Thread: Odd FN M4A1 "Carbine"

Feedback Score

Odd FN M4A1 "Carbine"

I recently had the chance to inspect what appears to be a FN16 converted to an M4A1. It had the standard 6 position stock, Knights RAS and Matech Buis.

Last edited by OH58D; 08-19-18 at 09:24.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    It was an FN made M16A2 or M16A4 and converted to an M4. I saw some similar to this in Iraq with the U.S. Air Force, except they were Colts and some other weird one.

Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    I was recently visiting with friends at Fort Knox, home of US Army Cadet Command, and I had a chance to inspect one of the "carbines" used for BRM and dragging around for 21 day FTX's by Advanced Course ROTC Cadets. These things get beat to hell and I had never seen markings on the side of the FN Carbine like this, so I present them here for your review. I am guessing this lower started out as an FN16 and was re-purposed as an M4A1. It has the traditional 6 position stock, Knights RAS and Matech Buis:

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, looks like M16 converted to M4, then to M4A1.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's pretty cool. In basic, my M16A4 had the 2 crossed out and restamped 4 right next to it. It seemed a little ghetto, but it worked.

Feedback Score
    Yep Army is back to doing that again like in 80s to rifles I'd seen GM Hydros, H&Rs and Colts done that way. Some was old Colts that was OEM Mil property marked as AR 15 re-stamped M16a1 and M16s re-stamped M16a1 with newer uppers with forward assist. I wish I'd been snapping pictures of them now I'd bet my Command would have crapped a brick if I did. In fact some A.D. Inf units was still using them in to mid 90s... I was.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blade_68 View Post
    Yep Army is back to doing that again like in 80s to rifles I'd seen GM Hydros, H&Rs and Colts done that way. Some was old Colts that was OEM Mil property marked as AR 15 re-stamped M16a1 and M16s re-stamped M16a1 with newer uppers with forward assist. I wish I'd been snapping pictures of them now I'd bet my Command would have crapped a brick if I did. In fact some A.D. Inf units was still using them in to mid 90s... I was.
    LOL! I was a grunt from 83-87 and the M16A1 was still the weapon issued by the Army at that time. In Panama mine was a Hydra-matic but I recall seeing a Colt lower stamped XM16E1.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    I recently had the chance to inspect what appears to be a FN16 converted to an M4A1. It had the standard 6 position stock, Knights RAS and Matech Buis.
    OP, if you remember, was the fire selector markings also altered?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF?Shane View Post
    OP, if you remember, was the fire selector markings also altered?
    If I remember, it was not.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879