Page 59 of 78 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Knight's Armament stripped lowers coming soon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I should have known by now, not to count my chickens before they hatch. Or in context, don't say the trigger guard fits, unless the fat lady pin has been driven in. Because I can promise you as much as I thought the holes in my KAC stripped lower and the holes in my KAC trigger guard matched up - in real life they did not.
    Add another one to the list of those who bought a KAC stripped lower and trigger guard, and them not fitting together. I pretty much destroyed my KAC trigger guard before giving up. Live and learn.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_TheGunNut View Post
    Add another one to the list of those who bought a KAC stripped lower and trigger guard, and them not fitting together. I pretty much destroyed my KAC trigger guard before giving up. Live and learn.
    I almost did the same.

But in the end I got it mounted, but it was a matter of principle at that point. Did you by chance reach out to Knights? I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Are the "problem" lowers 7xxxx or 8xxxx?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    I'd like to know as well. I almost picked one up yesterday at my LGS however, RTT's post stopped me dead in my tracks.

BTW, the one I looked at, was perfect. No blems to speak of.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have three KMO17XXX series lowers. Two of which had no real issues when installing KAC trigger guards. I do not have a 3rd trigger guard.
    Last edited by Grip; 03-19-17 at 22:12.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Scooter are you referring to the leading digit? Mine is a KM0170XXX.

Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    I'd like to know as well. I almost picked one up yesterday at my LGS however, RTT's post stopped me dead in my tracks.

BTW, the one I looked at, was perfect. No blems to speak of.
    BR,
    My lower was visually immaculate. Not even a smudge. So the problem isn't so visible just looking at the lower. I did contact Knight's last night. (through their "Contact Us" page) but I could only use 500 characters so my message was pretty brief. I have some understanding of manufacturing processes, and this one is pretty confusing.

To be honest it would have made more sense if my KAC trigger guard did not work in ANY lower, but the fact it worked on my Noveske and Aero but not the KAC lower. I mean what the what?!

Likewise with the lower I would expect no trigger guards work. Not just the KAC.

So I'm hoping to gain some clarity with all this. I'm hoping all of us can benefit from understanding what is happening can restore some confidence. At least with me.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

BR,
    My lower was visually immaculate. Not even a smudge. So the problem isn't so visible just looking at the lower. I did contact Knight's last night. (through their "Contact Us" page) but I could only use 500 characters so my message was pretty brief. I have some understanding of manufacturing processes, and this one is pretty confusing.

To be honest it would have made more sense if my KAC trigger guard did not work in ANY lower, but the fact it worked on my Noveske and Aero but not the KAC lower. I mean what the what?!

Likewise with the lower I would expect no trigger guards work. Not just the KAC.

So I'm hoping to gain some clarity with all this. I'm hoping all of us can benefit from understanding what is happening can restore some confidence. At least with me.

Thanks brother. Please keep us updated.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Knight's Armament stripped lowers coming soon

BR,

F2S posted about the blems & trigger guard issues on TOS. Check it out & it'll likely answer any questions you had. I'm actually kinda surprised he didn't cross post his response here.

The TG issue is caused by some of the lowers having longer "ears". The "problem" is with the lower, not the TG. Even on those, many other brands TGs will still work. On mine, the Magpul enhanced TGs still worked on the lowers that wouldn't except the KAC TGs. It depends on their design.

I hope it's ok but here's what F2S posted on TOS:

I can openly confirm that this release was completely an effort to get lower consumer cost KAC receivers to those that would be happy with TDP type lowers. The decision to initiate a forging purchase, with parts on shelf in time for SHOT was well before the election, and the worst case scenario was that Clinton would be elected and a buying frenzy would catch us with insufficient product on shelf to meet demand. The quantity of forgings planned for this is well in excess of anything we would stock or "overrun". New production started with the "KM017XXXX" serial number range, based on a traditional TDP type drawing that was in-house from something years ago. I cannot comment as to what those were for, but when the initial demand hit, it was remembered that we had "matching" product stored away in sufficient quantity to relieve the pressure from SHOT. It was later discovered that while those parts had gone through a QC process, that process was not the same as what is currently applied to 5.56 lowers or rifles.

It is entirely reasonable that a buyer would want to install the KAC triggerguard.
    The forward protrusion of the ears that block installation of the KAC triggerguard is a result of forging dimension. When that drawing was created a different forging was used, and a different dimensional confirmation protocol than our "standard" ambi lower was used post-machining, which was rolled into the first "17" lower run. These also featured the counter-bored take-down and pivot pin holes. The same final QC process was applied to the first "17" run as was called for on the "8" run, which was TDP/mil-spec functionality driven.

These were mistakes, as it allowed a product to reach commercial customers with a significantly higher probability of minor cosmetic blemishes (they are still type II class 3) and forging dings, or show longer "ear" protrusion that could block installation of the new KAC triggerguard without minor fitting. We knew that there would be primarily two types of customers that would buy these lowers; folks that wanted a KAC lower for guns that would be shot, and folks that wanted a neat piece of KAC history at a monumental time in US history.

Yes, we are taking a beating here and over at other similar forums over these. However, for all of the gnashing of teeth, we currently have less than 10 returns here ever since the release began. Even if that number increases to 500%, the return rate is low enough for me to know that the vast majority of customers are happy with their purchase. Believe me, every RMA, every customer complaint pains us, and initiates a process and QA review to ensure that we are delivering to expectation. That said, it is indeed true that we are a military/government oriented company, so the QA procedures reflect MIL-STD/MIL-PRF acceptance requirements, and since we do not run separate manufacturing lines for product, sometimes items that are just inside the mil/gov acceptance range get out to commercial buyers. Some customers are ok with that, some are not. For those that are not happy, as always, let us know and we will do everything within reason to meet reasonable expectation.

Even with the criticism that we have faced over these, I am still happy that we did it.
    Last edited by Ryno12; 03-20-17 at 00:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    F2S posted about the blems & trigger guard issues on TOS. Check it out & it'll likely answer any questions you had. I'm actually kinda surprised he didn't cross post his response here.

The TG issue is caused by some of the lowers having longer "ears". The "problem" is with the lower, not the TG. Even on those, many other brands TGs will still work. On mine, the Magpul enhanced TGs still worked on the lowers that wouldn't except the KAC TGs. It depends on their design.

I hope it's ok but here's what F2S posted on TOS:
    I'm surprised that they haven't just cut off new orders, filled existing orders and scrapped the whole thing. It's a mess for sure and I imagine that it's a huge headache. Not to mention somewhat embarrassing. As I sit here waiting on my replacement lower, I'm glad they did it. And I'm looking forward to receiving my lower. But I'm sure some folks in Titusville are thinking that no good deed goes unpunished. I'm also sure that they are taking quite a beating on the forums. But one thing I know about KAC is that they will do everything they can to make it right.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think all the complaining is eventually going to make things like this not happen anymore.

Page 59 of 78 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast