and IMI Razor core. Extraction from the chamber is 100 percent but even shooting single shots occasionally I'll find the spent cartridge laying rear end inside the lower, on the empty mag, rear end toward the chamber.

Ejector issue? Time for a new spring? That ejector spring roll pin's tiny...

Feedback Score
    It may be the extractor as well. If the extractor is weak, the ejector can overpower it and lose control of the case. If the rifle is over-gassed it will make this situation more likely to happen as well.

I would look at the ejector tension, extractor and extractor spring, and make sure the buffer is appropriate and the spring within spec.

It would help if you post more details about your rifle, what kind it is, how many rounds through it, what buffer and spring.

Feedback Score
    Extractor and spring have already been replaced. It's grabbing the case and pulling them out of the chamber, they're just not ejecting correctly.

It's a frankengun, DPMS lower and lower parts, High Standard 16" M4gery upper 1X7 barrel and BCG. Round count is probably close to 4000, mostly M193 and my handloads, either a 77 SMK with 24 grains RL15 or 55 grain FMJ/HPBT with 25.5 grains H335.

It probably is time for a new buffer spring, was going to replace it and maybe try a heavier CMMG buffer for gits and shiggles, too.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Most likely ejector, but check the extractor while you're at it.

Use a spent case to work some lube into the ejector.
    Last edited by Clint; 01-08-17 at 13:09.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I'm with Clint, this sounds like an ejector issue.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I pulled the bolt and cleaned it up as best I can, drop of oil on the ejector and worked it with a spent case for a couple minutes. New extractor and spring has less than 500 rounds on them. I'm going to replace the buffer spring and pick up a heavy carbine buffer later in the week and give it another workout next weekend.

What's the best way to replace the extractor spring? I'm considering just replacing the bolt entirely, have a local gunsmith replace the spring and rathole it away as a spare.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Have you tried the bcg in another weapon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    I know it's $25, and there's a lot of ways to skin that cat, but it's ridiculously easy with one of these.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-part...prod34719.aspx
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaholder View Post
    What's the best way to replace the extractor spring? I'm considering just replacing the bolt entirely, have a local gunsmith replace the spring and rathole it away as a spare.
    I'd vote for the spare idea.

Since the GI gage is currently unobtanium, you need to remove the ejector from the bolt to properly check head space.

A tool is the best way, but if you don't want to spend the money, there are other ways, mostly involving 3 hands. This is an easy way if you have a bigger vise: Take a block of 2x4 and drill a hole in it just large enough to hold the bolt tail. Make sure you drill the hole in a location where the jaw of the vice can be placed directly behind it.

Next take a .223/5.56 case and cut it down to where it will extend beyond the bolt.

To avoid getting into three hand territory, open the vise just large enough to accept the fixture with the bolt and case, then hold the fixture while you adjust the vise until the case has pushed the extractor into the bolt.

I always put a dab of Kroil in the roll pin hole at some point to help loosen things up, really not needed. Make sure to gently tap the roll pin out, if you get to carried away the bolt can twist, and the whole thin can shift.

Tools are cool, but as Red Green says 'If the women don't find you handsome, they can sure find you handy.'

BTW: I have the Brownell's tool and a knockoff of this one: http://azshooterssupply.com/product....+Ejector+Block

Feedback Score
    Okay holding the bolt I've got, what size punch do I need to knock this pin out with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast