Thread: Shotgun leans left and patterns right. What do?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Shotgun leans left and patterns right. What do?

While performing training exercise in my backyard I can feel my shotgun noticeably lean to the left. But when I dry fire and quickly shoulder it, the gun is pointed to the right of where I'm looking. It naturally wants to aim right so if I pattern it I reckon it would print right. Is my barrel off center? How can I check this?

I was thinking of moving the light to the right side to help balance the weight.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by txfactor View Post

While performing training exercise in my backyard I can feel my shotgun noticeably lean to the left. But when I dry fire and quickly shoulder it, the gun is pointed to the right of where I'm looking. It naturally wants to aim right so if I pattern it I reckon it would print right. Is my barrel off center? How can I check this?

I was thinking of moving the light to the right side to help balance the weight.
    Slow down.. Take a deep breath... And start over again. You aren't making much sense to me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm having a bit of trouble understanding too. But......from what I am gathering (????) it sounds like you're not mounting the shotgun correctly. It's not likely the shotgun barrel is off center, but anything is possible. Hold the shotgun out at arms length, Support it under the trigger guard with your left hand and the end of the butt stock with your right. Now look down the gun....does everything look right?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Try the drill with the light and shells removed to see if the extra weight is a factor. It should not be, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Are you shooting right or left hand?

Most shotguns have some degree of "cast off" for a right hand shooter.
    (Cast on for lefties)
    This means the stock is bent slightly to the left as you look at it from the muzzle end.
    A "lefty" is going to have trouble shooting a gun with cast off- for a right hand shooter.
    Bear in mind your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun with a bead/no rifle sights.
    The pattern is adjusted by bending or adjusting the stock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Also you may be placing the butt too far to the right on your shoulder. Try placing it more toward the center of your body.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Have you tried shooting it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    Have you tried shooting it?
    I want to know this as well.
    I can't quire make heads of tails of the OP's post. Leans to the left, but pointed right? What?

Looking at the pic, it doesn't look like the gun should have cast one way or the other, the light and extra shells would make it lean left due to extra weight. If you are shouldering it and it is pointing right it could be far various reasons, from poor stock fit, body type, stance, rolling the gun, and possible eye dominance issues. Without getting a clearer description of what is happening and even seeing it, I don't know.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink