Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Modular Handgun System contract award

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Side note- let's say Sig charged $1k per pistol, a ridiculous amount, that's 580,217 pistols. I would love to see how they are planning on issuing those out. There are simply not enough Captains working in S2 in Afghanistan to man those... The rest will sit in storage.
    No need to speculate too much. Several articles have reported that the Army will purchase approximately 280,000 full size pistols and 7,000 compacts, while other services will buy 212,000 pistols. I swear I saw an article that specifies the exact numbers under the initial contract, but I can't seem to find it now, so maybe they didn't release specific numbers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Damn, just like on the 1911 sub forum, lots of anti-Sig hate.

The FCU is nothing like a Glock, the S&W99 is, and the Sigma before it on the Glock copies comment.

The trigger is rated @ 5½ to 7½ lbs.
    Mine on a Lyman digital is right on 6.0 lbs. Crisp break and very audible/felt reset.

I sold my G-23 after "trying" the 320 trigger while in the LGS, wasn't even looking
    for a new carry gun. The small grip module in compact with a FS slide
    makes a great carry piece "for me".

As soon as I saw the announcement, I knew there would be butt-hurt.

Glock 19 Gen 5
    Colt Combat Commander

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My thoughts on this development:
    We're still using ball ammunition right? It is my understanding that there just isn't much difference between 9mm, .40, .45 or .357 ball ammo, am I correct? I did handle a 320 in my local GS, upon dry fire I noticed that one side of the slide seemed to lift noticeably as I pressed the trigger. I moved on.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    There are simply not enough Captains working in S2 in Afghanistan to man those... The rest will sit in storage.
    S-3 gonna be rocking these M17s akimbo style all up in the DFAC.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    This is a waste of money, won't really "best" the Beretta if staying with 9mm. The 320 is a decent gun, but the bore line is pretty high. I bet the whole "tailor it to the soldier" with different frame sizes goes out the window once issuing starts. In the end, handguns are mostly an afterthought for big military, so whatever makes them feel good.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    The contract states accessories and ammunition too. Depending on how much ammo SIG is obligated to deliver, the DOD may be getting those pistols for pennies.
    Includes spare parts as well. Street prices for a 320 are around $500. Would not shock me if uncle Sam was paying half that.

Nate
    NAAH Tool Works
    Naahtoolworks@gmail.com

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Pros

1. Lighter.
    2. Rail
    3. I like thumb safety vs da/sa with awkward beretta safetyfor novices. Also prefer it to safetyless designs with std trigger weights like the Glock.
    4. Probably easier to service.
    5. Modularity is actually pretty neat. Neat stuff like integrated laser grip, possible integration of lights and suppressors is the future.

Cons...

1. Probably blasphemy around here but I suspect these guns won't be as durable over the long haul.
    2. Only a tiny improvement for a fairly substantial outlay, retraining , etc.

Feedback Score
    A basic glock 19 as the sidearm would have been a simple solution. Alas.

Feedback Score
    I had really bad luck with my P250. Lots of feeding issues. I'm hoping Sig sorted these out for the P320. I liked the gun and it was comfortable but I couldn't live with the unreliability. If they have the issues ironed out, I wouldn't mind giving this gun a try. Hopefully I can get a chance to shoot one. I like my P220 and will keep shooting that one for a long time.
    Industry Disclosure: I work at a local gun shop.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wouldn't a modular handgun having various extra parts be a logistics nightmare for the supply personnel? The various sgts may tire of others wanting this part but not that and start issuing pistols that are all alike and will remain alike.

Is Beretta still shipping new M9s? Any ideas about what will happen to the current Berettas after the adoption? Storage? Destruction? Sales to other nations? This latter choice would give Beretta USA a good screwing.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast