Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut shells are stupid.

Feedback Score

Cut shells are stupid.

https://youtu.be/ML-TicFwke0

I think I forgot to mention that they'll jam up your shotgun. They also said rude things about your mom. And shotguns are a poor choice for defense, anyway.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I find these test interesting from an academic perspective and mostly as if shit ever gets so bad what can be done. Answer I find is usually stockpile better ammo.

Though, Andrew when you brought up buying proper ammo, you touched on the reason most people want to believe, so hard, that birdshot, or cut shells, or whatever is good enough, at least in my experience. Cost mostly. How much is your life worth? Is all I have to ask. Do you want to roll the dice on just pissing off a guy trying to kill you or do you want them dead and be out $3 more from your bank account? I think this is one of the big things that drives junk ammo and guns in sales, people want to believe that it is good enough. The corollary to this is of course that spending a stupid amount of money means that it is the greatest thing ever when if often isn't.

Sorry for the rant, I tried to censor myself as best I could, I just get tired of listening to guying claiming something is good enough because they don't or won't buy proper quality ammo.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    From what i read, the point of cut shells is to be able to take down deer with a srandard shot gun shell.

The cut shells were originally used in break action guns. These were never intended to be used in pump. These are not defense ammo. These are for survival when you need to make do. Nothing more.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lol @ Fuds comment!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The first time I heard of a cut she'll was in a pinch with buck to extend the range.

In before the "but... so it would work" and "gel test is worthless crowd".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been reading gun literature for almost 60 years, and I've never seen this practice tested or recommended. In passing I've heard it in bs discussions wherein it was never seriously considered.
    Last edited by williejc; 01-20-17 at 21:06. Reason: grammar

Feedback Score
    I'm forced to wonder how the wound from such a "load" might effect the receiver. Is this making a really big hole or not? will it bleed profusely? does a 3" wide by 4" deep cavity in ones chest constitute a wound likely to stop offensive action (lol)? I mean, it's gotta hurt a fellas feelings at least!!

I get the penetration-to-critical-structure and angle of entry and perm wound cavity etc etc. I'm terminal ballistic guy down to the core. obviously it doesnt meet the paper requirements for a reliable stopper. In all seriousness, without talking down to me, what would be the effect on a live target with this sort of wound?

p.s. Andrew, Nice job on promulgating some good information about terminal ballistics. the community has come a long way in the last 6 years because of people like you paying attention to the details.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    It would probably hurt a great deal.

Feedback Score
    I've shot quite a few Raccoons, Coyotes, Possums and Armadillos with 7 1/2 shot 12 gauge as that is what we primarily use for quail hunting on a few hunting preserve's I've managed. Not that any of these critters are threatening my life... but most of the wounds I see when shooting such critters are pretty devastating when shot from close range to 10-20 yards. I understand that they should not be used for HD but from my experience if a person was shot with said round preferably in the face, they would not be having a good day. I've also seen bird hunting dogs shot with said rounds at 20 to 40 yards and its not pretty.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You are correct, ten years ago Harry Whittington did not have a good day when he was shot in the face with 7 1/2 shot. The shooter used a 28 gauge gun and 7 1/2 shot. Whittington had severe health complications as a result of his injuries. He did, however, survive, after removing 200 pellets. He still goes bird hunting at 89. But no, it's not pretty. The main difference is the size and anatomy of the animals typically shot with birdshot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast