This is not a bash on BCM. They are an amazing company and I have never had any major problems with them even now.

But tonight I tried to take the FSB off my favorite LW upper so I could replace the magpul hand guards. I have a Jig and good punch set. I have done this on dozens if not over 100 guns for myself and friends. It really isn't hard right? And this has become my favorite upper. Like a good lover you want her to have all the nicest things. Lets get too this I thought to myself.

So I lay the upper gently in the Jig and whisper to it how everything it going to be fine, there will just be a couple quick taps and all will be better. Just like getting a shot. No real pain...

Oh how I was wrong. So very, very wrong...

The rear pin was difficult. It took some lube and I had to start with a bigger punch to get it started but after some really hard smacks with the hammer but it eventually came out.

The forward FSB pin though... Oh that pin. So I started with normal punch. Nothing. It just kept sliding off and my upper was getting mad about it. At one point she even took a nice little check out of my palm. It is worth noting that at this point the feisty little vixen is giving me the silent treatment, not that I don't deserve it. LOL

So lets bypass the punch for a minute I think. How about my press. It is a small home made deal but should be fine for this right? Yeah. About as right as Obama on gun policy... I watch in horror as the punch I have fit in the press starts to bend.... This isn't going to work. So I pull her out of the press and decide to resort to my final devious plan.

To to the drill Press! I will use the proper sized bit and make the top of the pin concave. This will keep the punch in there and it wont' slip out. Then I can use multiple taps to work it out... We are beyond Obama wrong here. We are into invade Russia in winter wrong at this point. I watch as the Drill bit spins on top of the Pin. As I apply more pressure it skips off and starts chattering around the pin and cewing up the FSB... I decide that I should go with a larger bit, one that won't slip or flex like that. How about a 9/32 bit? That should do it if I am careful. Solid so it won't flex. If I don't go too far down it will just create a small pocket, worst case I can follow up with the smaller bit, drill it out and replace it right?......

Yeah.. What is dumber than invading Russia in winter? I don't know off the top of my head but this was for sure.

Just like the last bit it flexed. Chattered around the sides and chewed up the FSB.

So I did what any hard working type A personality go getter would do. I said **** it. Turned off my shit and came in to drink some Woodford Reserve and then ask you all what the hell I am doing wrong.

Seriously. What the hell does BCM make these roll pins out of and use to put them in? I am assuming they mix the steel with some ground up unicorn horn and then push them in with a 1000 ton industrial press. Ideas? Suggestions?

I am going back to my bourbon. Thanks for any advice or ridicule. I will accept both with the grace I am sure they will be given...

Oh yeah. Here is a Picture of her. She still won't talk to me and said something about a restraining order.

20170118_211622.jpg