Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lame Ammo question: What to stock up on for doomsday...193, 855, 262 or 318

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I just picked up some Magtech since I have been getting good accuracy.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My long-term stash of 5.56 is a mix of CBC Magtech 262 clone, Hornady 62gr TAP, and Rio 855, all sealed up in ammo cans. Covers the bases for me. I don't use 55gr for anything but plinking and drills inside 100m, but I keep some around because it's cheap.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 01-21-17 at 19:04.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wild variances in trajectory across the bullet weight spectrum are why I purged all of my 193 stash. I went all heavies for consistency with a few cans of 855 just because it's somewhat flat shooting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I keep it simple, all my "stock pile" ammo is m193 spec and m855 spec stuff, usually Fed. AE xm193 and AE xm855, or both flavors of PMC xtac........ All my plinking, and practice ammo is 223 powered factory brass cased stuff like Fed AE223, or PMC bronze, steel cased Tula stuff for when I shoot in places that brass recovery is chore, or my own mild handloads in mixed brass with 55 grain FMJ Hornady or PPU projectiles. About once or twice a year I'll shoot a couple hundred rounds of xm193, or xm855 just because, and to also add some fresh LC brass to the reloading pile to replace culls and lost cases.

Feedback Score
    Buy. Buy cheap, but buy!

Which kind? the answer is... Yes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    The High Lord and Exalted Savior Donald Trump told me to diversify. I quit worrying about SHTF ammo and simply stocked up on a variety of ammo across the board. My Magtech and IMI 55gr. both shoot very good as does my MEN 56gr.

I also have a few thousand rounds of 77gr. (Magtech), 75gr. TAP, Speer Gold Dot (55gr. and 64gr.) and other stuff. Aside from having good ammo for accuracy testing, etc.. I quit worrying about the super duper wonderbullet and focused on multiple magic pills in the right spot.
    We must be on the same Trump channel. 1000 of m855. 1000 CBC 55gr. 1750 of CBC 77gr. (This is what is keep loaded in the mags for things that may go bump in the night) 500 of 55gr gold dots. 500 of x tac and 500 of various m193. I reload mk262 clone loads (77smk or 75 hornady match) that I do all my training/shooting with.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not sure why people like stocking up on M855 garbage.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I can be a reliable round. But it doesn't do anything very good. Beats having a bunch of steel cased ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I can be a reliable round. But it doesn't do anything very good. Beats having a bunch of steel cased ammo.
    Which raises the question: what bulk ammo to get if you want to have same POI as some of the 62 grain defense rounds (like fusion MSR)?

I really wish there was a 62gr equiv to the Wolf Gold M193 Taiwanese stuff.

PMC PTAC seems to be the closest I can find. Does Men or similar make something better than the Federal XM855 stuff we love to hate on?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If you are looking for a round with mil-spec primers, sealed and crimped and tar sealant around the bullet you can always get something like IMI M193. M855 sucks for pretty much everything, poor terminal ballistics and I cant shoot steel with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Which raises the question: what bulk ammo to get if you want to have same POI as some of the 62 grain defense rounds (like fusion MSR)?

I really wish there was a 62gr equiv to the Wolf Gold M193 Taiwanese stuff.

PMC PTAC seems to be the closest I can find. Does Men or similar make something better than the Federal XM855 stuff we love to hate on?
    Since Federal fusion is still .223 velocity you can get something like .223 62gr FMJ Prvi. But honestly if you're shooting 100 yards and in, the difference in POI is negligible.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-29-17 at 14:21.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast