Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown primers (Independence XM193i related)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Blown primers (Independence XM193i related)

The other night I was at the range shooting Independence 5.56 55 grain ammo and was getting several blown primers. I tried to do some research and found most causes are over-pressured ammo, generally reloads. Never had that problem before. I know Independence is a sub of Federal so I figured they'd be good to go.

Is there anything else that can cause primers to blow? And can it damage the rifle? I have a 14.5 BCM midlength.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    That's pretty common with that ammo.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    When you say blown primers, do you mean the primers fall out of the pockets, or that the primers are blowing out at the firing pin marks?

Soft cases, out of spec primer pockets, severe over pressure expanding the primer pockets, and firing out of battery can all result in primers falling out of the cases. Primer pockets stretch on reloaded cases and it is a sign that a case has reached its maximum number of reloads.

Excessive firing pin protrusion will cause the primer to blow out at the firing pin.

Either way, yes it can damage your rifle. If the primer is lose or blowing out, it will leak gas and can damage your bolt face (or your face). Loose primers can get stuck in moving parts and cause all sorts of malfunctions.

I would not continue to use that ammo.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP- What you are experiencing has been seen before. Please add lot number information to this thread, and then check out these others.

Update: Independence 5.56 XM193I
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ce-5-56-XM193I

Federal (Independence) XM193i
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ndence)-XM193i
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Stop shooting that ammo immediately!!! Contact the manufacturer and let them know. That ammo is NOT safe to shoot and can blow up your gun or injure you. This is a serious concern.

That ammo should be loaded to around 62,000 psi. Small rifle primers start to be pierced from the firing pin around 70,000 psi. Primers that are for magnums or NATO spec ( which the independence ammo should be NATO spec primers) they can tolerate higher psi before being pierced due to a thicker cup. I am guessing, but for the primer to be blown completely out the back of the brass it maybe loaded as high as 75,000+ psi.

Proof load are what? Around 70,000 psi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll check for the lot number.

How does a rifle fire out of battery and how do I know if that was the problem?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It is unlikely your AR is firing out of battery. I was a little generic when I said that was one cause of blown primers.
    If the Independence ammunition is the only one that blows primers, the ammo is suspect.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Can you post a pic of the blown primers and cases? Like ace said above, could be dangerous.....
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Anyone with Lot: FC15J001-149 beware...my son and I cracked open a new case last weekend and it's HOT! Could feel it in the recoil and primers are backing completely out. Just a heads up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, that is scary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast