Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Modular Handgun System contract award

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    When the program started one of the main goals was to adopt a bigger/more powerful round. Swapping from 92s to 320s seems like it might be an improvement, but not much of one. But yeah, I know the ever swinging pendulum is back on 9mm for now.
    I believe the exact phrase was, "enhanced lethality," with Big Green opening competition to both larger calibers and to JHPs.

The chief improvements that the P320 or Glock would bring to the table over the 92 is that they're lighter, smaller, simpler (well, the Glock is at least), and offer a railed dust cover allowing the attachment of lights and lasers. Things that are nice to have in a service pistol.

Although, to be fair, most of the people in the military who would have use of such things have been carrying M45s, M45A1s, M9A1s, G19s, G17s, G22s, HK45Cs, P226/Mk25s, &c. for years and aren't likely to swap out to the SiG any time soon.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    The chief improvements that the P320 or Glock would bring to the table over the 92 is that they're lighter, smaller, simpler (well, the Glock is at least), and offer a railed dust cover allowing the attachment of lights and lasers. Things that are nice to have in a service pistol.
    I agree. It isn't nothing.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    $580,217,000?! When I was in I was handed a WWII vintage S&W Victory Model, holstered it, and went out to defeat Godless communism. By gum, we did it, too.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Semi-necro:

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    No. The way Glock field strips eternally ensures that shall never happen.

Meh It's just a pistol and I'm glad the Army is buying them because I most certainly am not.

I have a 30 year old P226 that I am constantly in a debate of whether I should keep it or not
    It should be a matter of national embarrassment that one of the only First World countries on earth to allow civilians to carry handguns for personal protection has a military (and civilian LE) that cannot figure out Glocks (or handguns in general), while the UK, Israel, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Austria, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Venezuela, Yemen, and bloody Pakistan don't seem to have a problem with them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe Mattis can get it sorted out.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    There will likely be one less military base in Europe as a result of this one. Especially when you consider how it went down.
    We pump almost 3 Billion into the Italian economy every year, they don't want us going anywhere.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Semi-necro:

It should be a matter of national embarrassment that one of the only First World countries on earth to allow civilians to carry handguns for personal protection has a military (and civilian LE) that cannot figure out Glocks (or handguns in general), while the UK, Israel, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Austria, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Venezuela, Yemen, and bloody Pakistan don't seem to have a problem with them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interestingly Saudi Arabian Army MPs carry Glocks with left-side external thumb safeties.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Semi-necro:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

65% of US Law Enforcement uses Glock, and have them and handguns in general "figured out," why should we be embarrassed? US Law Enforcement is a larger demographic than half the Countries military you have listed.
    Last edited by KCBRUIN; 01-20-17 at 01:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBRUIN View Post
    65% of US Law Enforcement uses Glock, and have them and handguns in general "figured out," why should we be embarrassed? US Law Enforcement is a larger demographic than half the Countries military you have listed.
    Very true.

The British armed forces number something like 144,000 spread out between Army, Navy, Marine and Air forces. How many of those are even issued rifles, let alone handguns ? For comparison the NYPD alone has 34,000 uniformed officers.

It makes sense that the U.S. military is going to procure something as idiot proof as possible for GI, especially considering the very low priority handguns likely have in terms of training and actual combat use.
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Other than concealment purposes, isn't the trigger reach and grip circumference the same on the Sig? That has always cracked me up, "oh, she has a small hand, better give her a G19"
    So, other than for concealment, I don't see the advantage and we know it's not for caliber change although someone sold that bill of goods.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    So I wonder how many slides/grips will be ordered compared to the chassis "gun."

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast