Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously BCM? What do you use for FSB pins? Or: Never invade Russia in Winter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Timber Creek 9 inch rail. Was going to put a BCM on it but my shop has some Timber Creek rails I want to try out. The 9 inch is only 7.4lbs which is actually a tiny bit lighter than a 9 inch KMR alpha.

Attachment 43531Attachment 43532
    7.4 pounds? Or ounces? Cuz if the former, DAMN! If the later, you said a glass of Woodford Reserve, not a bottle.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    7.4 pounds? Or ounces? Cuz if the former, DAMN! If the later, you said a glass of Woodford Reserve, not a bottle.
    7.4 Oz. The glass of woodford was an hour ago. It brought friends.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Soaking the pins in KROIL a day or two before working on it has worked well for the few i have been around.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    This is not a bash on BCM. They are an amazing company and I have never had any major problems with them even now.

But tonight I tried to take the FSB off my favorite LW upper so I could replace the magpul hand guards. I have a Jig and good punch set. I have done this on dozens if not over 100 guns for myself and friends. It really isn't hard right? And this has become my favorite upper. Like a good lover you want her to have all the nicest things. Lets get too this I thought to myself.

So I lay the upper gently in the Jig and whisper to it how everything it going to be fine, there will just be a couple quick taps and all will be better. Just like getting a shot. No real pain...

Oh how I was wrong. So very, very wrong...

The rear pin was difficult. It took some lube and I had to start with a bigger punch to get it started but after some really hard smacks with the hammer but it eventually came out.

The forward FSB pin though... Oh that pin. So I started with normal punch. Nothing. It just kept sliding off and my upper was getting mad about it. At one point she even took a nice little check out of my palm. It is worth noting that at this point the feisty little vixen is giving me the silent treatment, not that I don't deserve it. LOL

So lets bypass the punch for a minute I think. How about my press. It is a small home made deal but should be fine for this right? Yeah. About as right as Obama on gun policy... I watch in horror as the punch I have fit in the press starts to bend.... This isn't going to work. So I pull her out of the press and decide to resort to my final devious plan.

To to the drill Press! I will use the proper sized bit and make the top of the pin concave. This will keep the punch in there and it wont' slip out. Then I can use multiple taps to work it out... We are beyond Obama wrong here. We are into invade Russia in winter wrong at this point. I watch as the Drill bit spins on top of the Pin. As I apply more pressure it skips off and starts chattering around the pin and cewing up the FSB... I decide that I should go with a larger bit, one that won't slip or flex like that. How about a 9/32 bit? That should do it if I am careful. Solid so it won't flex. If I don't go too far down it will just create a small pocket, worst case I can follow up with the smaller bit, drill it out and replace it right?......

Yeah.. What is dumber than invading Russia in winter? I don't know off the top of my head but this was for sure.

Just like the last bit it flexed. Chattered around the sides and chewed up the FSB.

So I did what any hard working type A personality go getter would do. I said **** it. Turned off my shit and came in to drink some Woodford Reserve and then ask you all what the hell I am doing wrong.

Seriously. What the hell does BCM make these roll pins out of and use to put them in? I am assuming they mix the steel with some ground up unicorn horn and then push them in with a 1000 ton industrial press. Ideas? Suggestions?

I am going back to my bourbon. Thanks for any advice or ridicule. I will accept both with the grace I am sure they will be given...

Oh yeah. Here is a Picture of her. She still won't talk to me and said something about a restraining order.

Attachment 43529
    Did you try punching from the other side?
    Also for drilling stuff like this, I start with a very thin bit (maybe a cobalt one), high rpm, low pressure to start, then move to a bigger bit.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-18-17 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Did you try punching from the other side?
    Also for drilling stuff like this, I start with a very thin bit (maybe a cobalt one), high rpm, low pressure to start, then move to a bigger bit.
    Yeah I did try that. Thought it might help break it loose even. No joy..

At this point I am just going to take it to ESR tomorrow and see what they think. Anything can be fixed. It is just a matter of how I want to go about it. If they ahve extra pins I think I am just going to work on drilling it and replace the pin then permablue the damn thing.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What was your foundation for this task? Work bench?

You need a sturdy punch, a BFH, and a concrete floor. A couple sharp blows with the BFH on the floor (supported by the jig) should do it.

Probably too late a this point though...
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Heat that FSB up and give it another go. I would have tried heat before drilling. Those pins are very hard.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    When I remove taper pins I use a 4lb. hammer and a concrete floor. Starting out with anything less is usually a waste of time. I've done several BCMs and Colts this way and never had a problem, however you may have stumbled upon an exceptionally difficult one. Best wishes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP, it looks like a demented Meth head tried to remove the pins. The right answer is below. You will not have a good outcome if you try to drill the pins out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    What was your foundation for this task? Work bench?

You need a sturdy punch, a BFH, and a concrete floor. A couple sharp blows with the BFH on the floor (supported by the jig) should do it.

Probably too late a this point though...

This is the right answer.^^^ I've learned to do mine on the concrete garage floor. I wrap the barrel in an old tee-shirt and tape it to avoid scratches. I put some penetrating oil on the pins and let it sit. After awhile, I take a hard wood block with a groove and holes cut into it, set it on the concrete floor. I then level the barrel to the wood block on the floor.

IMPORTANT: I altered a punch that is larger than the pin with a dremel so that it has a concave surface. It tends to not jump off the pin.

With a 3lb. sledge and a punch I give the pin a wack. And I'll oil it and wack it a couple more times if it doesn't come lose. If it doesn't. I'll heat it with a torch just enough to get it hot and try it again.

I've never had to go at pins like that.

A press is probably the correct tool, but I just don't do it enough to justify a press for that
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 01-18-17 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I think you've gotten the right answers.
    The pins are hardened steel and that is by design. That's why your drill bit danced on the pin head, but found a willing partner (or unwilling) in your FSB...
    But what you did...to that FSB........
    "And there was weeping and gnashing of teeth.." Good luck getting that squared up. Sorry you had to jack it all up like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast