Thread: MSA Sordin Pro X vs Comtac III's w/ Comms

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

MSA Sordin Pro X vs Comtac III's w/ Comms

I've been looking at over the ear protection, specifically the MSA Sordin Pro X and the Comtac III's. One of the main differences I've seen is that the Comtac III's can come with integrated comms. Do the Sordins offer a solid comm option as well? I've not seen anything except some aftermarket solutions that looked rather ineloquent, so I thought I'd ask here.

Also, for the Comtac w/ comms, is the comm plug removable for days where comms aren't being utilized? Or is it a permanent thing that just dangles off the headset when not in use?

Any advantage to the single comm vs dual comm in the comtacs, besides the obvious additional radio?

I'd be buying mostly for hearing protection use, but also want the capability to run a radio through them for training courses, etc.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Sordins can be had with a single or dual comm cable. Mic can be for either a left or right handed shooter, however it is permanently attached. The TCI Liberator is a slightly more rugged version of the Sordins, however I have never used them.

The COMTACs mic can be removed, however the cable lead for the PTT can not be. Nothing that a twist tie or tape can't fix, and the added bonus of being able to replace the mics if they shit the bed is a huge plus.

The audio quality of Sordins is significantly clearer and "louder" than COMTACs, but they are nowhere near as durable. I went through three pairs of issued Sordins in 7 months in Afghanistan. Two pairs had the mic just spontaneously die, and the third has a permanent feedbacking squeal in the left ear. I had no problems with COMTACs over three years of use, and I never had to replace the mic. Changing batteries is also much easier with the COMTACs than Sordins.

If you go dual comm, it sends the signal in mono to the corresponding ear cup. Just an FYI in case you only need to connect to one radio.

I currently own two pairs of Sordins that I personally purchased, as I prefer their audio quality to Peltors and accept the fact that I may break them some day. Were I still in, I would only use the COMTACs.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

MSA Sordin Pro X vs Comtac III's w/ Comms

Deleted. Post wasn't really relevant to OP's questions.
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 01-19-17 at 15:26.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)

I knew I had this clip somewhere.

The exact moment my Sordin's mic decided to just give up.
    Last edited by GTF425; 01-19-17 at 17:58. Reason: Shortened original video

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The sound quality will be a lot better on the MSA Sordins, I'm not sure if it's the chipset but the stereo quality is definitely better. I've had mine since around 2010, with intermittent civilian and duty use. Still working fine, but I'm not a HSLD guy.

I bought the Peltors because they fit the Ops Core adapters directly. The wire running from your ear-cups to the Push-to-talk interface are not removeable, but some companies like TNVC sell solutions (like the MoHawk) that let you secure the cable when not in use.

My Peltors link in with MBITR radios--not sure what kind of radios your unit or agency uses, but make sure you clear that up if you do intend on using them for actual comms.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    I've been looking at over the ear protection, specifically the MSA Sordin Pro X and the Comtac III's. One of the main differences I've seen is that the Comtac III's can come with integrated comms. Do the Sordins offer a solid comm option as well? I've not seen anything except some aftermarket solutions that looked rather ineloquent, so I thought I'd ask here.

Also, for the Comtac w/ comms, is the comm plug removable for days where comms aren't being utilized? Or is it a permanent thing that just dangles off the headset when not in use?

Any advantage to the single comm vs dual comm in the comtacs, besides the obvious additional radio?

I'd be buying mostly for hearing protection use, but also want the capability to run a radio through them for training courses, etc.
    Do you have or are you planning on integrating with an ACH or OP's-core etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    The COMTACs mic can be removed, however the cable lead for the PTT can not be. Nothing that a twist tie or tape can't fix, and the added bonus of being able to replace the mics if they shit the bed is a huge plus.
    To me, this is a huge advantage. I can upgrade the mic (as long as its compatible) and get great sound from the COMTACs. Im not a huge fan of the Sordins, durability being one of the main theme's in this thread as well; the COMTACs are just way more solid.

I found this article: Peltor COMTAC vs MSA Sordin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post

I've had both and used both, extensively, and my vote is for the Comtac III ... far superior quality of sound, and everything else. My .02, FWIW