Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Knight's Armament stripped lowers coming soon

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Ladies and Germs, the lower hath arrived. Sorry JP no britches tightening opportunity here because unfortunately my lower is flippin' immaculate. That won't last long because I am gonna run this thing like a scalded dog.
    I should have known by now, not to count my chickens before they hatch. Or in context, don't say the trigger guard fits, unless the fat lady pin has been driven in. Because I can promise you as much as I thought the holes in my KAC stripped lower and the holes in my KAC trigger guard matched up - in real life they did not.

Not by a long shot in reality. Before I ever got my KAC lower, I already decided how I was going to build it. I wasn't going to treat it "special" Truth is, my KAC lower, isn't a whole lot more $$ than I spent on my Noveske lower. So my intent was to follow my build SOP, like i did my Noveske, like I've done with every lower. Only exception was the KAC trigger guard. I thought it would be cool to use the KAC trigger guard on the KAC lower. I had the trigger guard long before my lower arrived from smallarmsales.com. so when the lower arrived at my FFL Tuesday, I was ready like Freddy.

I had read there were fitment issues with the trigger guard, but I was hoping that was a one-off isolated incident or two. Maybe it's my bad for not digging deeper. But when I picked up my lower, the first thing I did was try the trigger guard - sans the pin. I eyeballed and it looked good. I figured I'd take care of it as I was building it out. So when I started the build and got to the part where I wanted to finish the trigger guard, I was thinking standard procedure for trigger guard. Brace in such a way you don't risk damaging or breaking the tabs. Lined up the pin using my roll pin punch, and started tap it in with my nylon hammer. After the 2nd strike I heard the sound that tells me that I'm not driving a roll pin through something, but instead striking against it. I checked the alignment of the pin, it was in straight. But by the amount of pin still left to drive in, I knew I had not even penetrated the trigger guard holes. So I pulled the roll pin out. I have some pics that shows where the trigger guard was being struck. What you see on the tabs of my lower was some slight damage to the finish trying to get the roll pin out.

But wait! There's more!
    What good AR builder encounters a problem without trying out other parts? None in my book. So I took out my de facto standard trigger guard that I use on every AR I build - the ever faithful and NEVER uninstallable DSG Arms billet trigger guard. (did you catch the"never uninstallable" part?) The DSG Arms trigger guard snugged and and in just a few whacks, I had the trigger guard installed on my KAC lower. In a way this is great right? At least I know my lower isn't out of spec. Right?

But wait!!! There's MORE!!!

What good AR builder stops there without at least trying the KAC trigger guard in another lower? None in my book. So I take my KAC trigger guard, and almost already believing it will fail, simply installed the KAC trigger guard in my Noveske lower. I Popped the pin out, and grabbed my normal lower receiver, an Aero Precision. I installed the KAC trigger guard in the Aero also!
    At this point I am glad I don't have any more stripped lowers of a different brand (They could have been from the same manufacturer) because at that point, I only had one new trigger pin left. (Thank goodness for my spare parts bins!)

But this really gave me pause. And irritated the freaking crap out of me. Thinking to myself...."So this #$&(@$?! trigger guard from Knights Armament will install in EVERY #$#*Q$^ lower receiver I have except the one made by the same company that made the trigger guard?!?!?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!?! I think I actually said that aloud.

But the story doesn't end where so many ill-fated stories end. A tale of a fateful trip. That started from this tropic port, aboard this tiny ship....oh snap. Sorry. I've lost a little bit of sanity over this thing!

Now to the pictures....

Divot in trigger guard, off-center from the hole.

I checked from the other side and the misalignment was still visible. But at this point I have to be honest. I'm still having a hard time believing that I've got a KAC Lower and a KAC trigger guard and the two are acting like they not only were NOT made by the same manufacturer, but not even to the stand specification standard.

This pic is a close up of the trigger guard with annotations.

This is just a close of up the shavings and anodizing that came off during the install.

So after talking to a friend, I decided to try and drill out the hole. I happened to have a bit slightly larger than the hole. I secured the trigger guard in my vise, stuck out my tongue like Michael Jordan, and drilled through it. Success! I was finally able to drive the fat lady pin through the rear trigger guard holes and secure it.

So in the end, I have a nicely built lower. I'm going to be making a post in the Custom Build thread because it really turned out to be a really nice AR. I have yet to truly test it on the range though, so for now it just looks good. But it is built with quality parts and I know for a fact, the upper runs like a 3 legged dog in a fox chase.

Since we are on the topic of my VERY FIRST encounter with KAC firearm parts, I'll throw a couple of observations out regarding my lower.

- This lower was the most difficult lower to get my simple as pie CMC drop-in trigger installed. It seemed like the trigger pin holes were not perfectly aligned, because it took a lot of effort to get the trigger pin in. The hammer pin went in without much fuss. But I will say there are 10 AR's before this one, that did not even give me half of the difficulty this one did.

- My magazines do not drop freely when I hit the mag release. I double-checked the mag release - it is sub-surface in the magwell when the mag catch button is depressed. I even adjusted it outside of the normal "7" turns or so I give it. Again, of all the lowers or AR's I've built, this is the FIRST time, a loaded mag would not fall from the mag well. I tested two mags. One was an older OKAY mag, loaded with about 10 rounds. (This mag is in my shop for this specific reason). I also tested a fully loaded Lancer mag. Neither mag would fall out of the mag well. They weren't stuck per se, as when I grabbed it, it took nothing to get the mag out, but again....and all I have is my experience and the knowledge that has been passed to me, but this is a first.

Everything else was solid. It was an immaculate lower (Operative word "was".) even now, there isn't any real damage - just a little on the outer rim of the trigger pin hole. I don't even care about that. BecaUse this lower was not not built to be special, I built it to run the ever living **** out of it. I used Battle Arms enhanced pivot and take down and they installed well. It marries up to my upper (a good quality upper) and locks in just fine.

So these kinds of things, excepting the trigger guard, could just be part of the build process, although I would have expected to run into these issues, especially using what many consider to be inferior lowers in the Aero. They aren't inferior to me because they have all built out nicely and they have all ran perfectly.

I'm hoping my KAC lower runs as good as they do. Don't anyone get all offended by that statement. It is meant exactly as I said it. I still am happy that I bought this lower. No spilled milk or sour grapes or whatever that saying is.

I just wanted to correct my previous statement about a good fitment of the trigger guard and lay down my other experiences.

Good luck with yours! I can't wait to shoot mine. Custom build post coming soon.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Robert, yea I may take you up on that trigger guard then lol

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I should have known by now, not to count my chickens before they hatch. Or in context, don't say the trigger guard fits, unless the fat lady pin has been driven in. Because I can promise you as much as I thought the holes in my KAC stripped lower and the holes in my KAC trigger guard matched up - in real life they did not.

Not by a long shot in reality. Before I ever got my KAC lower, I already decided how I was going to build it. I wasn't going to treat it "special" Truth is, my KAC lower, isn't a whole lot more $$ than I spent on my Noveske lower. So my intent was to follow my build SOP, like i did my Noveske, like I've done with every lower. Only exception was the KAC trigger guard. I thought it would be cool to use the KAC trigger guard on the KAC lower. I had the trigger guard long before my lower arrived from smallarmsales.com. so when the lower arrived at my FFL Tuesday, I was ready like Freddy.

I had read there were fitment issues with the trigger guard, but I was hoping that was a one-off isolated incident or two. Maybe it's my bad for not digging deeper. But when I picked up my lower, the first thing I did was try the trigger guard - sans the pin. I eyeballed and it looked good. I figured I'd take care of it as I was building it out. So when I started the build and got to the part where I wanted to finish the trigger guard, I was thinking standard procedure for trigger guard. Brace in such a way you don't risk damaging or breaking the tabs. Lined up the pin using my roll pin punch, and started tap it in with my nylon hammer. After the 2nd strike I heard the sound that tells me that I'm not driving a roll pin through something, but instead striking against it. I checked the alignment of the pin, it was in straight. But by the amount of pin still left to drive in, I knew I had not even penetrated the trigger guard holes. So I pulled the roll pin out. I have some pics that shows where the trigger guard was being struck. What you see on the tabs of my lower was some slight damage to the finish trying to get the roll pin out.

But wait! There's more!
    What good AR builder encounters a problem without trying out other parts? None in my book. So I took out my de facto standard trigger guard that I use on every AR I build - the ever faithful and NEVER uninstallable DSG Arms billet trigger guard. (did you catch the"never uninstallable" part?) The DSG Arms trigger guard snugged and and in just a few whacks, I had the trigger guard installed on my KAC lower. In a way this is great right? At least I know my lower isn't out of spec. Right?

But wait!!! There's MORE!!!

What good AR builder stops there without at least trying the KAC trigger guard in another lower? None in my book. So I take my KAC trigger guard, and almost already believing it will fail, simply installed the KAC trigger guard in my Noveske lower. I Popped the pin out, and grabbed my normal lower receiver, an Aero Precision. I installed the KAC trigger guard in the Aero also!
    At this point I am glad I don't have any more stripped lowers of a different brand (They could have been from the same manufacturer) because at that point, I only had one new trigger pin left. (Thank goodness for my spare parts bins!)

But this really gave me pause. And irritated the freaking crap out of me. Thinking to myself...."So this #$&(@$?! trigger guard from Knights Armament will install in EVERY #$#*Q$^ lower receiver I have except the one made by the same company that made the trigger guard?!?!?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!?! I think I actually said that aloud.

But the story doesn't end where so many ill-fated stories end. A tale of a fateful trip. That started from this tropic port, aboard this tiny ship....oh snap. Sorry. I've lost a little bit of sanity over this thing!

Now to the pictures....

Divot in trigger guard, off-center from the hole.

I checked from the other side and the misalignment was still visible. But at this point I have to be honest. I'm still having a hard time believing that I've got a KAC Lower and a KAC trigger guard and the two are acting like they not only were NOT made by the same manufacturer, but not even to the stand specification standard.

This pic is a close up of the trigger guard with annotations.

This is just a close of up the shavings and anodizing that came off during the install.

So after talking to a friend, I decided to try and drill out the hole. I happened to have a bit slightly larger than the hole. I secured the trigger guard in my vise, stuck out my tongue like Michael Jordan, and drilled through it. Success! I was finally able to drive the fat lady pin through the rear trigger guard holes and secure it.

So in the end, I have a nicely built lower. I'm going to be making a post in the Custom Build thread because it really turned out to be a really nice AR. I have yet to truly test it on the range though, so for now it just looks good. But it is built with quality parts and I know for a fact, the upper runs like a 3 legged dog in a fox chase.

Since we are on the topic of my VERY FIRST encounter with KAC firearm parts, I'll throw a couple of observations out regarding my lower.

- This lower was the most difficult lower to get my simple as pie CMC drop-in trigger installed. It seemed like the trigger pin holes were not perfectly aligned, because it took a lot of effort to get the trigger pin in. The hammer pin went in without much fuss. But I will say there are 10 AR's before this one, that did not even give me half of the difficulty this one did.

- My magazines do not drop freely when I hit the mag release. I double-checked the mag release - it is sub-surface in the magwell when the mag catch button is depressed. I even adjusted it outside of the normal "7" turns or so I give it. Again, of all the lowers or AR's I've built, this is the FIRST time, a loaded mag would not fall from the mag well. I tested two mags. One was an older OKAY mag, loaded with about 10 rounds. (This mag is in my shop for this specific reason). I also tested a fully loaded Lancer mag. Neither mag would fall out of the mag well. They weren't stuck per se, as when I grabbed it, it took nothing to get the mag out, but again....and all I have is my experience and the knowledge that has been passed to me, but this is a first.

Everything else was solid. It was an immaculate lower (Operative word "was".) even now, there isn't any real damage - just a little on the outer rim of the trigger pin hole. I don't even care about that. BecaUse this lower was not not built to be special, I built it to run the ever living **** out of it. I used Battle Arms enhanced pivot and take down and they installed well. It marries up to my upper (a good quality upper) and locks in just fine.

So these kinds of things, excepting the trigger guard, could just be part of the build process, although I would have expected to run into these issues, especially using what many consider to be inferior lowers in the Aero. They aren't inferior to me because they have all built out nicely and they have all ran perfectly.

I'm hoping my KAC lower runs as good as they do. Don't anyone get all offended by that statement. It is meant exactly as I said it. I still am happy that I bought this lower. No spilled milk or sour grapes or whatever that saying is.

I just wanted to correct my previous statement about a good fitment of the trigger guard and lay down my other experiences.

Good luck with yours! I can't wait to shoot mine. Custom build post coming soon.

I thought something didn't look right in your prior post photo.... I am curious what others have to say...

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    I thought something didn't look right in your prior post photo.... I am curious what others have to say...
    Yeah still kicking myself over that "firearm faux pas". The adage of don't assume would hold true except there is only an ass and a me. LOL I'd like to say in the end it all worked out, but to be honest I'm not 100% there. Not until I run the mess out of this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Robert, yea I may take you up on that trigger guard then lol
    JP, I have one left but I got no pins left!
    If you have the pin, you'd be all set. Let me know how yours goes & if you need it.

Or if you want to know the size of drill bit I used. Lol

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Knight's Armament stripped lowers coming soon

And I just want to throw this out there...
    I only invented like 3 new cuss words during this entire process. Maybe 4. Ok tops 10 but absolutely no more than that. Or 20.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here's the pic with the offset a2 grip, fits fine on other lowers.

Edit*

Got out my IWS for comparison, it doesn't stick out as far but it's more prononce than my other rifles with A2 grips. Nothing I can't fix in 10 minutes with a little elbow grease, for both guns.

Last edited by Turnkey11; 03-18-17 at 01:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    KAC trigger guard wouldn't even remotely fit though, but nothing a Dremel & some Alumi-Black couldn't fix.

Hate to say "I told ya so" but...
    Good luck with that trigger guard. Hope it fits better than mine did.
    Hey Texas Bob, I hate to tell ya "I told you so" but I'm gonna... again.

Instead of making up new cuss words, I just said "Are you ****ing kidding me?" about 20 times throughout the whole month long process. The majority of it was because of the vendor. The TG was just the icing on that cake.

Well anyway, you know my whole "behind the scenes" story. Lessons learned and that...
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Hey Texas Bob, I hate to tell ya "I told you so" but I'm gonna... again.

Instead of making up new cuss words, I just said "Are you ****ing kidding me?" about 20 times throughout the whole month long process. The majority of it was because of the vendor. The TG was just the icing on that cake.

Well anyway, you know my whole "behind the scenes" story. Lessons learned and that...
    Ya got me me! Lol I don't know why I thought mine would be different. Oh yeah now I remember why I thought that. Welllllll that didn't work out now did it? lol
    But that's also partly why I only invented cuss words and can talk about it with a little humor, and even laugh at myself because bro I did remember that guys in a similar endeavor ended up with a lot more **** on their boots than I did. So I still have a little something to be thankful for.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Who has the KAC in stock?

Grant, you still have stripped Colt lowers?

Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast