Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously BCM? What do you use for FSB pins? Or: Never invade Russia in Winter.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    You do have one of these, right?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod20727.aspx

If you cannot get them out, email the nice people at BCM, and explain your plight. You can ship the upper to them, they will remove the pins and return it to you. You will pay shipping both ways, and a small labor charge. Use new roll pins, do not reuse the old ones. They do sell the correct tapered roll pins for a couple of bucks, I always keep a few pairs of them on hand.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Oh, and if that does not work, please send it to Iraqgunz after he gets back from SHOT.

He has this really neat Box of Shame that he brings to all his armorer classes.

(I'm just teasing - enjoy your Woodford Reserve.)

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Seriously BCM? What do you use for FSB pins? Or: Never invade Russia in Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Oh, and if that does not work, please send it to Iraqgunz after he gets back from SHOT.

He has this really neat Box of Shame that he brings to all his armorer classes.

(I'm just teasing - enjoy your Woodford Reserve.)
    I figured that's why we hadn't heard from IG in the past couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    OP: Can I screenshot your pic and post it over on the "Gunsmith Hall of Shame" thread?
    I'll post a "The names and places of the parties involved, namely Kwelz, have been changed to protect the innocent". That way nobody will know it was you, Kwelz that made the booboo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    You do have one of these, right?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod20727.aspx

If you cannot get them out, email the nice people at BCM, and explain your plight. You can ship the upper to them, they will remove the pins and return it to you. You will pay shipping both ways, and a small labor charge. Use new roll pins, do not reuse the old ones. They do sell the correct tapered roll pins for a couple of bucks, I always keep a few pairs of them on hand.
    Yes I do, although mine is a bit different.
    I use this one
    https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-60981.../dp/B0047WKF84

And I built a Jig that holds the upper in place so it doesn't move when I am working. As I stated, I have done dozens of these over the past few years. I am of course no where near the level of many members here but I have done enough to know what I am doing and can say I have never had this kind of problem before. When the Drill bit in the press slipped and started biting
    the FSB I felt like I was going to be sick.

Honestly I have no doubt that I can get it out and then get it back to looking just fine. The photo actually makes it look a lot worse than it really is. But that doesn't change that this has really bothered me. I dont' know if it has shaken my confidence in my ability to work on my guns. But it has come pretty close.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I figured that's why we hadn't heard from IG in the past couple of days.

OP: Can I screenshot your pic and post it over on the "Gunsmith Hall of Shame" thread?
    I'll post a "The names and places of the parties involved, namely Kwelz, have been changed to protect the innocent". That way nobody will know it was you, Kwelz that made the booboo.

If you don't I will. LOL.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Damn dude lol. I love a project devolving into bitterness and liquor drinks as much as the next guy, but wow.

For future reference, BCM posted a how-to here awhile back;
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoCompanyUSA View Post
    From speaking with customers, it seems BCM FSB taper pins are harder to remove than some others. When we do it here, we can knock the pins free in under 60 seconds.
    Here are some basic pointers on the way we remove them.

1) It takes Two. You will need a buddy to hold the upper group stable as you pound out the pins. You will not be able to get a good concentrated force on the pins if the upper is wobbling around (even a little bit).

2) Action Jackson. You will need a couple of action blocks (see Brownells for a good selection). These will be great platforms to stabilize the barrel. Also get the Brownells FSB block. You may have to mod the shape of the FSB block if using a free float.

3) Installed from starboard side. Milspec FSB are drill and the reamed for taper pins. The reamer runs from the right to the left (pointing the muzzle at the bad guy). So BCM pins need to be removed from left to right. Cannot be done the opposite way.

4) Secure that carbine. Using action blocks and the buddy system secure the upper group so the left side is facing up.

5) Get a fat one. We do not use those small radius head punches to break the pins free. We use a much fatter punch (5/16”). It’s a meaty sucker. Lots to hang on to, and enables you to put some force on the hammer. Using a 5/16” punch and a 12oz hammer, give her a smack. Anywhere between 1 and 6 smacks, and the pin moves. All you want to do is to get it to move to about flush.

6) Grab a skinny one. Now get the tiny little 1/8” punch to push the pins out of the FSB. They are already broken free, this just drives the fully out. Tap, tap, tap.

7) Celebrate. You are done.

I've removed several BCM FSB's at this point. My method (and keep in mind... I started as an AK guy, so it's not as proper as BCM's) is to lay the upper on a wood plank and sit that on the floor. I don't use the bench/action blocks, but just a couple of wood blocks that I cut to fit around the barrel to support it. One goes somewhere between the receiver and FSB, the other just in front of the FSB, and then I have a little block to lay under the FSB "tower".

Sit down, boots go on the barrel to pin it down against the blocks, and then I use a fat steel punch and a couple hard whacks. Paul isn't shitting you when he says between 1-6 hits. No oil, no heat, no cussing, no drama... don't even have to bother a buddy. I'm not doing them all day or taking peoples' money to do it correctly, but that is working for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    I dont' know if it has shaken my confidence in my ability to work on my guns. But it has come pretty close.
    Kwelz, that FSB is dead.

You armorer long enough, something like this happens.

In my gun store in Vietnam, we ruined 1 out of every 10 FSB's. Dozens of pins.

The first one dies, you die too.

But there will be others.

You can count on it.

You've got to let the FSB go, you've got to let it go.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I use a 1" Brownells gunsmith hammer, a vise and barrel jaws. I have must have a miracle touch because I get them apart with no problem.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Wondering just how many times you've done that IG? Hundreds at least, maybe a thousand??

OP, yes you lost a FSB, some dignity, and had a slice of humble pie, but I bet you also learned a few things and at a minimum you provided the M4C gang one of the most entertaining FSB removal story's I've ever read. There is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I use a 1" Brownells gunsmith hammer, a vise and barrel jaws. I have must have a miracle touch because I get them apart with no problem.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I've taken off more FSP's than I can remember. I used to use a Brownells bench block and taper pin punches. 99.7% of the time, pins came loose with one or two taps. The other .3% of the time, extra effort was required along with a 3rd hand.

I recently started using the X-Ring Products AR-15 Front Sight Removal Tool. It allows for perfect alignment of the punch on the taper pin and eliminates the chance of the punch slipping off the pin.

http://www.xringproducts.com/X_Ring_Products.php
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 01-19-17 at 06:26.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast